Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Em's Hybrid Lemon Bars

DSC01532 For those who may not know...Em is the lady behind the wonderful blog The Repressed Pastry ChefEm is a huge fan of lemons but others (Jamie) call her obsessed. :) A few weeks ago Em posted this recipe and this recipe. Each one was very good in it's own separate way.  Em claimed that the first recipe's shortbread crust was one of the yummiest and the second recipe's filling was near perfect though not (in her opinion) tart enough.  Leaving a her a comment asking for her opinion on which was the best one to make she suggested the brilliant idea of combining the best of each recipe.  Along with her suggestion she also mentioned cutting back on the sugar in the filling.  Because I, too like my lemon bars tart and tangy I went ahead and cut back on the sugar. I'm very happy to say these bars were terrific!  They'll definitely make you pucker up but in a good way. Not overly so but I did think that the sprinkling of powdered sugar on top complimented it nicely.  Usually I prefer mine with it out.  If you like a milder lemon taste  just follow the recipe and use the full amount of sugar.

DSC01529

Around the same time I was whipping up these bars so was Jamie.  Please hop over and check out hers.  I love how she always adds sprigs of mint leaves to her dessert giving 'em that little something extra.  Be sure to check out the original recipes at Em's.

Em's Hybrid Lemon Bars

Makes about two dozen 1-1/2 to 2-inch squares

Ingredients

--The Crust--
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar -- plus extra to
decorate finished bars
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1 1/2 sticks) at
very cool room temperature, cut into
1-inch pieces, plus extra for greasing pan

--Crust Directions--

1. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and line with one sheet parchment or wax paper. Dot paper with butter, then lay second sheet crosswise over it. (I used Reynolds nonstick aluminum foil and lightly sprayed it with Pam.)
2. Pulse flour, confectioners’ sugar, cornstarch, and salt in food processor work bowl fitted with steel blade. Add butter and process to blend, 8 to 10 seconds, then pulse until mixture is pale yellow and resembles coarse meal, about three 1-second bursts. (To do this by hand, mix flour, confectioners’ sugar, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl. Freeze butter and grate it on large holes of box grater into flour mixture. Toss butter pieces to coat. Rub pieces between your fingers for a minute, until flour turns pale yellow and coarse.) Sprinkle mixture into lined pan and press firmly with fingers into even, 1/4-inch layer over entire pan bottom and about 1/2 inch up sides. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. (I baked mine for less as I noticed it was already golden brown and smelling heavenly after the 15 min mark, so I took it out.)

Ingredients

--Filling--

  • 6 extra-large eggs at room temperature (I used 6 large eggs) 
  • 3 cups granulated sugar (I only used 2 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons) (I used 3 regular lemons & 3 Meyer)
  • 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used 3 regular lemons & 3 Meyer)
  • 1 cup flour
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

--Filling Directions--

For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.  Sprinkle generously with confectioners' sugar and cut.

Note:  I don't know if the filling is normally very "watery" when the recipe is followed (exactly) but mine was.  When I noticed how much I was really worried but it worked out fine. 

Technorati Tags: ,

37 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love lemon bars and anything citrusy! What a luscious treat!

Cheers,

Rosa

Donna-FFW said...

Lemon bars are one of my favorite go to desserts and this one looks terrific!!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Oh my boyfriend would LOVE these!! :D

I didn't link to recipes on my list because most of them aren't specific. The specific recipes I want to bake say "Coconut Cake (Alton Brown's)" or something like that. But all the others, I don't care which recipe I use. I just wanna bake the actual item! :D

Bunny said...

That picture says it all it's gorgeous!! I love lemon too, this sounds fantastic!

teresa said...

How gorgeous, I lOVE lemon bars! I really like the plate too!

Unknown said...

Oh yay! How wonderfully these turned out for you!!! That first photo positively makes my mouth water =)

Thanks for the linkback... you're a real gem!!

~Em
The Repressed Pastry Chef

oneordinaryday said...

This looks delicious. Now why couldn't you have come up with this when I was pulling my hair out looking for the perfect lemon recipe?
LOL
Michelle

Mermaid Sews said...

I have to try these. My dad's fav. dessert is lemon bars, but he is picky. Will have to let you all know what he thinks of them when i go visit them. Will def. be making these.

Cristine said...

Those look beyond good! YUM!

Anonymous said...

OH yum, Lemon bars. They look wonderful!

Katiecakes said...

Yummy!! I love anything lemon, I'll deffo be giving these a try :)

Katie xox

alice said...

What a great idea! I think I'll try your hybrid version, but with the full amount of sugar. I like mine a little sweeter. Your lemon bars look beautiful!

Jamie said...

Ingrid-
Your bars look great! Thanks for linking me! I have that exact plate...too cute!!
-Jamie

Stephanie said...

YUMS, i keep seeing lemon bars, and I really have got to try to make these for myself. So what is the deal with meyer lemons? Sounds amazing - but are they hard to find? Or do most supermarkets carry them? I've never seen them at any by me, but then again we have NOTHING here.

Lisa said...

Ingrid,

Those bars look super delicious, but you always turn out amazing treats :)

As for my recovery, major set back, as something awful happened in my life..so the motivation and energy is currently on pause :(

Now, the Yankees..UGH. What a mess of a team..depressing. Our BP is probably the worst we've had in years..the walk brigade!

Heather said...

mmm. those sound delicious. i just love lemon bars. i like them with less sugar, too - that super tart lip pucker is the best :)

Reeni said...

These are so pretty and fresh looking. The perfect Spring treat!

cindy* said...

i love lemon bars. yum! and the pictures are so pretty with the black and white and yellow...lovely!

Monica H said...

Ingrid! These look fabulous- i can almost taste that lemony goodness...yum!

Laura said...

I've been craving lemon bars. I thought I had a recipe picked, now I am not sure...

Kerstin said...

What lovely lemon bars - so perfect for Mother's Day weekend too!

Maris said...

These sound so delish! I'm trying to cut down on desserts but lemon is a fruit, right? :)

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

Wow! These look really amazing. I made lemon bars for the first time recently and was pretty happy with the way they came out, but yours look so much better.

Great photos!

Shelby said...

I should make these! My son Chris LOVES the Lemon Curd I make - he would be in heaven with this recipe!

grace said...

that's a gorgeous bar. the lemony color is so vibrant, and i love the dusting of sugar on top. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm not into lemon, but they're pretty!

Emily said...

Yummmmy. I was just thinking how good lemon bars sounded! I crave them. These look good.

Debbie said...

I love lemon bars but have yet to make them. Yours loook so good. Lately I just love lemon desserts with coffee....(your pics are very nice too!)

A_and_N said...

They look terrific! What temperature do you bake the filling at? 350F ?

Carole said...

I gained weight just looking at this. YUMMMM. Thank you so much for your well wishes about my Anniversary. You are very sweet!!!

carole
xoxo

Abby said...

I LOVE lemon bars. They were one of my fave childhood treats!

And do I spy some picniking goin' on?! Nice job!

Everyday Is Delicious said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, too, Ingrid!! Have a wonderful day!!!

Eliana said...

Lemon bars are so yummy. And these seem like just the things for summer :)

Jaime said...

i love lemon bars - they look so tart it makes my lips want to pucker! :)

Hilary said...

That looks like one heck of a lemon bar. It looks so big and FAT! Yum.

Pumpkin said...

I'm with you- I like my lemon bars super tart! I'm a big fan of the sour/sweet combo.

Lori said...

These llok so good. I just made lemon bars and froze them for our party. I wasnt thrilled about how they came out. These however look amazing. Should have stopped here first!