Tuesday, November 30, 2010

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Program

 

I was just sent this email from a board member of ITMS PTSA.  I know many of you have school age children and even if you don’t, you know of  a local school that could use the help.

Borders will donate $15 gift card to the school of your choice for any in store purchase you make regardless of amount of purchase. It doesn't even have to be a book - food items count as well. Please take advantage of this on Saturday and Sunday. See details below.

Borders gives schools free gift cards worth $15 The much discussed documentary "Waiting for Superman," which offers a harsh portrait of the country's public schools, has inspired a promotional collaboration among the Borders Group superstore chain, an education fundraiser and the publisher of the movie's companion book.

On Dec. 4 and Dec. 5, any Borders customer making an in-store purchase, whether of a book or a bagel or a latte, will receive a $15 gift card to donate to a public school of choice through DonorsChoose.org, an Internet-based charity.


Anyone purchasing the book "Waiting for 'Superman': How We Can Save America's Failing Public Schools" will receive a second $15 card. The companion text was published by PublicAffairs, part of the Perseus Books Group, which along with Borders and DonorsChoose.org announced the campaign Sunday.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Thanks for letting me know about this. I am at Borders at least once a week but had no idea this was going on....

oneordinaryday said...

This is great. Is it for any state? And Waiting for Superman is on my list of books to get my hands on, so that's pretty awesome. Thanks for the heads-up.

Julie said...

That's absolutely amazing...makes me want to run to the border right now!

Faith said...

Such a great cause to support! I had no idea about this, thanks for the info, Ingrid!

Julie M. said...

Very cool! I'll have to pass it on to our PTA as well!

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea!

Lori said...

A wonderful idea. I think I will go to Borders just to do this. And I think I will choose one of the more poorer states. Thanks Ingrid for the heads up!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Nice thanks!

Barbara said...

Super idea, Ingrid. I'll pass it along...never read about this anyplace!