Sunday, January 16, 2011

Banana Roll w/Cinnamon Cream Cheese

It’s even better than it sounds and it sounds pretty darn good, doesn’t it?!  :) 

banana-roll2

I stumbled across this recipe while looking for another recipe.  (Wanna hear something  funny? I don’t remember what recipe I was originally looking for.   Must not have been a good one. )  The blog I found this on is called Pinch My Salt and the title for the blog post was, “Tired of Banana Bread?  Try this recipe!”  And so I ask you the same thing?  Tired of banana bread?  Make banana roll with cinnamon cream cheese frosting! :)

banana-roll1

I followed the recipe exactly.  My only change was to spice up the filling by adding some cinnamon.  I did have a problem flipping the cake out onto my powdered sugar towel and later trying to roll it up.  It was very tender.  I probably should have cooked it for a minute more. 

Banana Roll, from Pinch My Salt

Cake:
Powdered sugar
3/4 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
3 eggs
1 C sugar
2/3 C. mashed banana (2 medium bananas)

Filling:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 C. powdered sugar, sifted
6 T. butter, softened
1 t. vanilla extract

1/4 C. powdered sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 15×10 inch jelly-roll pan (also known as half sheet pan); line with parchment or waxed paper. Grease and flour paper; set aside. Spread out a clean, thin dish towel on the counter (make sure the towel is larger than your jelly roll pan); sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar (this can be done using a mesh strainer).

2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda.

3. In a large bowl combine eggs and sugar; beat until thickened. Add banana; beat until well mixed.

4. Stir in flour mixture into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, easing it carefully to the corners with a spatula.

5. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 13 to 15 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched.

6. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert cake onto the prepared towel. Remove pan; carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake in towel while hot, starting with 10-inch side. Cool completely on wire rack (will take at least an hour).

7. When the cake is almost completely cooled, make the filling: beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. (Add some cinnamon to taste to kick it up!)

8. When cake has cooled completely, unroll and spread with filling (or your favorite cream cheese frosting) then re-roll cake. Wrap rolled cake in plastic wrap then refrigerate at least one hour (overnight is best).

9. When ready to serve, unwrap cake and place on a platter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired (sift the sugar through a small mesh strainer for a nice presentation). Cut into slices.

banana-roll-4

banana-roll4

60 comments:

mr. pineapple man said...

looks soooooooo delicious!! mmmm~~

Delicious Dishings said...

This sounds so much better than banana bread! Or at least if I added cinnamon cream cheese frosting to banana bread, that would make it twice as good.

Monica H said...

Ooh nice! As you know I don't love banana bread, but this looks delicious. I think it's the cream cheese frosting in the middle!

ann said...

I love banana bread so this is right up my alley. Your pictures are fantastic!

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Looks really yummy and I love cinnamon cream cheese! I like your square plates too :)

Keeley said...

I love banana bread! I'm a bit nervous about attempting a roll, but I'll bookmark this one for a day when I'm feeling brave.

Amanda said...

Wow Ingrid, that looks so good! I love bananas, I'll be bookmarking this one!

becky said...

amazing!! :)

Lisa said...

You did a great job with your cake roll. Banana and cream cheese are a match made in heaven.

pam said...

Please come to Tennessee and make this for me.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. That looks like heaven on a plate.

Rachel & Darrin said...

looks delicious! definitely one i'll have to try!

Unknown said...

I remember seeing these over at Nicole's blog! And I'd bookmarked it too! It looks delicious, and anything with cream cheese is a sure winner :)

cocoa and coconut said...

Yes! I'm sick of conventional banana bread. I am definitely going to give it a try. I considered doing this the other day in fact, but I hadn't seen a proper recipe or instructions for it, and I didn't know if it would work with other cake batters.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What exquisite flavors! A wonderful roll.

Cheers,

Rosa

cookies and cups said...

I have always wanted to make a roll cake, but I am so scared of "crackage" that I haven't tried it yet ;)
I can do it..I can do it...I can do it... :)

Debbie said...

I made my first pumpkin roll this fall and now would love to try this. I love anything banana!

Lucie said...

The filling to cake ratio looks just perfect--sounds super delicious!

Val said...

Now that looks like heaven on a plate!!!

Faith said...

Oh my...that looks heavenly, Ingrid! Lucky for me I have bananas on my counter and cream cheese in the fridge...I think I see this in my near future! :)

jennifer said...

it looks and sounds DELICIOUS!!!! =D

Barbara said...

Well Ingrid, once again I should have shut my eyes and passed on by but I can't resist your recipes! Here's another I've already copied.

I used to read that blog...have added it to my list again. Thanks for the tip.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to make a roll cake!

Delishhh said...

YUM YUM! I am Swedish and make "rull tarta" all the time or the american version of swiss roll. But i have never seen this twist to it. What a great idea. Now my head is spinning of all the roll cake ideas. Nice work!

teresa said...

YUMMY! i've only ever seen pumpkin rolls, this looks so good and a great way to use some of the 50 frozen bananas in our freezer!

Sherry G said...

I love your pictures and that table cloth you took them on. It makes the photos so inviting! And I need to use up all the frozen bananas I have somehow!

Joyti said...

I'm sure the tenderness was delicious though. The banana roll looks incredible, I swear my mouth is actually watering!

Karen @ Mignardise said...

What beautiful photos!
And I love this idea - I'm getting a little tired of banana bread myself.

Unknown said...

If anyone was going to make this...it would be you. This looks divine! You did a great job. I keep thinking of the traditional pumpkin roll but this sounds so much...more. Will have to try it soon!

Julie M. said...

Oh, now that DOES sound good! Cream cheese frosting makes just about anything much much better. Beautiful snaps as well!

Robin said...

First cinnamon roll cake and now this. You really know how to help us all break our New Year's resolutions!! Eh I never make any anyway, I eat!! This looks heavenly so I will have to try this since my Deven is a banana bread junky.

Unknown said...

OH MY! I've died and gone to banana bread heaven-- 2 of my favorite things together!

naomi said...

UM-LOVE! Banana is one of my favorite flavors, so I'm bookmarking this. I like the addition of the cinnamon to the filling. The only thing wrong with is. . . I would probably eat half of all by myself.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll bring the coffee if you share this with me! :-)

Janell said...

OH. MY. GOSH. that looks sooo good!

Reeni said...

What a delectable banana roll Ingrid! I have always been afraid to make a 'roll' like this - it looks very tricky. Yours turned out beautiful.

Unknown said...

This banana roll looks wonderful! Love your photos.

grace said...

the cake roll is my frenemy--i love to eat it but hate to make it. :)

Lorie said...

This is just lovely!

Honeyed Hashette said...

Umm...YUM! This looks delicious and the pictures! WOW!

Anonymous said...

yummm, bananas, cream cheese and cinnamon! :) This looks delicioius!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this looks really yummy!! banana cake with cream cheese is always a winner:) thank you for sharing this and for visiting my blog. have a great day.

Sharon said...

Do you have a printable version of this recipe on your blog?

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Yummy, this looks like it can be classified in "Cake for breakfast" too ;) Making this next time I have brown bananas!

Alicia said...

Oh my goodness that looks soooo delicious!! Love banana and the cream cheese. Perfect!

Lorraine said...

Wow I just found this in a link from Texus Chicks - it looks awesome. I have just printed it out and hope I can interpret everything into Aussie weights, measures etc.
The one I think I'll have the most difficulty with is the 6 T of butter. I know a little t is a teaspoon (which down here is 5ml), but I have now idea what a bit T is. Can anyone help.
I think I might have to add you to my favourites - not that I need the calories!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!!

Elle Bee said...

This looks delicious! It's been a while since I visited, so I was tickled to see that the first pastry in your blog header is in the shape of a B. :o)
Also, I don't know if it was always like this, but I chuckled when I saw your follow me section says "follow me, I know the way". HA! Clever lady.

Leslie said...

Amazing! I new twist on banana bread!

Angie said...

Oh. My. Goodness. This is exactly the distraction I was looking for. I will be making this instead of cleaning house this afternoon. Thank you!

Barbara Bakes said...

This is a fabulous change from banana bread. Love the addition of cinnamon to the filling.

Deborah said...

Oh my goodness - I have got to try this! What a great way to use up bananas!!

Cristine said...

YUM! What a great use for old bananas!

Crepes of Wrath said...

This looks fabulous, and the photos are absolutely breathtaking. I've never made a cake roll, but I'm always looking for new ways to use leftover bananas, so I may have to give this a try.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Looks like a great breakfast... dessert... breakfast... snack... YUM! I just can't decide when the best time to eat it would be!

Eliana said...

Hmmmm - this looks insanely delicious girl!

The Daily Smash said...

Sounds and looks so yummy cant wait to try it :)

Check out my food blog at

www.thedailysmash101@blogspot.com

Ashley

Lori said...

Oh my Ingrid! This looks so good. It seems I missed a bunch of your posts. I have a new sewing machine and all I want to do is sew.

Katy ~ said...

Ingrid, you are my goddess. I have yet to make a cake roll. I'm too scarrit to try it and here you have it all delicious and beautiful and totally irresistible. LOVE bananas!!

naomi said...

I'm wondering if I could do this as a cake and frost the top instead of the roll? I dont have the right size pan and the roll sounds complicated. I'm thinking of maybe sheet cake form and frost the top?