Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars

pumpkin-cream-cheese-bars2

Jamie from My Baking Addiction described these as tasting like her nana’s pumpkin roll and while I’ve never tried her nana’s pumpkin roll they didn’t taste like any of the pumpkin rolls I’ve eatened.  They were however still  very good.  Good enough, in fact, for my pumpkin disliking son, Jalen to gobble up two and tell me pumpkin’s not so bad.  :)

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars

pumpkin-cream-cheese-bars

Bar

6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter

1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (288 grams)

2 large eggs

1 cup canned pumpkin (240 grams)

1/3 cup water

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (220 grams)

1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice*

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Cream Cheese Layer

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar (48 grams)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg

*Pumpkin Pie Spice mix, makes 1 tablespoon

1  1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoons ground ginger

3/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

3/8 teaspoon ground allspice

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until smooth. Beat in 2 eggs, pumpkin, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/3 cup water until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
3. In another bowl, mix flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until and combine until well blended. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan
4. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, and  ½ teaspoon of vanilla until smooth.
5. Drop cream cheese mixture in evenly spaced portions over the pumpkin batter. Pull a knife tip through filling to swirl slightly into batter.
6. Bake in a 350° oven until center of the pumpkin batter (not cream cheese mixture) springs back when touched, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan, then cut into 24 bars.

Printable Recipe

pumpkin-cream-cheese-bars1

~ Notes ~

~ I did not swirl my cream cheese filling directly into the batter.  Here’s how I did things.  I put 2/3 of the pumpkin batter into my pan and spread  the filling over it.  With the balance of the batter I dolloped it over the  cream cheese layer in small amounts and smoothed out as best I could.  After smoothing it out I then dragged a chop stick through the batters to get a swirled effect.

38 comments:

Chelsea said...

Wow! These look very similar to some blondies I made a while back. Aren't pumpkin and cream cheese the greatest combination? :)

Lori said...

Wow, quite a new look you got here. Looks great Ingrid.

And I am totally drooling over my keyboard. This is totally my kina dessert. I love pumpkin and hey Jalen's right pumpkins not so bad at all.

Cristine said...

Oh no!!!! Don't tempt me with another pumpkin dessert! :) Looks fantastic, Ingrid!

Monica H said...

Your header is so pretty! What talented person made that for you? ha ha! kidding.

Your new look does look great though and so do these bars. They look so cakey and moist- yum.

Oh, ad I like the colors you chose for the links :-)

jennifer said...

ingrid! this dessert looks AMAZING! :D and love your new header as well.. mine's having a bit of an identity crisis as we speak! :'(

xoxo,
jennifer
www.mylittleadventures.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

The first thing I thought when I saw the picture was, "I bet this tastes like a pumpkin roll, only WAY easier to make." Can't wait to try it!

Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) said...

I am drooooling over your header and this pumpkin bar! YUM!!! Great photos!

Lucie said...

Creamy pumpkin...mmm, dreamy. I'd like to bite into one of these!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those look terrific! An irresistible treat.

Cheers,

Rosa

Ana said...

Tiene u naspecto espectacular, lo voy a intentar hacer este fin de semana.
Besos

Debbie said...

The bars look great Ingrid...please pass one here!!! I love the new look of your blog. Fantastic! Can you drop me an email when you have a chance and let me know how to go about changing mine. I've used blogger templates and all but I want something more original. Have no clue how to go about it at all...Thanks!

oneordinaryday said...

I am totally loving your new header! Gorgeous photos!!!!!

This looks yummy and sounds a lot like my pumpkin bread. My family won't let me in the door at Christmas if I don't have at least 2 loaves of the stuff. :)
I'm sending you the recipe right now. Maybe Jalen will like it - Sam won't touch it cause of the cream cheese swirl. LOL

cookies and cups said...

Those do look delicious!
Like the new look too!

Avril said...

LOVE your new "delicious" header Ingrid! AND I just love the looks of these scrumptious Pumpkin Bars....cream cheese layer and all!

Happy Weekend to come!
~avril :-)

Kate H.(www.sprinkletherapy.blogspot.com) said...

Hi Ingrid! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I totally agree with you. I forget to take pictures b/c I'm always afraid I'm going to get oil, water or sugar on my camera and mess it up!

Ps. I'm now a follower of your yummy blog :)

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Hey Ingrid ~ love your new look! I'm all over anything pumpkin and those bars look freaking fantastic! Have a great weekend :)

Linda said...

I love the new look Ingrid! Pumpkin and cream cheese is a heavenly pairing and this looks and sounds amazing! i have so many of your posts bookmarked, but haven't made them yet...I need to get in gear and start baking.

Unknown said...

This is my favorite treat I have seen today, yummy

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

i love how yummy this is. it is so irresistable :)

Eliana said...

Hmmm - could these look more delicious? I don't think so!!! (And I'm really digging the new look too)

Unknown said...

Oh this looks good. I want to bake something and am being very indecisive but I think this just solved my dilemma. I think I have everything for this. Thanks! These look good!

The Blonde Duck said...

I really want these.

teresa said...

ingrid, your page looks WONDERFUL! as do these pumpkin bars, drrooooool.

Deborah said...

Pumpkin + cream cheese = delicious!!!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Oh goodness me! This combination of flavor sounds ammmazing! Wow!

Great blog!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Julie M. said...

Honestly, any time you add cream cheese to the mix in a dessert, you have a winner in my opinion.

These bars look fantastic! I love your new look btw! Your banner is great! did you do it yourself?

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

These are absolutely super bars and love all the layers that shine !!!
How are u sweet Ingrid?

Donna-FFW said...

I am LOVING your new blog look INgrid!!

Your photos are just gorgeous.. the bars look absolutely perfect, PERFECT, adding them to my list to try..

Faith said...

Love the new look, Ingrid! These bars look perfect -- love pumpkin-y treats!

Sherry G said...

Maybe your son will be a pumpkin convert! These bars look phenom. Your pictures look nice as well.
Ps- The new look is great;)

Barbara said...

Well Ingrid, I copied this recipe before I commented! In guess that explains it in a nutshell!

Kerstin said...

What great photos - they look so tasty and addicting! Lovely blog makeover too :)

Abby said...

Hey, lady! Lookin' good around here! And those bars look scrumptious. My sister would totally dig them! Pumpkin and cream cheese are her faves.

Leslie said...

Yummy bars! And beautiful photos. I really need to learn my camera so I can figure out how to get good depth of field like you have in these photos!!!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

Yummy! I just finished almost an entire pan of Pumpkin Cheesecake bars too, without any guilt! hahah...I could have kept eating it, thank goodness it is gone!

grace said...

fantastic photos of a flavorful and festive treat, ingrid!

jennifer said...

i'm sure i won't have to lie ~ they look / sound delicious!! i don't think i've gone wrong with your recipes yet! :)

Delicious Dishings said...

I get so obsessed with pumpkin recipes at this time of year. (Just made a pumpkin chocolate chip layer cake last night.) These bars look awesome!