Thursday, March 5, 2009

M & M Overload for Valentine's Day

I read  A LOT of blogs and always enjoy the story that's posted with the recipe but for some reason I can never think of anything interesting about my life that goes with the recipe I'm blogging about.  You would think I had a plethora of stories considering I have three children.  They should keep me in funny stories until they're grown and out of the house but no, nothing ever comes to mind.  So here I am again scratching my head for something to say.

DSC01048

I made these brownies on the night of 12th for Babygirl's class.  They were celebrating Valentine's on Friday the 13th.  Hmmm, I didn't realize what day it was until I just typed it.  The night I made these Devon and I had just finished up the last of his two projects. It was after a 11 and  I realized that I still hadn't made anything for Babygirl's class.  Into the pantry I went and out came the " buy one get one free" box of brownie mix. (love 'em)  Yes, I've made brownies from scratch but the truth? I never just make the box version, they are always souped up and no one has ever said "hey, these came out of box." so I see no point in stressing myself with homemade if the recipe doesn't call for it.  These aren't a recipe but more an idea from various blogs that I visit. (Sorry a month later, I don't remember.  Feel free to remind me.)

Here's what I did....followed DSC01056the box directions(that was hard!), added a heaping hand full of M&Ms to the batter, and baked as directed. The following morning I drizzled white Wilton's candy melts over the brownies and topped it with M&M's while still wet. I  pushed the M&M's gently into the "chocolate" and then drizzled the brownies again this time with pink Wilton's candy melts. I sprinkled the top with the last  of the M&M's and I was done, all that was left was to bag 'em up!

I didn't taste them but from what Babygirl said they were a hit and her classmates were happy she didn't come to class empty handed.  I have to tell you that she's getting a rep for bringing in treats on special occasions.  Her little friends are giving her(me) special requests. A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned to Joe who was packing her lunch that I had baked some ???? and that to put one in Babygirl's lunch.  He said that he had but that she said she didn't want to take it because she's tired of her classmates asking her what her mom made and if she wanted to trade.  LOL! 

Technorati Tags: ,,

34 comments:

angie said...

Those are really pretty and I can seriously taste them just by looking at them!

I know I probably say this about everything you make, but I'm going to have to make this soon!

Jodi said...

What a pretty treat! I think that's awesome that all the kids want YOUR treats!

Donna-FFW said...

They look so pretty, Ingrid. Your daughter is lucky to have a MOM like you!! Always nice when your cooking is in demand!! Yes?

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look fabulous!

And I am not dragging Twirl out. If you want, I can always pull it until it's done...and you'd have to wait months and months....:)

oneordinaryday said...

Okay, Ingrid, I am such a nerd that the first comment I'm going to make is that I love that you said "plethora!" It's one of my favorite words!! LOL
Second - holy cow on the brownies. My daughter would be in her glory to have brownies so packed with m&ms - her two favorite foods. :)
(Funny story too! Claudia's preschool teachers are like that when she takes a snack in. LOL)
Michelle
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/

Risa said...

I definitely agree with you about using a boxed brownie mix from time to time, I was actually thinking about making a very similar recipe to this to use up some green M&M's.

Sara said...

Those brownies look super delicious. Really, I think M&Ms make a great addition to most baked goods. In fact, my favorite cookies are sugar cookies with M&Ms in them.

Elyse said...

Mmm, those brownies look great! Lucky class!!

Pam said...

My very favorite candy is m&m's. These brownies look amazing!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Aww that's gotta make you feel good to know that her friends always wanna trade with her because of what you make!! :) :)

CM said...

I would've happily traded my milk money for one of these!! Just wanted to let you know I'm passing on an award to you because I've found your blog to be inspiring- I mean, I had homemade cake this past weekend because of you!! And aside from that, I'm constantly amazed at how many different bars you come up with.
Swing by to pick up your award, and thanks for all of the hard work you put into this lil' blog!

Emily said...

These look fantastic! I love how pretty the M&M's look.

Anonymous said...

Those look so good & so pretty!

Reeni said...

Those look real good! I love m&m's in brownies and cookies. How funny-about them asking what her Mom made! You should go into business!!

Lo said...

Oh, wow. Those look fantastic. I love the flavor combo -- and they're so... pretty!

Shari said...

Wow, I bet they were a hit!! Very kid friendly!

Anonymous said...

I think your posts are always plenty entertaining.
What a great idea for a special treat! Love this recipe.

Heather said...

they're so colorful and pretty! i love them! i think the pink m&ms taste better than the other ones...

Selba said...

So cute!!!

You know what? I think if I'm your daughter classmates, I also would ask for a trade, hehehe...

Bridget said...

That's funny about the trading!

The brownies look wonderful & so festive! I think I have some Easter M & M's somewhere!

Monica H said...

Trading for the good stuff- that's hilarious!

jesse said...

Hahaha, aww, trading at school... how I miss those days! Those brownies look fabulous, and I'm with you on this one... most people I've offered my kicked up brownies to can't tell that the base came out of a box mix. Best kept secret ever!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Beautiful brownies and I bet they were such a hit with thise M&M's!!

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Wow, very festive! :)

Anonymous said...

Valentine's M&Ms are my favorite for baking (you know, 'cause they're pink, and all.) I stock up after Valentine's Day!
I think these brownies epitomize Valentine's day- pink, girly, chocolatey and decadent!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

These Brownies are terrific! What a scrumptious treat!

Cheers,

Rosa

Maria said...

I love M and M's...you can never have an overload..ha! The treats look great!

grace said...

i don't think i could ever overload on m&ms. :)
awesome brownies, ingrid!

test it comm said...

Those look decadent and good!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

An M&M overload it's allways a good overload!

Jin Hooi said...

haha.. all ur babygirl's friends must be really envy that she has a cool mum that bake very well ;-)) well done Ingrid !!

avesta said...

these look so pretty and yummy! good way of using up all my extra V-Day M&Ms!

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

look like one tasty sweet treat!

UPrinting said...

From the way those brownies look, they are perfect for kids' birthday parties. The M&M's is a sure hit to them so they'd really like this recipe. Thanks for sharing. :D