Friday, April 24, 2009

Monkey Bread Muffins

A couple of weeks ago Maria from Two Peas and Their Pod made these muffins for her hubby and if you remember this post you're not surprised I had to give these a try.  These were (are!) sooooo good.  Yes, they use *gasp* refrigerated dough but you know what?  I'm totally okay with that.  (sorry Maria :)) 

DSC01466

I've eaten and made monkey bread many times and used various recipes but this is my new favorite!  It probably has something to do with the fact that each muffins is covered in a generous amount of yummy caramel.  :) I also like the individual servings, mini monkey bread! 

DSC01470

Here's Maria's recipe .  I made my muffins a little different and have noted it in (red).

Monkey Bread Muffins

4 cans of refrigerated biscuits, I used Pillsbury (I only used 1 ten count can. You could certainly use homemade biscuit dough or whatever brand/type you want.)

Cinnamon (be generous, cinnamon is your friend)

Sugar (I have a cinnamon sugar shaker so I used it)

1 stick of butter (I used salted)

1 cup of brown sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. (Be sure to spray the top of the muffin pan as the caramel mixture bubbles up and over.)

2. Cut the biscuits in half and roll the dough into little balls. (I cut mine into quarters and didn't roll them)

3. Combine the cinnamon and sugar. I use extra cinnamon:) Roll the balls in the mixture.  (I tossed the dough into a bowl and generously sprinkled cinnamon sugar over it.  Toss well to make certain the dough is adequately covered with the cinnamon sugar.)

4. Place four balls in one muffin cup. Fill the pan.  (In all but three of the muffins before placing the dough I added some chopped pecans and then filled the cup with four pieces of dough.)

5. Melt the butter and brown sugar in a small pot on the stove. Stir until melted and bubbly.  (You could use a different "caramel" recipe, store bought, or melt down those caramel candies (sorry, Julia) but I suggest just using this one; works fine, taste good!)

6. Pour the gooey sauce over the muffins. (I made the whole caramel recipe yet only made 10 muffins so, I saved a little bit for another use.  I also topped the dough that had pecans on the bottom with more pecans.  Besides the pecans you could add in chocolate chips or in my case cinnamon ones. )

7. Bake for 10-12 minutes. (I checked mine at 10 but they weren't done.  Though I did notice that some of the caramel mixture was precariously close to bubbling over the pan's edge and onto my oven floor so I hurriedly put the muffin pan onto a cookie sheet and baked for about 5 more minutes.)

8. Cool for a minute in pan. Remove muffins from pan and enjoy. (With my one can of biscuits I made 10 muffins which was perfect for my family of five but you could certainly use a smaller can of biscuits or as many cans as you'd like.  Just adjust the recipe accordingly.  This recipe is very forgiving!)

**If you don't want to make muffins, you can do a big monkey bread loaf in a bundt pan. Just layer the balls and pour the gooey sauce over them. It will take longer to bake, 35-40 minutes.**

DSC01473

Joe thinks everything is better with vanilla ice cream so he added some to his muffin.  Speaking of ice cream..... I've got a mega ice cream post I'm working on.  Stay tuned!  :)

Awhile back I made Maria's cinnamon syrup but unfortunately I didn't get any photos.  I kept thinking I'd make another batch and take some pics but it hasn't happened. I made the syrup for the kids to top their school morning Eggo waffles.  It was a hit and a nice change from their Hungry Jack syrup.  The recipe doesn't say but it will keep in the fridge for about a week.

Answer this question and enter my two book giveaway!

36 comments:

Eliana said...

I've never had monkey bread. This looks so yummy. and I too think everything tastes better with vanilla ice cream.

Noodlegirl said...

Great I am about to go to spin class soon but decided to read your post oh my now in class I am going to think of Monkey Bread Muffins!!!!

Christy said...

Looks delicious!! Can't wait to read your ice cream post...I've been craving more home made ice cream!!

oneordinaryday said...

Great minds, I guess.
I just made what we called a "monkey pie." :)
I was wondering what you'd been up to. Now I know!
Michelle

Jodi said...

You and I read some of the same blogs! I saw this on Maria's blog too and thought they sounded good. Yours look perfect! I definitely think I'd be more likely to make the muffin version rather than a full pan of monkey bread.

I know you love Snickerdoodles, so now I'm wondering if you just love anything with cinnamon in it! :)

Have a great weekend!

Maria said...

I am glad you enjoyed them, refrigerated biscuits and all:) they are my hubs fav! And I LOVE that cinnamon syrup, perfect for weekend breakfast treats! Thanks for the shout out! You are the best!

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE that!

Risa said...

You can bet I will be one of the next people to make these. They look great!

Cristine said...

Those look so yummy!!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That looks incredibly scrumptious! Mmmmhhhhhh!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. Now I'm craving monkey bread. It sounds delicious!

Monica H said...

I have a recipe from Paula Deen that is titled Blueberry Coffee cake, but it's essentially monkey bread with blueberries baked in a caserole. I made them into mini bundts one time and they were such a mess, I think the blueberries added too much moisture, but they were good!

Your look great too! So cinnamony!

Bunny said...

I am makin this Ingrid, the individual monkey bread is so much better than making in a bundt pan. And you can customize each one if you want to!! THANK YOU INGRID!!!

Bunny said...

Just had a thought Ingrid, smores monkey bread...I bet you could make a it!!

teresa said...

Oh YUM! I'm going to have to give these a try for sure. And I'm excited to hear how you like the pulled pork!

Kerstin said...

Yum - monkey bread is the best and these are SO cute!

Reeni said...

I've always wanted to make Monkey Bread-these look like a yummy treat! I love extra cinnamon!

Elyse said...

Ingrid, these look amazing! I think I'm going to have to make these for breakfast tomorrow. Talk about an enticing treat. The danger, of course, is that I'll eat the whole tray of muffins :)

Steph said...

I think I need to make monkey bread! It looks like a lot of fun to eat.

Maris said...

I too, saw these on Maria's blog and thought they sounded delish! I love monkey bread and could certainly use the portion control :)

Pam said...

Oh my - these look divine. I would eat WAY too many of these beauties!

Sara said...

All I can say is wow - the ice cream really takes them over the top! They look quite simple to make too, which is always a plus.

grace said...

nothing wrong with these, ingrid, not at all. i liked maria's version, and yours is awesome too. i think i need a cinnamon sugar shaker. :)

Pearl said...

oh my gosh - yours turned out great! :)

Heather said...

i totally have to make these! my husband would love them.

Donna-FFW said...

Great idea to make these individually. They sound wonderful. I have never made this before..

Unknown said...

Oh...I may have to make these for breakfast. I grew up eating monkey bread. I don't have any canned biscuits on hand (ha, ha), so good to know I can use homemade.

Michelle said...

OH myyyy goodness! These look to die for! I used to always eat monkey bread as a kidd

test it comm said...

I have been wanting to try monkey bread and a muffin version sounds really good as well!

A_and_N said...

My goodness! that looks so moist and ready to explode in my mouth! Never tried monkey bread before but I am not sure if I can wait any longer :)

Stephanie said...

WOOO Lordy lordy, this is a great idea, I love individual sized things! (especially when cinnamon sugar is involved - because i don't have to share!

Robin said...

I am looking at this and wondering why anyone didn't come up with this sooner. This is amazing and probably so much easier to eat then the huge big one I usually make. Plus everyone loves their own!

Lori said...

Oh, the decadence. You're killing me. I come to your site and all I do is drool, drool, drool. Bars, cookies, buns (of sugar not steel).

Jaime said...

YUM. nothing wrong w/using refrigerated dough!

Abby said...

Brad would flip. out. over these. He loves anything made of bread, and adding sugar to it is like gilding the lily. This has to be tried!

Memória said...

OH! I plan to make these soon with the leftover bread dough I made the other day. YUM!