Saturday, March 7, 2009

Snickerdoodle Blondies Peabody style

Sorry (Peabody) my photo isn't the most appetizing! Actually my honey snapped this photo for me using the light box he made me.

I baked these  on one of the nights I was sick as the kids were nagging me to make them something. Remembering that Peabody had recently posted a snickerdoodle blondie recipe and my family's love of snickerdoodle blondies I decided to give her recipe a try.  It helped that with the begging came an offer of help.  (Thank you, Devon, I know Mommy was very grumpy that night!)

DSC01060

I didn't tell the kids that this was a different snickerdoodle blondie recipe.  I wanted to see if they noticed anything different. (I have little foodies in the making and their taste are pretty discriminating.) Julia, good news lady, you won, I'm not sure what you won but  my children,especially Devon think you're a genius.  :-)   I think the biggest difference is the nutmeg that Peabody's recipe calls for.  I didn't get all scientific and I'm certain if you look at the recipes side by side there are others, mascarpone one, but in my humble, know nothing opinion I think that  it was the nutmeg.

I didn't make any changes to the recipe, following it exactly. When I first checked the blondies (5 minutes prior to when the recipe said) they looked done. They had puffed up a bunch and were quite brown but they didn't pass the tooth pick test. Yikes, by the time they were done and still fudgy my blondies were not so blonde.  Fortunately they were still quite good though I had to cut away about an inch in from around the edges.  With all that said there were no complaints and were gobbled up quickly.  It was only during the first stuffing of their mouths that they mentioned something tasted different and asked was I "messing" with the recipe?!  Nope, I wasn't "messing" with the recipe just trying a new one I explained.  No more new ones, we like the old one  was their response. :-)

Technorati Tags: ,,

29 comments:

Heather said...

oh my gosh! i just adore snickerdoodles! nutmeg has to be one of my favorite flavors! these sound so delicious :)

hope you're having a good weekend :)

Reeni said...

These sound so good! Snickerdoodle in a blondie, how scrumptious!

Monica H said...

Discerning palettes your kiddos have. I'm not a fan of nutmeg either.

I have bookmarked the previous recipe though :-)

Donna-FFW said...

Ingrid.. Thanks so much for the tip about the light box.. cu-wel. My kids are like yours, don't mess with what works..

Elyse said...

I thought these were absolutely delicious. Yours look like they turned out great! There's something about a snickerdoodle mixed with a blondie that's just heavenly!

Sara said...

I love the idea of these, I'm a blondie fanatic!

oneordinaryday said...

Okay - first of all - you have a light box?? I want one too! :) I had bookmarked a link with a tutorial to make your own a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Very cool that your hubby made you one!

Second - the blondies sound yummy! I bookmarked the recipe at Peabody since they just look and sound amazing. Do you think you'll go back to your other recipe?

Michelle

Anonymous said...

HAHA! Kids are so cute! How do you like your light box?

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

Ingrid! you never cease to amaze me. You are so funny to have a blind taste test. I have to say that I'm a little relieved that I won the showdown. ;)

I don't get the nutmeg part either. I've never see a recipe for normal Snickerdoodle cookies that call for it, so why put it in the bar form?

Emily said...

YES! These snickerdoodle blondies look so good!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Snickerdoodles in a blondies... oh my such a great idea not to mention how good they must taste!!*slurp*

Rosie x

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVe blondies! I hope you're feeling better!

redmenace said...

Great recipe. Thanks!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Ingrid,

Gisele is really great. My whole design only cost $75! Plus, she's really easy to work with and so sweet. She can take your ideas and make them magical! I totally recommend her!

Bunny said...

I'm not crazy about nutmeg, I'll stick with the recipe you posted. I made a light box too, not real pretty looking cause hubby wasn't home to help and I have no patience but it works!

Anonymous said...

That's so cute that your kids noticed the difference between the recipes. You do have mini-foodies in your house!

grace said...

your picture could be completely absent and i'd still crave your creation. all it takes is the word 'snickerdoodle' and i'm all for it. :)

Maria said...

Snickerdoodle blondies sound heavenly. I will have to try both recipes!!

Jodi said...

I don't know if I missed your Snickerdoodle Blondie recipe the first time around or not, but they sound delicious. I copied the recipe just to make sure I have it. Can't hurt to have it twice!!!

BTW, I'm having a giveaway in a few days so look for that!

angie said...

Looks good! I love that you're raising little foodies!

I keep my lightbox in my closet. The other day, I was getting something off the top shelf and something else fell right through the paper! It was almost funny.

Pam said...

My very favorite cookie is a snickerdoodle so I know I would love these blondies.

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth said...

Those look great. When the edges get a little crisp like that, that's when I like to dip them in milk before eating them! Yum!

Esi said...

Sounds like your kids do indeed have discerning tastes :)

A_and_N said...

Wow the blondie looks delightful! I loved the M&M adorned brownies too :) I was wondering if you photographed it inside the light box too. It is a really cool idea indeed!

Ann said...

So many blondies all over the place lately, I LOVE love LOVE it!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Lucky! I want a light box! Tell your man he can make one for me too ;D

I'm not sure what happened with your cooked flour frosting. I've only made it once, so I dunno what could've gone wrong. I do remember boiling mine for a veeerrrryyy long time though. It was SO thick by the time I put it in the fridge. I know with SMBC, when it gets curdled-looking it usually helps to beat it on high speed until it comes back together. I wonder if that would work with the flour frosting too...??

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to make these. They sound delicious.

Steph said...

I've never had blondies before, but if I were to try one, I think I would start off with snickerdoodle ones first

Smitten Sugar said...

how cute your kids noticed the difference! Julia's are my favorite too! I made them 3 times in one weekend!