Friday, May 22, 2009

Almond Toffee Tart

DSC01432 While this tart is called an almond toffee tart it's the hints of orange  mixed with almond that stands out.  Here yet again is a flavor combination I had no idea I would like let alone love.  Almond and orange, who knew?!

DSC01424

Devon had requested two specific desserts for our Easter lunch, lemon bars and almond baby cakes. Though both equally good I had no intentions of making them again. Instead I decided to go with those flavors but in a different and hopefully tastier form.  His lemon bars turned into lemon and mascarpone cream shots and his almond came by way of this delightful almond toffee tart that I found on Our Best Bites. Everything went smoothly making this and truth be told was pretty impressed with myself.  The only thing I wound up having a problem with was the crust.  The edges crumbled when I cut a large slice and fell apart when I tried cutting smaller slices.  I'm not certain where I might have gone wrong but that's why I don't have a photo of it sliced to show you.  DSC01428-1

Almond Toffee Tart
Recipe By OurBestBites.com

Pastry
2 C flour
3/4 C real butter, chilled
2 egg yolks
Filling
1 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2TB fresh orange zest (zest from 1 large orange)
2 C sliced almonds
1/4 tsp pure almond extract
11" or 12" tart pan with removable bottom

To make  the pastry:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray tart pan with cooking spray and set aside.
If you have a food processor, use it!  (Directions by hand to follow).  Place flour in a food processor.  Cut butter into chunks and add to flour.  Pulse until mixture resembles crumbs.  Add in 2 egg yolks and pulse to combine.  If you're doing it by hand.  Use a fork, 2 knives, a pastry blender or your fingers to incorporate the butter chunks into the flour.  Mix in egg yolks and use your hands to combine the mixture. 
Press pastry dough into tart pan and up the sides.  Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven.  When pastry is removed, increase oven heat to 375.

To make the filling:
While pastry is baking make filling.  In a pot on the stove top set to med-high heat, combing whipping cream, sugar, salt, and orange zest.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and add the almonds and extract. (This is filling is very "thin".)  Pour mixture into pastry crust.  (My mixture filled the tart to the tippy tip top.  I set my tart pan on a jelly roll pan.) Cook at 375 for 50-60 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and caramelized.  Remove from oven and let cool on a rack. When it is cool enough to handle, remove the rim of the pan to make sure nothing sticks to it.  You can then store the tart in the pan with the rim on.  Cool completely before serving.  You can make it a day in advance as well, just cool completely and wrap in plastic wrap to store. (I made it the day before and it was fine.)

*Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday weekend!

Technorati Tags: ,,

28 comments:

Risa said...

This tart looks beautiful. You should definitely be proud of yourself for how well it turned out.

Reeni said...

The topping is so gorgeous! I've never seen anything like it. Almond and orange sound great together, a much overlooked flavor combo. Have a great weekend, too!

Elyse said...

Oh man, this tart looks delicious! Those toffee'd almonds look so darn good. Man oh man, I could go for a HUGE slice of this tart right now. Great job, Ingrid!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderful tart! What a great flavor combo!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cristine said...

What a gorgeous tart! Looks so yummy!

Katiecakes said...

That looks delightful! So shiny and nummy!

Katie xox

Emily said...

Almonds and orange. I like it! Sounds like a great combo. The tart looks delicious.

oneordinaryday said...

Oh, I love almonds! This sounds (and looks) just awesome. I'm intrigued by the flavor combination.

Justin said...

wow, talk about an "almond-lovers pie"... that looks intense

Angie's Recipes said...

wow! a great florentine styled tart....

Shelby said...

I am certain I would love this myself as I love anything almond!

Sara said...

This looks great, you know how much I love almonds! I'm almost through my giant jar, I may put some aside for this recipe :)

teresa said...

SO pretty! I love making tarts, but I don't do it near enough. I would love to try this!

*Just Fran* said...

That looks fab!

Monica H said...

You could make mini tarts next time and not have to worry about slicing them or you could use this filling in a different tart crust recipe.

Did you use a serrated knife?

Either way, this looks delicious and I'd gobble this right up!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Almonds and toffee?!? Yum-o! :) It looks beautiful, too!

Lori said...

Oh that is my kind of tart. Looks so good Ingrid!

Anonymous said...

oh my...that lovely carmelized topping of the almonds just sold me. LOVE it!

Denise said...

This tart looks amazing and it sounds like it tasted just as good as it looks

Anonymous said...

YUM. Looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Coleens Recipes said...

This is beautiful! My husband loves almonds and I just bough a big bag of sliced almonds, so I think I'll be making this soon.

Donna-FFW said...

What a gorgeous tart. It sounds delicious and looks so shiny and pretty. I dont mind when crusts fall apart too much, I just pick it up and eat them:) Really looks great!

Debbie said...

Oh does that ever look good. I can just picture a slice with some whipped cream on top...yum!

Kerstin said...

It's so pretty! I love the idea of orange and almonds together - yum!

Abby said...

SO pretty. I love anything - ANYTHING - with almonds. (Except marzipan. Don't come near me with it. Ew.)

grace said...

ingrid, this is tremendous! that's a whole lot of almonds, perhaps my favorite nut, and toffee is always enjoyable. unique and fantastic!

♥Rosie♥ said...

A gorgeous tart! I bet it tasted wonderful.

UPrinting said...

I love almonds! But I'm not really a fan of tarts. I still prefer cakes. :D Thanks for sharing the recipe anyway.