Sunday, March 15, 2009

It's not about the cake but the frosting!

This is all about the frosting and this frosting is too  good to not pass  along.  Some of you may be like, duh, Ingrid where have you been and others, hopefully one, will be like, hey, thanks!  :-) I found this  caramel frosting recipe on Erin's Food Files.  (Check out her candy coated marshmallow heart pops.)

r2

I had a layer of banana cake in the freezer that needed to be used from when I made this cake.  When I froze that sucker and even before tasting it I knew I wanted something caramel-y. 

Don't make the cake but do make the frosting. It was actually pretty easy and just a little time consuming.  You make your own caramel sauce (yay,me) and use it in the frosting which is a cream cheese buttercream concoction.  Did I mention it's goooood? No? I'm talking GOOD!  I thought I didn't like caramel growing up then I started blogging and realized, oh, what I don't like is that yuckiness they put into jars and label caramel sauce.  After making my own it's been confirmed I LOVE homemade caramel sauce and Julia, you're right this is even better than those caramels you unwrap and melt down with cream or whatever.  I know better now.

DSC01140I  "frosted" the middle layer with caramel sauce then once it set up I added the caramel cream cheese buttercream. For top I  drizzled caramel sauce on it.  Everyone who had a slice only talked about the frosting an even my nonfrosting loving son said that it was great.  Yeah, make the frosting forget the cake!

On a side note I just finished the book Emma & Me by Elizabeth Flock.  I really enjoyed it.  Lately I haven't had much luck at the book store.  I can't seem to find anything that makes me want to stop what I'm doing and read!  Emma & Me was really good and I didn't even guess the end until the end which I really liked.  It's tiresome when midway through a book and you already have it all worked out.  I'm moving on to Wally Lamb's  She Comes Undone my friend, Wendy suggested it to me. Anybody else read it? Recommend it? Or anything else? 

Okay, just one more thing.  A few people have asked where did I purchase my cake stand.  I purchased it at Target on clearance for 5 or 6 dollars. 

That first photo is courtesy of Miss Karolyn.

33 comments:

Reeni said...

The frosting looks so yummy! I love that it is thicker than the cake! I've read She's Come Undone, twice! I loved it.

Elyse said...

Frosting is my favorite! I could eat good frosting by the spoonful...and I could definitely eat this cream cheese buttercream frosting by the spoonful! Caramel frosting sounds absolutely delicious--and you're so right: homemade caramel is just wonderful! Great post!

Risa said...

This frosting looks amazing! I am very impressed with your caramel. I tried making homemade caramel one night and ended up burning 8 cups worth of sugar!

Bunny said...

The frosting sounds like a dream Ingrid, I'm going to bookmark it for later use!

Heather said...

ohhh. that caramel looks so decadent and delicious! i'm so afraid of homemade caramel. i need to get up my nerve to try it!

Donna-FFW said...

Yay for you is right!!Your own caramel sauce.. wow, and based on your raves, I have GOTto make a cake JUST tomake this frosting. Cant wait to try it!!

Monica H said...

ha! don't make the cake, just he frosting...lol. You're my kind of girl :-)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

It looks delicious! I love frosting! Nice caramel sauce...

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

mmm caramel! Great minds really must think alike! :) I like the idea of making a buttercream/cream cheese mixture for icing. yum

Emily said...

Yum yum! This cake looks amazing! I love all of those flavors together.

The Blonde Duck said...

The only reason I eat cake is for the frosting. And I would definitely eat this frosting.

oneordinaryday said...

That is definitely one thick layer of frosting. I'm going to bookmark the frosting recipe and give it a try soon.
Thanks and great job!
Michelle

A_and_N said...

Thats a really cool frosting! I've gotta give this a try. I hope I can scale down the recipe though because I dont think I'll be baking a big cake :)

Bridget said...

I know...it IS all about the frosting, isn't it?!? Cake is just the vehicle!

Cristine said...

YES! Now I have permission to make frosting and just eat it with a spoon! ;) It looks fantastic and, with your review, I'm going to have to make it!

Maria said...

Wow, that frosting is amazing!! Nice job! I read Emma and Me. I had no clue until the end! Have you read The School of Essential Ingredients? I just finished that one and loved it! I am going to start The Way Life Should be, have you read that?

CM said...

We should have put this on the red velvet!!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh that frosting looks amazing!! I'm with Bridget the cake is just the vehicle!

Anonymous said...

The frosting does look wonderful. And the homemade caramel sauce looks delicious. Always a good thing.

Pam said...

I love cake, but the frosting does look delicious.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

You know what... I see those cake stands at Ross ALL the time! And I usually think "Oh those are so pretty, but I don't really need one." WHY HAVE I BEEN THINKING THAT? I must be crazy, because all I have are those plastic cake-takers! Nothing pretty to display my cakes on! :( I'm going cake stand shopping this weekend. I'll let you know what I find! ;)

angie said...

Since I actually like the jarred caramel stuff, then I bet I would LOVE this even more!

I've read She's Come Undone and liked it. Funny, I can't remember the ending. Just all the things that kept happening to her.

Right now, I'm reading Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen. So far, so good.

Jodi said...

The frosting looks great! I haven't read Emma and Me. Would love if you did a book review! :) I just started The Shack, but haven't got very far...only because it's hard to read a book around here! But so far it's really good!

grace said...

my thoughts exactly! i'm always more about the frosting than the cake, and this one is LOVELY!

Maria said...

I posted snickerdoodle blondies today and linked back to you! Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally a frosting fan- I mean, cake is good, but frosting is heaven. I love frosting so much, that a bad one can totally ruin a cake for me.

Isn't homemade caramel sauce the best?

Sandie said...

Funny, in my middle age, I typically prefer the cake to the frosting (was the opposite in my youth). That said, I believe you have convinced me to try this frosting---it sounds delicious!

Lori said...

Bridget said exactly what I was going to say. And dont you just hate people that throw their frosting away. I wish I had that kind of self control.

Anonymous said...

caramel frosting! sounds yummy, u tried using salted caramel before? and omg, the cake stand is so cheap. haha

ErinsFoodFiles said...

...drool... I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I know I freaking loved it! Man... I need a reason to make it again! I think this frosting really wins over non-frosting fans because the salted caramel really cuts the sweetness. You decorated cake looks better than mine. I would bet you didn't put it in a car and drove 5 hours before taking a picture of it! ha ha!

eatme_delicious said...

Oh wow that icing looks insanely delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Woah, that does look like some killer frosting! I think you could put that on just about anything and it would be delicious. :)

pookiepantry said...

'she's come undone' is a great book and so are the others by wally lamb - 'i know this much is true' (my favorite book ever) and 'the hour i first believed'