This baby got gobbled up the very night I made it. It didn’t even get a chance to come to room temperature before the kiddos and several of their friends came running to the kitchen to see if it was done. I did manage to save a piece to photograph the next day so you could see its lovely inside. I barely managed. I had to boxed it up, tape a note to the top, and hide it. :)
I have Monica to thank for emailing me the recipe along with a request that I make it and send her some. At my house in order to get a piece of anything you have to be there when it’s being served or run the risk of losing out. Sorry, Monica. The piece I saved was eaten with breakfast by Devon who called “dibs” on it the night before.
Cinnamon Chip Banana Coffee Cake, adapted from Lovin’ From the Oven
- 1 cup cinnamon (or butterscotch or chocolate) chips
- 2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, I left out as I used cinnamon chips
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- about 4 mashed bananas, I used 3 but would have used a 4th if I had it.
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Stir chocolate chips, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon in small bowl until well blended; set streusel aside.
- Mix the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar, room temperature butter, and egg in a separate bowl until fluffy. Beat in mashed bananas and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients and blend well.
- Spread half of batter in prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with half of streusel. Repeat with remaining batter and streusel.
- Bake coffee cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool coffee cake in pan on rack.
Devon topped his warm cake with vanilla ice cream. I like how he thinks. :)
Thanks for all your kind words on my new “look” and a special thank you to Monica who made my new header!