Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sometimes I Feel Like a Nut

Well, hello!  It’s been awhile.  I’ve missed you guys!  December turned out to be a lot crazier than I thought and unfortunately blogging to took a backseat to everything else. 

candied-almonds

For most folks December is when they break out their cookie sheets, dust off their mixer, and stock up butter and sugar and it should have been no different for me.  As a food blogger and one who blogs about desserts I should have been baking up a storm.  Unfortunately it  didn’t happen.  I did though make these scrumptious addicting candied almonds.  Twice.  Both times I made them with the intention of sharing them with my neighbors but like my Christmas baking it didn’t happen.  I have Jonna to thank for sharing the recipe.  Jonna has a delicious blog and I have yet to be disappointed with any of her recipes.  As a matter of fact the only other recipe I made last month that was baked for Christmas Day was hers.  I’ll be sharing it with you at some point, too.

candied-almonds-CU

BURNT SUGAR ALMONDS

~ Gebrannte Mandeln~

Ingredients

  • ⅓ cup Water, Plus 2 Tablespoons
  • 1 cup & ⅓ cup Sugar, Divided
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon, Ground
  • 2 cups Raw Almonds (I also used pecans.)
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (I used vanilla bean paste)

Directions:

Notes before beginning: Make sure that you DO NOT let the first sugar mixture evaporate until it’s dry.  You don’t want it soupy, but rather a very thick syrup that is adhering to the nuts.  This is when you will add your second addition of sugar (1/3 cup).  If your mixture does become too dry, and all the sugar has dried up – don’t throw everything away.  It’s o.k.!  Just add a couple tablespoons of warm water, and stir until you have a bit of shine, but also some lumps beginning to form.

Use a heavy saucepan (NOT the nonstick kind) and a wooden spoon.

First add the water, 1 cup of sugar and the cinnamon and stir. Bring it to a boil over medium heat. Add the almonds to the mix, raise the temperature to high heat and stir CONSTANTLY until the water is boiled away.

The sugar will dry out a little but start to stick to the almonds. Keep stirring them around, so that the almonds don’t burn on the bottom of the pan.

Turn the heat under the pan to medium-low, to keep the sugar from browning too fast. Keep stirring until the almonds start having an even shiny coat.

Now dump in the rest of your sugar. Keep stirring, and add your vanilla. At this point, I like to mention that if you have vanilla sugar or a powdered type of vanilla flavoring, do feel free to use that over the liquid kind. It tends to work better. If you do, mix it with the 1/3 of a cup of sugar you are using for the second lot of sugar.

At this point, there might be quite some noise ensuing from your pan. Some crackling and popping, but hopefully no snapping. It depends on how fresh your almonds were. Really fresh almonds will make a popping noise and the coat may start to crack. That’s the water in the almonds escaping. If the almonds are older, there won’t be as much of that!

Keep stirring until the almonds are fairly shiny, but still a bit lumpy. You don’t want them completely smooth. The best ones are the ones that are shiny in some areas with some delicious lumps of cinnamon sugar on other parts of the almond.

As soon as you see that happening, take them off the heat and transfer the almonds to a sheet of parchment paper. Spread them apart as much as you can, but don’t worry about some of them sticking together initially.  However, BE CAREFUL. These are extremely hot, so only use a spoon. These babies can really burn you!

While they are cooling down, keep on breaking them apart with your spoon(s) until they are all separated. Fair warning: these are totally divine when they are still ever-so-slightly warm. You’ve been warned!

Once they are cooled, hide them in a dry, closed container. Theoretically, they keep for several weeks.

Don’t be put off by the length of the directions!  They are just very detailed.

true-nuts

While we’re on the top of nuts, last month I won a contest Avril was having on her blog.  She was giving away several boxes of The True Nuts.  (Read about the company here.  Even if you don’t love almonds you have to love their social consciousness.) received five different flavors of roasted maple almonds.  Some of the flavors were expected and a few were a surprise.  My favorite was the the coconut.  As a matter of fact I’m last few that are left while I type this.  :) Thanks Avril!

33 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So addictive and delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...

I love nuts :-)) Had some cinnamon almonds earlier...and I know how addictive and delicious they are!

Abby said...

Happy New Year, friend! (Glad to see I'm not the only one who took a break. Who am I kidding? I'm still breaking...)

My dad would adore this treat! I'll have to make him some soon.

Avril said...

YOU are such an adorable NUT Ingrid! LOVE the recipe for those almonds and LOVE that you enjoyed the nuts that you won from my blog.

I've missed you and your wonderful blog posts....happy to have you back now that the holidays have ended (such a crazy busy time those holidays are!). :-)

Leslie said...

Glad to have you back! I baked enough for the two of us! yummy looking nut you have there! :)

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Missed ya Ingrid ~ glad you're back! I {heart} almonds...I even have a stash in my car in case I have a snack emergency :)
I'll have to try your sweet version, they look tasty!

pam said...

These almonds sound amazing!

cocoa and coconut said...

My family just finished off some shop-bought honey coated cashews, so these almonds would be a great surprise to refill our nut jar.

Thanks!

Debbie said...

I've missed you Ingrid and I'm glad you're back. The nuts look delicious!

cookies and cups said...

My husband would love these!! Hope your New Year is off to a great start :)

Julie said...

Yeah, those wouldn't last 2 days around here!

Monica H said...

I was coming over here to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day! ha! kidding.

Glad you're back. Those almonds look nice and crunchy. They look good enough to make twice.

Karen @ Mignardise said...

I could eat a boatload full of these.

teresa said...

oh my goodness, i LOVE these. candied nuts are one of my favorite treats!

Get Off Your Butt and BAKE! said...

Ingrid oh Ingrid....I'm just sure that we should be neighbors!!
Thank You so much for all your sweetness. Like you, my crazy time wasting blog took a backseat over the holidays as well. It seems that when we do the most baking/cooking we have NO Time to take pictures or talk about it.
I can't make those nuts anymore . . . I eat far too many!
After Christmas and New Years, I have to run double the miles.

I've enjoyed your blog so much, and Thank You for sharing.

Love, Jonna
Get Off Your Butt and BAKE!

Unknown said...

I was just thinking, "I haven't heard from Ingrid in awhile. I better go over to her blog and see if she's been up to anything." Christmas is such a crazy time, isn't it? And probably blogging should take a back seat. But I think this one recipe = the goodness of at least 5 cookie recipes you could have shared over the holidays. :)

Lori said...

I love nuts. These kind of nuts are truly addicting.

Welcome back. It was so busy, eh?

Reeni said...

These look irresistibly delicious Ingrid! And so do the nuts you won - some interesting flavors. My nephew just turned 15 and just started learning to cook - I sent him home with a stack of cookbooks!

Diana's Cocina said...

Missed you ~ Glad your back! The nuts look delicious!

Kerstin said...

Great pics, I feel like I could reach out and grab some :) Glad you're back!

Donna-FFW said...

They do indeed look scrumptious and so addictive. You have convinced me to try them.. Buying me some almonds TODAY lady!

Faith said...

I can never resist sweet roasted nuts and these look fantastic, Ingrid! I bet the homemade version is incredible!

Keeley said...

I have two pounds of almonds in my freezer (thanks to Costco) and I will absolutely try this recipe!

Welcome back! I know this isn't a photography blog, but can you share what lenses and setup you are using. Your photos are looking really good! (Or you can just send me an email :)

kimberleyblue said...

Welcome back! Hope you had awesome holidays.

Gorgeous almonds! I love candied nuts that have a think, crunchy layer of sweetness all over them, and these look perfect! I know I wouldn't be able to stop eating them. Great photos too!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Yum! I love these at parties, now I can make them myself!

Sprinkles of Parsley said...

I've always wanted to try these... I think it's time! These look too good to pass up!

Barbara said...

What a fabulous photo! I love nuts like this and so much prefer almonds to pecans. I realize it would work with any nut, but I'm sticking with my favorites.
Great recipe, Ingrid.

BTW: I finally emailed you the lemon angel pie recipe that you have probably forgotten you asked for!

grace said...

i'm not a person who eats almonds as a snack...unless they're coated with sugar. the maple coconut batch from your win sounds AWESOME.

Robin said...

Hi Ingrid!
Glad you are back! I love nuts like this but if they are around I will eat them all! I really like them on salads too. Jonna does have some great recipes! Have a great week, oh and your photos are great!
Robin

Elle said...

Those look incredibly addictive in a really fabulous way!

Lisa said...

These look absolutely divine.

Unknown said...

These do look incredibly addicting! Yum!

naomi said...

I have feeling I may have a new addiction. I can't wait to make this, especially since I still have a bag of unused almonds from my holiday baking!