Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tropical Pound Cake

DSC00920 Last week one of the Twins asked if I could make him something to pack in his lunch along with his sandwich.  Yes, of course I can.  I didn't bother to ask him what he would like as I already knew, Snickerdoodle Blondies (thanks, Julia!) would be his response.  I instead told him that I would surprise him.  As it happens earlier in the day I had seen photos of a yummy Pineapple Bundt Cake w/Lemon Drizzle on The Crepes of Wrath.  The moment I saw the photos and read through the ingredients I thought tropical....I could replace all the lemon with coconut and add some macadamia nuts making it more of a tropical flavored cake.  With that in mind and the request in hand I knew what I would make.

Here are my changes to the recipe

  • I replaced all of the lemon extract with coconut extract. 
  • Instead of using regular milk in the drizzle I used coconut milk.

Here's what I will do next time.

  • I will add some shredded coconut to the batter. (and see what happens)
  • I will sprinkle some toasted macadamia nuts to the top after drizzling the cake. (I would have this time but the nuts I had stored in the fridge were not looking good.)

DSC00912 The kids were pleased with the cake as it was a change from the flavors of Christmas. Their sitter who doesn't even like  pineapple ate a few pieces.  She said she didn't realize their was pineapple in it.  I really liked the cake but the best part was the smell of the coconut drizzle!  It was  heavenly!  The cake itself  very moist and the flavors developed more after a day or so. I also thought the cake was more along the lines of a pound cake.  It had a tighter, dense crumb.

LiveJournal Tags: ,,

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is like a dream come true for me! All my favorite foods and flavors!!

The Snickerdoodle Blondies sound so good....I have added Julia to my blog roll and saved the recipe. I absolutely love blondies and I love snickerdoodles:-)

Cake is my favorite dessert and my favorite cake flavors are lemon or anything with coconut and pineapple. SO either the original recipe or your tropical version would be delicious for me!!

Thanks for sharing these goodies...you can be sure I will be making both of these VERY soon!

The Food Librarian said...

Looks so lovely! I'd please like a slice! :)

Jodi said...

That looks so delicious and moist. I'm curious how you'll like the coconut and macadamia nuts (next time) because those are two of my favorite things!

Reeni said...

So tender and moist! I'd love to find this in my lunchbox! YUM!!!

Nicole said...

Wow! can you adopt me?? :)
I'll go back to school & everything just so I can find that in my lunch!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great and looks awesome. I love the subsitutes, such as coconut milk for milk regular milk. Great idea.

Femin Susan said...

unless these are made I don't think my tongue will sit without watering.thanks for sharing.
Keep posting......

Bunny said...

I'm making the blondies tomorrow, I can't wait to try them, this cake is going to be made too!! You find the best recipes Ingrid!!

Cristine said...

Mmmmm! I'll be bookmarking this! :)

RecipeGirl said...

This looks terrific. I'm excited to try out a pound cake for lunch snacks. I'd like to package them into slices and throw them in the freezer!

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks yummy, Haven't made coconut cake before but that looks fantastic:-)
X M

grace said...

more coconut and macadamia nuts would make this already fabulous cake even better. seriously. glorious. :)

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

Oh boy... this cake looks soooo good. I LOVE the idea of the tropical flavors all together. And kudos to you for experimenting! You go girl!

angie said...

Looks really good. I had to back and check out those snickerdoodle blondies - I'll definitely be making those in the future!

Anonymous said...

This bundt cake looks great! Love coconut! And I guess I better pull up that blondie recipe too. Hmmm, chocolate chips with coconut?

And gotta replace the baseball with rugby. Been watching it here on French tv every weekend.

The Blonde Duck said...

It sounds fabulous! Let them eat cake, indeed!

Donna-FFW said...

Looks delicious. Id like a slice with my coffee right now please. Awesome combo!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Ohhh dang! I just ate lunch and I'm so freakin full, but this is for real making me drool. How do you do it???? :D

Selba said...

Looking at the texture, it looks moist... must be really yummy.

Heather said...

ohhh. that sounds so coconutty and delicious!!! i love that you used coconut milk!

Maria said...

The cake looks heavenly!

Pam said...

You are killing me. This is my ideal cake - anything with coconut makes me happy.

CM said...

Yummy!! This looks so good I could lick the drizzle right off the screen. I absolutely love pineapple and coconut separately or together in anything.
I have yet to try the infamous snickerdoodle blondies- maybe this weekend :)

Hayley said...

Those pictures are incredible. The cake looks so moist, what lucky boys of yours. Thanks for sharing!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

The question is where do I not find time... Time is all I have right now! I quit my job in December, and now it's impossible to find a bakery that's hiring. :(

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth said...

This looks fantastic. It's been a while since I have had time to catch up on my favorite blogs and you have so many yummy things going on! It all looks great!

Anonymous said...

This looks so fabulous and moist! Kyle has a bias against bundt cakes (he thinks they're "boring grandma cakes") but I think this one would change his mind about them! :)

Abby said...

That picture is proof to me that the texture of your cake was perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hey. Mama! No DBC this month? Regardless, this cake looks so moist and luscious, so I must try it soon! BTW, happy with the Yankee's off season moves? Love the CC and Texiera signing, but HATE the Burnett signing! That said, wouldn't mind uhh..Manny, even though he's a jerk. The man can hit AND hit in the clutch, unlike you know who!

Anonymous said...

Tropical flavors sound like they would be a refreshing change of pace to brighten up this grey winter. Yum!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Must have a very nice fresh taste!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Thank you everyone for stopping by and leaving all the thoughtful comments!
~ingrid

Rachel said...

Mmm, that sounds so good. It's weird to say that a pound cake could sound like a refreshing dessert, but that's how I imagine pineapple. I do love coconut too!

Anonymous said...

The coconut sounds amazing! I'll definitely have to do that next time!

Monica H said...

This looks so incredibly moist. i wish I could taste and smell the coconut glaze now!