Sunday, May 3, 2009

Angel Cake

DSC01563

This Angel Cake almost didn't happen. As a matter of fact this is the second cake that was chosen by Charity and I's two person baking group.  The first cake we chose was Baked's Snowball cupcakes which are coconut cupcakes filled with coconut cream and topped with a coconut cooked flour frosting. This was my choice.  Sounds good doesn't it but we just couldn't get excited enough about it to get around to making it, maybe next time.  With that cake by the wayside I decided to bypass my turn and let Charity chose the next cake. Charity chose an Angel Cake from the Joy of Cooking.  If you're here from Charity's blog or already ready her post you'll have read that she had issues finding an aluminum tube pan.  Six stores later and still no pan.  Determined to make this cake she finally caved and bought a nonstick one.   Me? I've had a tube pan that I purchased some time ago but never used. I'm finally gonna get to break that sucker in but wait! Charity has mentioned in her emails that she can NOT find a nonstick one.  Hmm, yeah. It got me thinkin'.  Could mine be nonstick?  Uh, yeah. It's nonstick.  Well, I learned from Charity that the aluminum ones are hard to come by if you don't order it online so I just used my nonstick one and prayed that it worked ok.  I think it worked but here's the thing I'm not sure how tall the cake should have been.  Mine only rose to three inches but unlike Charity's mine never sank.  I've never tasted homemade Angel Cake before so I'm not sure if this is what it's supposed to taste like but I do know it tastes waaaaaaaaaaaay better than any store bought or boxed one I ever tasted.  I loved this cake.  Based on my prior experiences with Angel Cake I was prepared to not like it.  I figured like the store bought kind it would need something , berries, whipped cream but it didn't and it's a "healthy" cake! Because I was already behind the eight ball with the pan I went ahead and just made the plain one but I'm going to try some of the other flavors.  There's even a candy bar one! 

DSC01575

Please, hop over to Charity's to see how she faired with her cakeDSC01570 and get the recipe.  She also has some helpful tips. If you like Angel Cake give it a try.  I actually thought it was pretty easy and much better than any store bought one or mix.  The toughest part for me was flipping that hot tube pan over without burning myself or dropping it on the floor.

Technorati Tags: ,

36 comments:

Steph said...

I love angel food cake!! Ever since i messed up horribly on my first one, I've been too afraid to try again. Your looks amazing!! If only I knew what to do with left over yolks... I guess i could make many, many batches of CCC and then freeze the dough.

Laura said...

I too have been sitting on an angel food cake pan for forever. I have always wanted to make one--maybe you have inspired me.

My mom owned about 3 non nonstick ones--when I realized that I asked her for one because yes they are a pain to find and how dumb is that?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's a delicious and absolutely delightful cake! Perfect when served together with fruits!

Cheers,

Rosa

CM said...

Yours looks fabulous... turned out better than mine! I agree that the cake is good enough to eat plain (I have been snitching little slices here and there)... and the fact that the basic one was so easy makes me want to try the variations. I think once I have my mom's plain aluminum pan I'll try a lemon version.

Julie said...

That looks so sweet and fluffy. Bet it was wonderful with those berries :)

Donna-FFW said...

Looks fantastic Ingrid, I will have to try it based on your recommendation.. perfect dessert for spring. Love it.

Cristine said...

Beautiful angel food cake! Looks divine!

grace said...

i think angel food cake is so appropriately-named. :)
yours looks perfect, but i must say i'll be looking for that coconut creation!!

alice said...

Looks fabulous! Also one of my favorites...for special occasions my mom always split in half, made a little tunnel in it and filled with chocolate pudding, frost with whipped cream, yum! I think you've inspired me, maybe that's what I'll make today
and on a little side note... I work at a kitchen store, and we have aluminum tube pans,not that that did you any good ;) Just wanted to let you know they are still out there.
have a great day!

teresa said...

This looks so pretty and fluffy!

Reeni said...

My Mom has a really old pan, she never uses it, I should covet it to make this. It turned out so tall and perfect. How yummy!!

Pam said...

Mmm. It looks light and delicious.

Elyse said...

What a daring pick for yours and Charity's bake-along! I'm super impressed with how awesome your angel food looks. I can't wait to check out Charity's. Great job! So glad you finally got to break in that pan. Note to myself: order a non-stick pan! Never really thought about that rise before :)

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks so tasty and decadent!

Leslie said...

They sell the cheap aluminum tube pans at Michaels crafts. I just bought one last week!! dont forget to use your 40% off coupon

Heather said...

those blackberries look so fresh and delicious!

Monica H said...

Beautiful photos!
I'm off to check out Charity's cake...

Maris said...

I love angel food cake with some strawberries and whipped topping! YUM!

Stephanie said...

mmyum! I've only had storebought angel cake... which was.. lets say LESS than exciting - thats why I've never made it myself! Based on your results, looks like I should try this one! This looks terrific - nothing like the ones I've had from the stores.

Anonymous said...

I first fell in love with angel food cake when I tried a sample in WholeFoods...so far, I haven't had anything as good as the one there, but I found out it's only because I bought crappy store-bought ones! now you've inspired me to try baking it for myself...
btw, what do you do with leftover yolks? I've got a great egg yolk sponge cake recipe if you'd like...

Bunny said...

Ingrid this looks perfect, I always use my non stick tube pan to make angel food cakes. I've never had a problem. Your's looks the right height too! it looks fantastic!!

Shelby said...

That photo with the blackberries just kills me! I would love this!

Teanna said...

That angel food cake is pure perfection! It looks so light and beautiful!

lisa (dandysugar) said...

Absolutely dreamy, Ingrid! Perfectly light and airy with the whipped topping and berries. Beautiful!

The Blonde Duck said...

Penelope's pie shop ended last week! It was the last one!

And I got your e-mail. I'm going to do some research on digital illustration and send you some ideas...

Aimée said...

You are such a cake expert! This looks so good it's driving me crazy!

Mermaid Sews said...

I have never liked angel food cakes before, but they have all been store bought, I will have to try making it at home.

Danae said...

This looks beautiful! I think you did a fantastic job!

Maria said...

Love the angel cake, especially with the berries on top!!
Our ABin5 dough is always sticky too! So you did it right:) I am glad you tried it! It is amazing huh??

Amanda said...

I've made angel food cake once before and I agree, it's way better than store bought! Yours looks lovely!

Debbie said...

I have never made home made angel cake but now I feel like I want to try. I always thought you needed something along with it too, like berries, etc. Home made sounds interesting. I will have to try this sometime.

Abby said...

I've never made angel food cake, either. I need a tube pan. That's my excuse, anyway.

The pic with the berries? Divine.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

My Grandma makes AMAZING Angel Food Cake, and she tops it with sticky delicious pink fluffy frosting!

Eliana said...

My problem with angel food cake is that I can't stop eating it because its like light and fluffy. My favorite is lemon angel food cake. Hmmmm.

Risa said...

I am so glad you made this cake because it looks beautiful and delicious! I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

good!國民旅遊卡,麻辣火鍋,喝水,多喝水,火車,喝水,火花,多喝水,喝茶,四物湯,喝水,喝茶論壇,吃喝玩樂,鹼質好喝,啤酒,程式,多喝水,喝水程式,生化湯,檸檬水,喝水,喝水,喝酒,喝茶,喝水,羊奶,喝茶吃魚,經痛,桂格,吃吃喝喝,黑松,羊奶,軍火,豆漿,喝酒,喝水,喝水,喝多少水,喝茶,喝水,台中,喝水,天堂,台中,青花瓷,菜花,聊天,民宿,線上,花岩山林,秘密花園,名模花花,花朵,寶徠,林家花園,花蓮美食,清潔,花語,白河,流星花園,熱水器,花園歌,民宿,電影城,花蓮房屋,蔡依林,流星花園,火花遊戲,桃花,夜市