Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pig & Whistle Cake

DSC01400 I loved the name of this cake though I'm not sure how it got its name. Definitely a stand out. 

I baked this one afternoon when I came home early from work after picking the Twins up from the bus stop.  On afternoons when it is raining either I or another thoughtful (Thanks Dawn & Kim!) mom picks up my guys along with theirs.

When I first saw this cake I knew it would just be a matter of time before I made it.  It was definitely a no brainer.  Unlike most chocolate doesn't do anything for us.  For my family and I, it's caramel and nuts that make everything better!  It didn't hurt that it would also be an easy one to put together.  (It was.) I'm not certain if we're alone in this.......we love nuts ON our desserts but no so much in the dessert.  Make sense?  Anybody else?

I found this gem on Sandie's  blog Inn Cuisine.  (I also have another tasty treat to tell you about that comes from her blog.)In her post Sandie says that her cake was dense and moist. My cake was moist but it was surprisingly light almost fluffy.  Maybe it was because it was still very warm from the oven?  As the day progressed the weight of the caramel and nuts weighted it down a bit but still, it wasn't overly dense.  Needless to say this cake didn't last until the next morning!

DSC01405

Pig & Whistle Cake (my changes)

Serves 6-8

for the cake

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup half & half (1/4 c. 2% milk & 1/4 c. heavy cream)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F for baking. Spray an 8×11x2″ or 9×9x2″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. (I used a 9x9 & lined it with nonstick Reynolds foil that I sprayed with Pam.)

In a small saucepan over low heat, combine butter and half & half; heat until butter is melted and mixture is warmed through. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat eggs until light yellow; add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. To eggs and sugar add warmed butter and half & half mixture; beat until thoroughly combined; add vanilla and mix again. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; blend ingredients. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients; blend well. Pour batter into a prepared 8×11x2″ or 9×9x2″ baking dish. Bake cake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake springs back when touched in the center. Remove cake from oven and prepare topping.

DSC01398for the topping

  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons half & half (heavy cream) 
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I added some pecans to get to the 1/2 cup)

Set oven to broil.

Mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined; pour (spread) onto hot cake and broil (in oven) until bubbly and browned (a few minutes will do). Watch cake closely; when mixture becomes bubbly throughout, remove cake from oven and allow to cool (set baking dish on wire rack). As cake cools, the topping will set. Slice and serve cake barely warm or at room temperature. (I went with nice and warm with the caramel still soft! Oh, yea!)

april11

Technorati Tags: ,,,

34 comments:

Monica H said...

I like your collage at the end. This looks good!

Steph said...

I love fluffy cakes!

Anonymous said...

I love the name too. It sounds delicious!

Kerstin said...

I'm drooling looking at this cake - it looks fantastic! I love caramel too and almost always choose it over chocolate.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, that cake looks so scrumptious! I love that wonderful topping!

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...

A moist, rich cake....the topping is the winner!

Emily said...

Wow! Does that look good and rich! I would love a slice, please.

Donna-FFW said...

Ingrid.. you are the lady I turn to when looking for a great cake or coffeecake. I have made quite a few based on your recommendation and they have all been fantastic. This one will be added to my list. I love Sandys site also.

oneordinaryday said...

What a funny name for a cake. I wonder where it comes from?
Your cake looks so moist - the melt-in-your-mouth kind of moist. I love that in a cake.

Risa said...

This cake looks incredible. I wonder where the name came from.

grace said...

so...not only is the name a hoot, but the cake itself is fluffy and moist and the topping is sinful and rich and everything i love in a dessert. yeah, you have a winner here!

Reeni said...

The name sounds so old-fashioned. I love it. The topping is so divine! Ooey and gooey on top of the light and fluffy cake. Mmmmmm!!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

That TOPPING looks delicious!!! I haven't had lunch yet...want to bring it over? ;)

lisa (dandysugar) said...

Ooh, this looks sooo goood! It almost reminds me of a coffee cake minus the crumbly topping but plus the yummy ooey gooeyness! I can almost taste it now!

teresa said...

Mmmmm, fantastic, I can practically taste it now! I love the pictures!

Bunny said...

Ingrid this is too much! It's absolutely wonderful. Look how fluffy it is!!! This is definetly a winner and must try cake! The browned butterchocolate banana cake was out of this world good Ingrid, I took it to work and everybody loved it. It's a different cake than the one with the browned butter frosting, but I read your family doesn't care for chocolate so maybe they won't like it. It's not all chocolate of course but does have semi sweet chips in it. You should try it just once and see what they think.

Deborah said...

Oh, my - I have got to try this!!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

What lovely goodies you've been making lately! All right up my alley! I also love the name of this cake, lol!

foodcreate said...

Delicious!
Thanks for sharing:)

And you can visit me if I can visit you:)

Welcome!
foodcreate.com

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Hahaha I love recipes with crazy names! This looks delicious!!

Anonymous said...

oh wow! talk about LUSCIOUS and RICH and DECADENT! this cake looks like the bomb, esp with the rich cream in it, and the amazing glaze!

Denise said...

Looks very yummy and sticky and good..

Elyse said...

Oh, Ingrid. This looks incredible! I love the caramel and nuts on top of the cake. I completely understand the distinction between "on top" and "in". Man oh man, I'm definitely going to have to check out Inn Cuisine. Great looking cake!

Debbie said...

Both the cake and the topping look wonderful. I don't know what I would go for first!!! Love the name of the cake too!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Ugh I hate IE!! Ever since I upgraded to the newest version, I've had so many problems with it! I get error messages on so many blogs. Firefox feels so awkward to use, but I think I might be switching soon.

Sara said...

Yum, this looks delicious! Although how can you not love a cake with that kind of name?

Leslie said...

That is a very strange name for such a yummy looking cake

Jo said...

Such an unusual name for a cake and for the life of me I've not heard of this before. But the pictures make it look really delicous and the topping looks yummy!

Stephanie said...

Ooh this one looks like it would be a winner in our house as well - my BF doesn't really like chocolate but LOVES vanilla and caramel. THat topping looks incredible!

Cristine said...

Looks absolutely delicious!

Amanda said...

That looks so good!

Hilary said...

I just love the look of this. It's like a sticky bun in cake form!

Creative Classroom Core said...

I love the name of this cake! It looks delicious!
I want a bite!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

COOL ^^春夏秋冬,民宿,
樂活花欣,秦老爹民宿,福紀行,極品美宿,極品,風格民宿,風格民宿,休閒套房,人文旅舍,包棟民宿,花園民宿,尚芳民宿,松格民宿,水晶閣民宿,吉吉小鎮,綠野森林,盛夏的軌跡,花蓮民宿,大興民宿,仙洞人民宿,忘憂園,奇巧民宿,益順休閒農莊,阿寶民宿,溫泉山莊,金萱花民宿,加賀屋,信義民宿,清悠嶺,綠海天際,衣牛農舍,加家民宿,鏷石民宿,花園別墅,花園民宿,漱石山居,樟之園,客之屋民宿,小棧民宿,東岡秀川,知音民宿,柚子林民宿,弘果民宿,夢之鄉民宿,信號,溫泉山莊,清風茶園,出租,景觀民宿,椰子林溫泉,微風星情,鯉魚潭,整棟出租,傅家農園,金典民宿,元氣屋,綠舍,渡假花園,東華,嘉年華,村野之家,11號海洋,山海戀,海景民宿,豐廬居,魚爸的家,海景民宿,經典海岸