Saturday, August 16, 2008

Self frosting nutella cupcakes.

Before Martha had cupcake week on her show I never knew what blogging was about let alone that there were food blogs out there.  How I came upon it all was through Martha's site.  I saw the clip on Bakerella and  her cupcake pops, googled Bakerella, found a link to her and the rest is history!  Okay this is the part that ties in with the self frosting nutella cupcakes.  After being amazed by Bakerella and her blog I started finding other food blogs. On many of those blogs were posts featuring Donna Hay's self frosting nutella cupcakes.  I have to admit it was the "self frosting" part that intrigued me. 

                         DSC00148

These were so easy I messed them up!  The good news was that even though I messed them up the kids and their friend still ate them!  The recipe I used was from Baking Bites.  I should make it clear that it was not the recipe but me that messed up.  The recipe called for the cupcakes to bake at 325 degrees for 2o minutes.  Well my oven temp is (lower) off somewhere between 10 to 15 degrees which means I have to set my oven temp higher.  I set it at 345. DUH, it should have been 335 at the most 340!  So, of course,  I over cooked them.  They were dry and quite dense.  Now the self frosting part of the cupcake was OUT OF THIS WORLD!   I can only imagine how good these are when they are not overcooked.  I'm also wondering in what else can I put nutella.

                        DSC00151

LiveJournal Tags:

8 comments:

Leslie said...

I made these as well as few months ago. Mine were extremely dry! I threw them all out!.I liked the flavor..but they are TOOOOOOO dry to eat! Oh well!
Thanks for your visit to my site. Fat jeans suck!!!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Leslie~
Amen! Down with the fat jeans!

Okay, maybe it wasn't all me with the cupcakes. Still think I'll give them one more try.

Thanks for coming by!
~Ingrid

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Even if you say they are overcooked they still look great! You are wondering were else to use nutella? have you tried a spoon? :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Clumsby cookie ~
Ha-ha! I don't really like it straight out of the jar nor do my children. It taste better warm and cooked in something else.
~Ingrid

Anonymous said...

what a cute idea!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

The crepes of wrath~
I wish I could claim this as my own idea but I believe it was Donna Hay's. I've yet to see one of her cookbooks but I hear that they are wonderful. Thanks for stopping by and I can't wait to try your S'mores Bars! :)
~Ingrid

Cakebrain said...

Any excuse to use Nutella...my favourite nut-butter in a jar! Too bad about it being over-cooked, but they do look good nonetheless!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

cakebrain~
Ha, I've actually been trolling the internet for nutella filled recipes. I didn't know I liked the stuff until I made these! Like I mentioned the tops were great but the base not so good!

Thanks! I did do a better job on the swirling than I normally do.
~ingrid