Sunday, August 24, 2008

Devon's banana bread pudding ~ tweaked

Earlier in the week I happened to mention saving some  bread  for bread pudding.  Well Devon heard and for several days he waited for me to whip him up some.  Unfortunate for him  I  had strawberries aging in the fridge so he was out.  By Thursday he was willing to take matters into his own hands and make the bread pudding himself.  I went online (luv the Internet) and googled banana bread pudding recipes.    I found quite a few but needed to keep in mind that Devon was going to do the majority of the work.  I found this recipe at Recipezaar.  It seemed perfect for him.  We had  all the ingredients, the directions were simple, and it only made 1 to 2 servings.

DSC00185

This is picture isn't the best but I was lucky to get it as Devon was holding the pan in one hand and and a spoon in the other!

Banana Bread Pudding (Tweaked)  adapted from here

1 egg

1/8 cup sugar (I eyeballed it using a 1/4 cup measuring cup)

1 T of butter (then melted)

1 ripen banana

1/4 chocolate chips or chopped nuts (you chose, I added chopped pecans, next time I'll toast them)

2 slices slightly stale bread (I toasted 2 1/2 slices and cut off the crusts, next time I'll make it 3 slices)

* I added a dash of fresh grated nutmeg & a bigger dash of cinnamon

1.  In a small bowl beat the egg

2.  lightly toast bread

3.  add the sugar and melted butter to the egg, mix until smooth

4. add dashes of nutmeg and  cinnamon

5. remove toast and trim crust, set a side

6. add banana to mixture and mash, the batter will be lumpy

7.  tear toast into bit size pieces and add to batter, mixing well so that the toast is coated with the batter, toss in nuts or chips

8.  Pour into a small (6" is ideal) baking dish

9.  Bake in a 375 F preheat oven for 15 minutes.  (a toothpick should come out clean)

Devon and Babygirl who mooched some, really liked it but I thought it needed to be tweaked even more.  The amount of bread to banana was off.  It definitely needs a bit more bread.  The nuts should have been toasted and next time I will add bigger dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg.  I also thought it needed a bit more sugar, maybe a little brown?  I'm wondering if a splash of cream or milk would hurt?  I noticed in other recipes that they called for one or both.  Guys, I'm getting crazy here, changing things up....usually I'm straight by the book!  I'm evolving!  Yea, me! Oh, yes, you might have figured out by now but  I wound up making it though Devon did get everything out and ready for me.

LiveJournal Tags: ,

7 comments:

Helene said...

Thanks for stopping by Ingrid, always good to see who's out there!! Bread pudding is my favorite thing to make and eat on a rainy day...I think I see one in the forecast for tomorrow :) !!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

So nice to transform "going-bad" food into a nice treat! I like how it's only for 2, no leftovers is good for the hips! Sounds delicious!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

tartelette~
Thank YOU for stopping by; I'm honored. Looking forward to YOUR recipe for bread pudding.
~ingrid

clumbsy cookie~
Hi! Yeah, that smaller portion is nice. Since finding all these yummy food blogs out there I've seriously gained weight. I'm up about a size and a half! :-(

It was okay. The recipe needs work.

~ingrid

Honeyed Hashette said...

Good Morning, Ingrid!
Thanks for stopping by and for reading my blog!
I know it sounds wrong, but I had to double the marshmallow buttercream to cover 12 cupcakes. Now, I provide quite a bit of icing because it's pretty, so it is safe to say you could possible get 12 cupcakes worth out of one batch, but if you want to pipe it, you will most likely need to double it. :)

My Sweet & Saucy said...

This looks great! What a fun treat to eat!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

janna~ Thanks for coming by and responding so quickly to my question. I'm definitely going to give the recipe a try and am doubling it for sure. I like a little cake with my frosting. HA-ha!
~ingrid

Ingrid_3Bs said...

my sweet & my saucy ~
Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment. The wasn't the best photo. Though I'm not certain how much better I could have done. Still learning and having fun!
~ingrid