Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Desserts

pumpkin-roll

Libby’s Pumpkin Roll

PB-chocolate-brownies

Brownies with PB Chips, Mini PB Cups, & Chocolate PB Ganache

almond-cherry-pie-bars

Cherry Almond Pie Bars

Here are the three desserts I made for Thanksgiving.  They were all very good but the surprise standout was the almond cherry pie bars.   Everyone thought thought they were amazing.  Even those that normally go for the pumpkin or chocolate desserts went back for seconds of the pie bars.  Another plus, besides their overall deliciousness they are also waaaay easier than baking an actual pie!

This recipe comes by way of Amanda’s Cookin’ and her blackberry pie squares recipe.  (If you haven’t yet, check her out.  I’ve made a few of her recipes and have been please with each one.  She also has a pretty cool craft blog. )  I’ve adapted her recipe twice now.  The first time I used Lucky Leaf’s blueberry pie filling and upped the lemon factor by adding the zest of one lemon to the sugar. This time around I used Lucky Leaf’s cherry pie filling and subbed in almond extract for the vanilla. 

Almond Cherry Pie Bars, adapted from Amanda’s Cookin'

Bars:

1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temp
4 eggs, room temp
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
30 ounces cherry pie filling,* (21 oz. is one can of pie filling but I added another half a can)

Glaze:

1 1/4 cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

2 tablespoons heavy cream, enough to make the glaze pourable

1/4 teaspoon of almond extract

almond-cherry-pie-bars1

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cream sugar and butter in mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Add the almond and beat well. Whisk together flour and baking powder. Turn mixer speed down to lowest setting and slowly add flour mixture until completely combined.

Spread half of mixture onto an ungreased 15x10 jelly roll pan. (Amanda weighted hers out.) Spread pie filling over the top of the batter. Drop remaining batter onto the pie filling layer by spoonfuls.  Spread gently.  (I use a damp offset spatula to do this. Don’t worry about it not being perfect.  It all works out.)

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. (I took mine out at 38 minutes. Do not under bake. Remove to a wire rack.

Whisk together the powdered sugar, melted butter, and heavy cream.  Drizzle over warm bars. (Toasted almond slices would be nice sprinkled on top.  I didn’t add them because my Dad doesn’t care much for nuts. He’s weird! :))

Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.

Printable recipe

*Note:

lucky-leaf

I have been very fortunate to receive Lucky Leaf’s pie fillings.  Each one I have tried has been wonderful.  In the past I’ve never cared for the other brands I’ve tried. I found that they were too sweet and artificial tasting.  Not so with Lucky Leaf.  And for those of you staying away from high fructose corn syrup you’ll be happy to hear that Lucky Leaf’s does not contain any!

Disclosure:  While I received Lucky Leaf pie fillings to try.  The opinions expressed here are all my own.



If you haven’t yet, click here to enter my Thankful Giveaway! 

 

30 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the idea of a pie bar! I might try these for Christmas, if I can wait that long! Looks like all the dessert was delicious though.

cocoa and coconut said...

Yum Yum! I'd like a slice of the pumpkin roll I think...

Lucie said...

Mmm--I bet the almond extract brings it up to another level!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those pie bars are just too irresistible! What lovely desserts. I want a slice of them all!

Cheers,

Rosa

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love everything in here...

Paris Pastry said...

Three desserts?! I would have loved to join your Thanksgiving party then ;) Your roll looks so pretty. Mine always breaks!

pam said...

Since I don't bakek pies, this is perfect!

oneordinaryday said...

Picture perfect, Ingrid! I'm so jealous of you and that camera. I bet you could even make my pitiful crescent rolls look good. :)

I'm having a hard time deciding which of your desserts I'd most like to eat. They all sound (and look) amazing.

Heather S-G said...

Okay, while all three sound delish...that cherry pie bar...I want it! It sounds awesome...has my belly on full growl this morning :D

Faith said...

Everything looks delicious, Ingrid! We didn't make the pumpkin roll for some reason this Thanksgiving and I really missed it! Definitely going to make it at some point during this holdiay season. ;) And those pie bars look amazing!

Delicious Dishings said...

Wow. That would surprise me too because that pumpkin roll and the brownies look incredible. It sounds like they all must have been big hits!

Mimi said...

I love the cherry pie bars. Last year I made Brandy's at Nutmeg Nanny apple pie bars and they where perfect way to serve pie at a party.
Mimi

Karen @ Mignardise said...

The pie looks really good but I'd like a slice of the pumpkin roll. Your photo of it is terrific!
I made one many years back and have always wanted to do it again, but time always gets away from me. Maybe next year!

teresa said...

lovely lovely desserts ingrid!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to try a pumpkin roll!

Shelby said...

Ingrid, it all looks so yummy! I could eat some of each and every one!

cookies and cups said...

I need to come to your house for Thanksgiving! Those desserts are right up my alley!

Avril said...

Ok, so if i send you a piece of the Raspberry RED Velvet cake will you send me a little square of each of these delicious treasures?!? Absolutely gorgeous Ingrid! HUGS!!!

naomi said...

Loving the dessert spread you put together for your family on Thanksgiving.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday!

I still have yet to try the Libby roll. I'm going to give it a go based on your love for it! :)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and am happy to "meet" you here! Looking so forward to reading through your recipes... they look delicious and your photos are amazing. I'm your newest follower!

Julie M. said...

Oh how I love almond extract! I can already tell you that this would be my fave of the bunch as well. They all look delicious!

Foodiewife said...

You had me at almond extract... and that pumpkin roll ain't no chopped liver either! Seriously, I'd like one of each. I can already feel my blood sugar spiking! Nom, nom

grace said...

i've made a few cake rolls in my time and i can only remember one instance when it was crack-free. well done!

Deborah said...

I would love a piece of each, please!! Delish!

Monica H said...

I wanna see the inside of those bars. Holy yum! Great pictures Ingrid. Pumpkin roll tops my list of favorites.

Unknown said...

Oh man those desserts look good! I normally don't care for chocolate but that chocolate cake looks to die for!

Diana's Cocina said...

What lovely treats Ingrid! I'm enjoying your beautiful pics. Well done!

kimberleyblue said...

Ooh, those cherry almond bars sounded like they would be my favourite. I fell in love with them right away! They remind of cherry turnovers - gotta make these!

Abby said...

I know how you love your bars! And I am totally making those. Blueberry and lemon? Wonderful.

Petersondlaf said...

Okay, while all three sound delish...that cherry pie bar...I want it! It sounds awesome...has my belly on full growl this morning :D