Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cinnamon Roll Cake

DSC01591This isn't what I originally was going to post but it was so good and so easy I bumped it to the top of the list! I've made this twice in four days and had ever intention of making it again tonight but came up three eggs short.

I found this cinnamon roll cake on Abby Sweets early Thursday afternoon. Abby starts off her post claiming that this would be "the easiest, quickest, and yummiest desserts" I would ever make. Well, she isn't far off the mark. I'd have to say that its tied with monkey bread and the mb muffins for quick and easy. It is though (IMHO) one of the yummiest. Besides being easy, quick, and yummy this cake is also moist, light, and wonderfully cinnamony. I didn't make any changes to the recipe though I've been thinking chopped nuts might be a tasty addition. Mmmmm.

DSC01582

The first time I made the cake was Thursday night for Babygirl's teacher and classmates.It was teacher appreciation week and what better way to show our appreciation than with cake. Babygirl came home from school with the message that everyone loved the cake and wanted seconds. Lucky for us she came home with a bit of the cake leftover otherwise I/we might not have realized how amazing this cake was. I only got to sample the crumbs but my parents who were in town got to try a piece and loved it. So much so I decided to bake another one instead of the Oreo cake or the raspberry swirl tea cake I had intended to make for our Mother's Day luncheon. DSC01589

Cinnamon Roll Cake
Yellow Cake Mix
4 eggs
¾ cup oil
1 cup sour cream
Mix by hand and pour in 13 x 9 greased baking pan.
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
Mix and pour over cake batter. Swirl into batter with knife. (this was not easy to do as the batter is thick)
Bake @ 325 for 40 minutes. (Mine was done in 30 minutes.)Let cake cool 10 – 15 minutes before icing.
Icing:
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tbsp milk (I used heavy cream and had to add more to get the consistency I needed)
Pour over warm cake.

DSC01584

I also baked Monica's Mom's Tres Leches Cake for another teacher but she told Devon that she wouldn't be in on Friday so it never made it into class. I had mixed emotions about this cake. I liked it (loved the three milk mixture) but I didn't like the boxed cake mix (the recipe called for one) that I used to make it. Everyone who tried it said they liked it but I could really taste that it was made with a cake mix. I'm going to try it again but with a different brand of cake mix. I'd also like to try a homemade version of it.

I've been meaning to tell you guys that I made Artisan Bread in Five Minutes' Olive Oil Pizza dough. Babygirl and I made it two Thursday's ago for a pizza-fest that she and one of her friends were having at the house. To say that it was easy is a huge understatement. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the stickiness of the dough. Once again, being the dopiest bloggers out there, I neglected to take any photos of the girls and their pizzas.

Bad news one of the Twins, Devon, got hit in the mouth with a ground ball. He's going to live but will be in pain for several days and may (I hope not)lose one of his front teeth. I'm going to try to get him into the dentist tomorrow. I should know more afterwards. Wish us luck!

Technorati Tags: ,,
Post a Comment