Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tropical Pound Cake

DSC00920 Last week one of the Twins asked if I could make him something to pack in his lunch along with his sandwich.  Yes, of course I can.  I didn't bother to ask him what he would like as I already knew, Snickerdoodle Blondies (thanks, Julia!) would be his response.  I instead told him that I would surprise him.  As it happens earlier in the day I had seen photos of a yummy Pineapple Bundt Cake w/Lemon Drizzle on The Crepes of Wrath.  The moment I saw the photos and read through the ingredients I thought tropical....I could replace all the lemon with coconut and add some macadamia nuts making it more of a tropical flavored cake.  With that in mind and the request in hand I knew what I would make.

Here are my changes to the recipe

  • I replaced all of the lemon extract with coconut extract. 
  • Instead of using regular milk in the drizzle I used coconut milk.

Here's what I will do next time.

  • I will add some shredded coconut to the batter. (and see what happens)
  • I will sprinkle some toasted macadamia nuts to the top after drizzling the cake. (I would have this time but the nuts I had stored in the fridge were not looking good.)

DSC00912 The kids were pleased with the cake as it was a change from the flavors of Christmas. Their sitter who doesn't even like  pineapple ate a few pieces.  She said she didn't realize their was pineapple in it.  I really liked the cake but the best part was the smell of the coconut drizzle!  It was  heavenly!  The cake itself  very moist and the flavors developed more after a day or so. I also thought the cake was more along the lines of a pound cake.  It had a tighter, dense crumb.

LiveJournal Tags: ,,
Post a Comment