Sunday, May 24, 2009

Banana and Cream Cake with Browned Butter Glaze

DSC01489 This cake is excellent especially if you're looking to use up some over ripe bananas and don't want to make the standard banana bread.  What makes this so outstanding is the browned butter glaze!  It was finger lickin', spatula lickin', bowl lickin'  GOOD!  (Donna behave!  :)) In that first photo you can kinda see the browned bits of butter, yum! Even my non-glaze or frosting loving son tried getting the slices that had the most glaze on them!

DSC01498 I saw this yummilicious banana cream bundt cake over on the blog, Bunny's Warm Oven.  Bunny and Carol make lots delish dishes, both savory and sweet!  They've also welcomed a new contributor, Cyndy.  If you haven't been by yet be sure to hop over.

Bananas and Cream Bundt Cake with Brown Butter Glaze
Taste Of Home

Ingredients:
1/3 cup shortening
1-1/4 cups Domino® or C&H® Granulated Pure Cane Sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (I left these out)
Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Powdered Sugar

Directions: In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add bananas and mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, stirring just until combined. Stir in walnuts. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12-16 servings.

Brown Butter Glaze
RecipeZaar
For Glaze
1/2 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons milk
For glaze:
In a medium bowl, add powdered sugar.
Place butter in a small saucepan. Melt butter over medium heat until bubbly. Cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown.
Remove from heat and pour butter into the bowl of powdered sugar. Add milk and vanilla, stir until smooth.

DSC01493

50 comments:

Jodi said...

Ingrid, this looks so good that I wish you could wrap it up and ship it to me...at least one slice! ;)

Have a great Memorial Day!

oneordinaryday said...

Mmm. Ingrid, that looks really delicious!

Steph said...

That looks so yummy. I love the crumb. Browned butter glaze... soo good!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for this! I was getting so sick of making the same old banana bread all the time! yum!

Coleens Recipes said...

What beautiful photographs!! I can almost smell the banana!!

foodcreate said...

Your recipe look so delicious that i am going to try to bake one tonight. Thanks for sharing.

and you can visit me if i can visit you:)

Welcome! foodcreate

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a gorgeous bundt cake!

Cheers,

Rosa

Shelby said...

Browned butter makes everything better....and I would love a slice of this right now!

Donna-FFW said...

I do not have to behave if I dont wanna. Lickin Lickin Lickin .. so there. You thought guttery first not me..;)

I have this printed out from Bunny. I am so glad you liked it also. I have four bananas rotting away just for this!!

Risa said...

Wow! This cake really looks incredible. I will take a slice!

Leslie said...

perfect, just perfect. I am in love with anything browned butter

Jamie said...

Looks amazing, Ingrid!!!

Reeni said...

Brown butter is an indescribable flavor, I love it to death!! This has my mouth-watering like mad. And paired with a banana cake - how divine!

Justin said...

the brown butter glaze sounds so good

Bunny said...

I'm so glad you liked the cake Ingrid!! The brown butter glaze is what makes this so special!

Monica H said...

ooh, that last picture just got me.

funny how we censor ourselves because we know what Donna is thinking :-)

Abby said...

Ah, shortening. It does my Southern heart proud. Wait ...

And I've never browned butter, but I'd try it for this!

teresa said...

Oooh, I love the glaze! We will soon be needing a good banana recipe, so I will be back!

Emily said...

I love the banana-browned butter combo. Looks so good!

RecipeGirl said...

The browned butter glaze sounds freakin amazing! What a perfect combo.

Hilary said...

Ingrid, this looks fabulous! I'm a sucker for banana cake AND bundt cake.

Sara said...

This looks delicious! I usually turn my overripe bananas into bread, but this looks like an even better option.

Kerstin said...

I love the idea of a browned butter glaze with bananas - yum!

Debbie said...

That banana cake looks great. The brown butter frosting just puts it over the top! Yum!

Megan said...

I gotta try this browned butter glaze. I'm drooling over the pictures!

Elyse said...

OH. MY. GAH. That browned butter glaze looks AMAZING. I just want to stick my finger in it right now. How totally awesome. And I can only imagine how delicious when paired with the banana cake. Great job!

Heather said...

ohh my gosh, that glaze sounds so delicious! i totally wish i was in your kitchen right now! happy memorial day :)

alice said...

This really looks awesome. Seems like everyone is baking with brown butter these days. I have book marked this recipe. TY.

grace said...

ooooooh my, what a glaze. here i thought your toffee almond tart was delectable, but this almost blows it out of the water--bravo!

A_and_N said...

that looks pretty dense! we also made a banana cake in a bundt pan recently. But this probably looks better with the frosting :)

Mireya said...

This looks incredible! And I can't wait to make the lemon bars you posted earlier!

Thank you for the sweet compliments on my blog :) We took our engagement photos back in January and it was 20 degrees out! Also, Steele is his middle name - pronounced like the metal.

Have a great day!

Maria said...

That glaze is calling my name!!

The Blonde Duck said...

The book is coming your way!

Anonymous said...

YUM! It looks perfect and delicious.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

That looks really really REALLY good!

Pam said...

This looks like a little slice of heaven. YUM!

Robin said...

I love browned butter anything. wonderful recipe and pictures!

Nicole said...

this looks really really good. next time I have overripe bananas, I'm making this!

Cristine said...

Ingrid, that looks FANTASTIC!!! Can't wait to try it!

Teanna said...

OK THIS IS TOTALLY GOING ON MY LIST OF SUMMER DESSERTS! My family are huge banana fans and this would be a hit at any bbq this summer! Thanks for sharing!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Ingrid, I am always on the look out for new banana bakes. You certainly have baked an incredible dessert here!

cookies and cups said...

I just came across your blog and have spent 1/2 an hour now reading your posts and drooling over the pictures and recipes! Everything looks great!

Jaime said...

i love anything w/browned butter, savory or sweet!

Pumpkin said...

Haha! Perfect! I have some over-ripe bananas in my freezer waiting for a recipe... I was thinking just yesterday that I should make a banana cake. This looks stellar!

The Purple Foodie said...

The cake looks so good. I can almost feel the smoothness of the crumb looking at picture.

Amanda said...

HOLY MOLY

I am totally making this, wow, that looks so good! Hey if you ever decide to add "subscribe by email" on your blog, let me know. I'm a terrible follower and never check my reader LOL If it doesn't come in email I usually miss it :(

Michelle said...

YUM this looks really good, I've been looking for a new banana recipe since I have like almost done for bananas waiting in my kitchen haha!

Lori said...

Oh my I so want a piece of this cake. It looks so good, all slathered with yum frosting. Pass me a piece will yah!

Unknown said...

I'm not a huge fan of banana, but I'd eat just about anything with that glaze on it! It looks fabulous! Oh, and BTW, we've had your great blog on our blogroll for a while but I don't think we ever mentioned it to you. Keep up the good work!

UPrinting said...

Oh yummy... I think I can eat the butter glaze on its own! :D Well, the banana cake isn't so bad either. Thanks for sharing the recipe.