Monday, March 2, 2009

Double Chocolate Layer Cake

5Okay, I lied, no lemon curd today instead you get cake, chocolate cake. On a previous post Charity from Sweet Charity Pie left me a comment asking if I'd like to collaborate with her on a cake. My response was YES. I'm a scaredy cat baker and doing something like this would help propel me out of my comfort zone. Because it was her idea and she'd been craving chocolate cake we went with Ina Garten's Double Chocolate Layer Cake.

6

The recipe was surprisingly easy. I followed the it with my only change being the size of the cake pans I used. I baked it in 3 six inch pans turning it into a triple layer chocolate cake. I had some extra batter and made 5 cuppycakes as well. I made the frosting that went with the recipe but like Charity I didn't add the egg yoke or the coffee. Instead of using all semisweet chocolate I used 3 oz of Starbucks Mocha Dark Chocolate.

10

I almost forgot to tell you...the cake, it was actually pretty good and definitely moist. As some of you may remember I don't like chocolate especially chocolate cake. I think a big part of that dislike was that I hadn't had a "good" cake made with quality chocolate and not from a box. While I am not running to the kitchen for another slice of cake I wouldn't turn up my nose if offered one. Please hop over to visit Charity and see how hers turned out.

1 - Copy

The photos are courtesy of my sitter, Karolyn. Thanks Miss Karolyn!

Technorati Tags: ,
Post a Comment