Sunday, May 31, 2009

Babygirl's Cake

DSC01649 Babygirl made this yellow cake with chocolate frosting for her sitter, Miss Karolyn's birthday. She found the recipe in her William Sonoma Sweet Treats cookbook.  It's a nice starter cookbook for children.  This is actually the third  recipe she's made from it.  (The other two recipes were much better and the black bottom cupcakes were flat out gooood!) I'd say she made 90% of this cake by herself.  She calls herself a "pro-in-training"!  I call her bossy! 

The recipe calls for the layers to bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.  This HAS to be a mistake as ours were over cooked at about 40 minutes which was when I started checking it.  I personally wouldn't make this but I would let Babygirl give it another try with me checking it after 30 minutes.

DSC01656

Besides baking the cake she also decorated it herself AND took the photos. I think her beginning photos just might be better than mine.

Baseball update:  We played our last "official" tournament of the season. Unfortunately it didn't end as we would have liked but the team did go down battling. 

Next up for my two is a trip to Cooperstown, NY for 5 baseball filled days.  They are going with their coach.  I'm staying behind. I will though be able to watch two of their pool play games on the internet  and all of Thursday's games if their team advances passed Wednesday. 

I'm sorry I haven't been around this weekend to read what delish yummies you've been whipping up and comment.  I wish I could say this coming week will be a slower one but I've got a TON of baking to do for the kids' end of the year parties.  With the twins in middle school they have 7 classes which means more than one teacher.  Luckily I'm not baking for all fourteen of them just three.  I'm hoping they don't come home from school and at the last minute add a teacher or two!  :)  

Technorati Tags: ,

43 comments:

alice said...

Babygirl did an incredible job! Even if it was in the oven too long, you can't tell by looking at it... it's beautiful. And her photography is definitely better than mine. Keep up the good work!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delicious looking cake, mmmhhh! Very well done, Babygirl!

Cheers,

Rosa

Risa said...

How wonderful that babygirl practically made the cake herself. Very impressive!

Coleens Recipes said...

Way to go babygirl!! And way to go for you letting loose in your kitchen (so many parents don't). It's excellent experience for her and she did a GREAT job.Great photo too!! She's going to need her own kid food blog...I know I'd check in on her.

Donna-FFW said...

Babygirl did awesome work, what a pro to be for sure. And her photo is wonderful.

Steph said...

Wow, she did a great job! You are so lucky, I would love any excuse to bake. Never trust those crazy baking times!!

Monica H said...

She did a great job! She is a pro in training. ha ha ha!

Reeni said...

Babygirl takes after her mama! The cake looks so yummy, love the way she decorated it!

Heather said...

so, so beautiful!! i want a slice!

Jodi said...

She did a beautiful job on the cake. I bet you two have fun baking together! :)

I can't believe you'd stay home from Cooperstown! :) At least you'll be able to see some of the games on the internet. I'm sure the boys will have fun there. Good luck to them!

Elyse said...

Aww, looks like your babygirl did an awesome job! What an impressive feat--a layer cake. Good for her! And such a generous spirit, too!

Cristine said...

Wow! She did a great job!

Angie's Recipes said...

Very impressive.... a professional cake out of a babygal

Shelby said...

I'm so proud of baby girl!!

I remember what it was like being busy with the kids!

grace said...

talk about potential! :)

oneordinaryday said...

Looks like you've got a foodie on your hands. Maybe a blogger too. I love that she took her own pictures! Very cool.

Your kids' teachers must just LOVE you. I can't believe you bake for them all like that. Where do you find the time? I do a fair share of sending in treats, but holy cow. Surely not to the degree you are! You're amazing!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

She did such a great job! I see a baking blog in her future! :)

♥Rosie♥ said...

WOW babygirl did an amzing job on this cake - well done!

teresa said...

Oooh, yum! Your daughter did a great job! Good luck with your upcoming events!

The Blonde Duck said...

The book has been shipped!!!

Pam said...

I think the cake looks moist and delicious - great job decorating.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great cake. YUM!

Denise said...

She did a great job. My girls love to help. My daughter started teeball this year and now my life is consumed with it, up next, soccer

Debbie said...

Babygirl did a great job on that cake! I just made a yellow cake tonight and it was done in 30 minutes....I'm looking for a new chocolate frosting recipe in fact for this cake. Babygirl's frosting looks soooo creamy and rich!!!! Wonderful!

Jaime said...

awww what a fabulous looking cake

Kerstin said...

She did a fabulous job - the cake looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I was a foodie baby girl too, but unfortunately my mom didn't cook or bake outside of frozen and canned foods, so I rambled along and learned mostly by myself. Baby girl's cake came out fabulous!

On another note, your boys must b so excited to be playing at Cooperstown!! Keep me updated!

Emily said...

Gorgeous cake! She did an excellent job!

Hayley said...

Nice job she did on the cake, it looks so professional!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I bet it's so awesome to have a child that loves doing the same thing you love to do! It must be so fun to bake together! :D

Creative Classroom Core said...

You have some of the tastier looking cakes on your site!

I now know whose site I am checking out next time I need to make dessert! :)

Abby said...

She did a great job! I'll have to check out that cookbook. Yummmmm ... chocolate.

You're a good mama. Four kids! How do you do it? I can't decide if I want more than ONE!

ErinsFoodFiles said...

WOW! Great job to the Baby Girl!

lisa (dandysugar) said...

What an awesome cake, babygirl!! Your're a fun mommy. =)

Maris said...

Look at all of these cakes! I must not stop by your blog enough :)

Aimée said...

Your cakes are getting a reputation!! Seriously, you are the cake queen. This looks TOO good.

Julie said...

Ooh..her cake looks awesome! I've gotta try to find that cookbook.

Lori said...

Good job Babygirl! You take after your Mama. Great goodies, all the time.

Deborah said...

Wow - she is going to be quite the baker!! I can't wait for my little one to be old enough to play in the kitchen with me.

Teanna said...

You are the cake queen!!!! That is gorgeous!

Mermaid Sews said...

Wow, that's so impressive, the cake looks terrific.

Unknown said...

This cake looks delicious!! It must be awesome to have another baker around you!! She has some amazing talent!

UPrinting said...

Oh man. That cake looks heavenly... She did an amazing job with this one.
I wish you all the best on the upcoming games. :)