Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Red Velvet Cake "Baked" with Charity

r7

On a previous post I mentioned that Charity from Sweet Charity  Pie and I collaborated on a Double Chocolate Layer Cake well, this week we've "Baked" up a Red Velvet Cake.  Charity picked last week's cake so this week was my turn.  I've been wanting to make a red velvet cake for a long time but being the scaredy cake baker that I am I needed a push.  When Charity inquired about what cake I was interested in I knew with out a doubt it was red velvet.  I crossed my fingers that she didn't hate red velvet and sent her an email.  She didn't and sent along links to various red velvet recipes but there was one red velvet post that I just couldn't shake and knew now was the time.  Finalizing our plans I emailed Charity the link to Cassie's post about the red velvet cupcakes she had made along with a boiled frosting.  Yay, Charity agreed it was the perfect recipe. 

I've got to tell you that this cake started out well but in the middle became a small disaster that I thought would end as a HUGE disappointment. 

The red velvet cake we made was from the popular cookbook Baked by Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito.  If this cake is anything to go by then the rest of the recipes are going to be as awesome everyone else has raved. 

r4 My only change to the cake recipe was to use two smaller 6 inch pans. With the balance of batter I made  twelve cupcakes.  As usual I over filled them and only two were presentable.  Half of the cupcakes went to work as a birthday to treat to one of our vendors, half stayed home, and the two layers went in to the freezer to be frosted at a later date (Tuesday night after baseball practice).  For the cupcakes I made a cream cheese frosting from Simply Recipes.  Let me tell you that frosting was darn good, best cream cheese I've had yet! (I did halve the recipe.) With regards to the frosting recipe for the cake I used the one that went with it in the cookbook, Baked.  I followed Cassie and only added two out of the three sticks of butter the was called for in the recipe.  The frosting which is a boiled frosting, tasted, oh my goodness good! Unfortunately for me it did not really firm up. I eventually did after an overnight stay in the fridge but not without  slipping a bit.  The other thing I noticed about the frosting was it looked sort of like over whipped whipped cream.  You can see it in the photos of the cake.  (I don't think the book's instructions for making the frosting were detailed enough.)  After going back today to look over Cassie's post I noticed in her final photo of the cooked flour/sugar mixture that hers looked thicker than mine so perhaps that was the culprit for the slippery soft frosting. 

DSC01121

I'm sure you're wondering what about the cake and small disaster.  Well, the both the cake and cupcakes were soft, fluffy, moist and tender.  They were worth all the trouble I went through.  I'm almost sure I'd make this again it someone I LOVED was to request it again.  LOL!  It will probably be along the lines of childbirth for right now the pain is fresh but in the end it will be fade and even be forgotten enough that I'll give another go!

Now the story of my disaster.  I'm not sure about you guys but I have the very bad habit of cleaning as I go and maybe I get a little distracted by the cleaning.  On this occasion it bit me in the butt because as my butter, egg, and buttermilk was slowly mixing in my KitchenAid I started to wipe the surrounding area.  I noticed a spot behind the mixer and brilliant me reached behind with my sponge.  As I pull my arm back it hits the lever and increases the speed to THE MAX sending pink eggy, sliming, stinky batter sans flour EVERYWHERE.  All over my new white t-shirt (why the heck didn't I wear my apron, my consolation was it really wouldn't have helped), all over my clean dishes sitting near by, my glasses, my hair, over my containers of utensils, on the walls, and floors.  I mean everywhere three days later I'm still find small dots of red. (I actually have photos which I intended to post but everything looked so gross I just couldn't.)  Now mind you its 1o o'clock at night when this happens.  I've lost part of my batter and it's going to take me a while to clean up (Thanks, honey, for helping and not laughing too much!).  I cleaned up enough to forge on despite my worry that I've lost too much of the liquid part of my batter.  All's well that ends well because my cake tasted wonderful and (I think) the cupcakes even better.  I wish I learned my lesson but the following night as I was making frosting I found myself doing the same thing again.  The dummy just won't learn!

DSC01115

Please take a moment to read about Charity's take on this cake.  I won't give it away, so go on now and check!  (Charity, sorry about posting this soo last minute!)

*The lovely cake photos are courtesy of Miss Karolyn & the cupcake ones are me.

** Sorry I haven't been around as much to read and comment on your blogs. I've been struggling with the time change and am just so behind. I have three other posts to add photos to and publish and another three to add photos and links!  Hope to be all caught up soon!

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cake looks amazing! That cake stand is adorable! Mind sharing where you bought it? :)

Heather said...

that looks so good! red velvet is my favorite! i've never done a boiled frosting before but it sounds delicious!

Monica H said...

Did you like the cinnamon frosting? I've always been turned off my this recipe because of the "Red Hot" part of it. I strongly believe red velvet should be topped with cream cheese frosting. But that's just my opinion. I LOVE red velvet and your cupcakes look lovely.

CM said...

Omigod! Sounds like a huge mess...
Your photos are awesome! I especially like the one with the cupcake with the green background- it looks perfect.
How was the cream cheese frosting with the cake? I didn't mind the cinnamon frosting, but did have issues while making it, and found it a little too sweet for my liking. Definitely wasn't my favorite cake ever, but it hasn't put me off of cake baking.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A fantastic cake! So beautiful looking! That frosting looks delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cristine said...

The cake and cupcakes look fantastic! I made a red velvet cake for a past Daring Baker challenge and loved it. I would definately give this recipe a go!

Your mixer fiasco gave me a good laugh. I'm sure it was frustrating at the time, but at least you have the pictures to look back on and laugh about! :)

oneordinaryday said...

I don't even know where to start! LOL
First, I LOVE your cupcake photos! They are perfect and your piping is wonderful. Great, great job. Don't you love how they look in those little nut cups?
You made me laugh out loud with your little mixing fiasco. I guess it's lucky for me that I tend to leave a big mess behind until the very end. :)
You did an awesome job. The cake looks beautiful.

Michelle
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/

Bridget said...

That will teach you to clean! ;)

The cake...and cupcake..look GORGEOUS!!! Wow!

Anonymous said...

The cake looks great and so does the cupcakes, sure wish I was there to taste them!

Sara said...

Your cake is beautiful! I've been searching for the perfect red velvet cupcake recipe, the one I use tastes good, but the cakes come out a little flat.

Donna-FFW said...

It looked really pretty Ingrid. Next time just wear your apron, nothing else. You wont get stains that way and its more fun. The frosting sounds delicious.

Elyse said...

Oh, man! What a hysterical disaster!! Makes for a great story, after the fact. The cake turned out fabulously. It looks so delicious. I've been wanting to try red velvet cake, too, so you've given me the push I need. All the recipes in Baked that I've tried have been AMAZING.

Maria said...

LOVE the red velvet cake, it is beautiful!! The cupcakes are awesome too! Such a great post!

I made your snickerdoodle blondies last night, I made a few tweeks, they are SO good. I will post them soon! Thanks!

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

Ahh! That's my worst nightmare when I'm making red velvet cake. I treat the batter like it's nitroglycerin! Oh wow I feel for you. What a nightmare --- but hey, at least the cake came out okay. :)

And by the way, I own two aprons and have yet to get into the habit of wearing them when I bake. I think it's because they are pretty and I don't want to get them dirty!

Heeeeeey --- that green ribbon looks awfully familiar....(giggle)

Deborah said...

I love red velvet and I've wanted this cookbook. It looks wonderful! Sorry about the mess and disaster - I can't imagine how hard that was to clean up!

A_and_N said...

The velvet cake looks unbelievable! What kind of red coloring did you use? I also LOVED the cake stand. Pretty neat stuff :)

And speaking of abseball, who do you root for :) ?

♥Rosie♥ said...

I have always wanted to make a red velvet cake and you certainly have done this cake justice it's beautiful!

Rosie x

Reeni said...

It's really gorgeous!! And scrumptious! Love your presentation!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Whoa! Sorry to hear about that hyper-speed disaster! I agree the instructions in the book are not very detailed. I did some googling about boiled flour frosting before I made mine. Most people said to boil it for a loooong time until it's verrry thick. If it wasn't for the internet, what would we do??? Lol :D

Anonymous said...

The Red Velvet Cake that makes going through labor, well, a piece of cake. ;)
I love it.

Anonymous said...

Red velvet cake is one of my classic favorites. Mmm. Despite your "disaster" you cake and your two cupcakes look beautiful. I love the cake presentation!

angie said...

I hate to laugh at your disaster, but I couldn't help it! I love cream cheese frosting, but have never attempted to make it from scratch. I'll have to try soon. And all the photos are great! I expect your cupcakes will be on tastespotting and foodgawker?!

The Blonde Duck said...

I made red velvet cupcakes last night for Libby too! We're twinkies!

RecipeGirl said...

I simply must have this Baked cookbook. I've been hearing about it everywhere!! LOVE red velvet. Nice job w/ it!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photographs! Everything looks so elegant and above all else, sweet! ;)

Pam said...

I've done that with my mixer before too - it makes such a mess. The cake looks beautiful and the cupcakes are as cute as can be.

Jodi said...

The cake and cupcakes look great! So sorry it was a little messy! :) It would have been interesting to see the pictures. Those type of things always make for an interesting story to tell!

I love the cake stand and the cups/ribbon for the cupcakes.

shanna said...

Wow, you make cake look good. SO good.

Mary Bergfeld said...

The cake is beautiful despite its difficult birth. As to the learning thing ... third times a charm. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope to see you often.

Anonymous said...

I've never even tasted a red velvet cake, much less make one. This looks like the recipe I may try for my first time...sounds so good! Amazing photos!

redmenace said...

This cake looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Both the cake and the cupcakes look lovely! I love both presentations.

I can totally sympathize with your little mishap. I've done that myself before with the blender!

Alexandra said...

The cake looks beautiful! And I totally know what you mean about cleaning while you go and getting distracted by it. I do it all the time myself lol I'm crazy about keeping my kitchen clean -- even when I'm working in it!

grace said...

doh! i'm sorry that happened to you, and i'll keep in mind because i'm a clean-as-i-go baker too. your creations look marvelous. :)

Abby said...

Awesome! I LOVE that first cupcake picture. Red Velvet Cake is SO Southern - my sister had it as her wedding cake - but I've never made one myself!

Also ... TAG. (Just a cute little photo fun. Linked to you on my personal blog!)

Lo said...

Gorgeous red velvet cake! I love the presentation.

I'm also a "clean as I go" girl... although there are times! I can just imagine all those little red dots!

Edward Taylor said...

What do you mean your photo skills suck? Your recent ones are stunning! I really, really like your photography style.

Edward Taylor said...

That Edward Taylor comment was from Hilary at Let Her Bake Cake by the way!

Anonymous said...

What a rich red color. I've never tried making red velvet before :)

Anonymous said...

yeah man, the red velvet cake looks so nice. the red and white compliment each other perfectly!

and oh dear, the sinful cream cheese. hahaha

test it comm said...

What an amazing shade of red!

The Food Librarian said...

What great baked yummies! Oh, I feel for you on the Max Speed episode! I've done that before too!! Who knew we needed protective eyewear and clothing just to bake!? :)

Talita said...

What a beautiful bakes! Awesome!