Saturday, January 10, 2009

New Year's Eve goodies

I volunteered to make desserts for a New Year's Eve party we were attending at a neighbor's house.  For me that was rather daring as I'm very leery about making anything to bring to an adult function.  I have found that adults are much more critical and down right picky.  On the other hand I LOOOOOVE baking for my children, their friends and teammates.  Everything I bake for them is always well received and if someone doesn't like something (rare) they are always very polite when telling me so!  By the end of the night everything was gobbled up which I'll take as a sign of success!

The first dessert I made was one the White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Bars which I blogged about earlier this week. 

DSC00838

The next dessert I made was one I found over on My Baking Addiction.  Jamie made her Chocolate Toffee Trifle in stemless wine glasses which I thought would translate well into minis. I figured after eating and drinking so much no one would have room for a full sized dessert.  Also if everything was bite sized it would be easier for everyone to try a bite of all three desserts with limited waste.  My minis were good in theory but in practice, I was beat and didn't have the patience to pipe everything into my shot glasses.  Instead they got the trifle in a large trifle bowl...self serve style!

DSC00837

Have I admitted to not really liking "plain" brownies or chocolate pudding? Have I also mentioned that for me cool whip and toffee are just okay BUT in this dessert something magical happens with these ingredients!  I couldn't get enough (didn't want to look like a piggy) of it.  I loved the the various textures and the taste of everything combined!

DSC00836

The last dessert I made was one I found on the inside of the wrapper of Ghirardelli's white chocolate bars.  On the wrapper it was called Ghirardelli Classic White Blondies. I found the recipe online under the name Classic Blondies.  Which ever name you chose to call it by it was very good and was the first to go.  (I think it helped that you didn't need any serving utensils, plate, or napkin!) It's texture was more cakey than fudgey (sp?) but not overly so as I have found that I don't care for cakey blondies or brownies.  I didn't make any changes to the recipe other than baking mine in a 11x7 inch pan.  I also lined it with nonstick foil before greasing it.

DSC00833

Here's a photo of the three desserts displayed in all their glory (ha-ha)!  The food wasn't  set out yet  so the table looks kinda bland but once they placed the food, the table looked very nice.

DSC00839

12 comments:

Bunny said...

Each one of these desserts is terrific Ingrid! The trifle looks so good!! I've never made one, I think this one would be a good one to start with!! WOW!!!

Nicole said...

Everything looks soo good! I wish I had been invited!! :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Ugh I wish I didn't have to share dessert duty with the other ladies in my family. I wish I could do this and be the one making all the desserts! Nice job! :)

Reeni said...

They are all scrumptious!! The trifle is gorgeous. I'm a sucker for anything to do with white chocolate. It is my favorite! White chocolate and raspberry is the best combo!

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

Wow, nice work! What lucky neighbors!

grace said...

i have no doubt that these treats were devoured, regardless of the ages of the intended eaters. lady, you have nothing to be afraid of!!

The Blonde Duck said...

They look great to me! Ben and I are weird because we prefer "kid food" and simple food to fancy "adult food!"

avesta said...

These all look great! You're a wonderful guest to invite!!!

Honeyed Hashette said...

I want a nice glass trifle dish so I can make beautiful desserts like that. So pretty! Everything else looks awesome too. :)

Anonymous said...

These all look great! You're a wonderful guest to invite!!!

Lynn said...

This is my first time visiting. Everything on your blog looks absolutely wonderful, but that chocolate toffee trifle looks out of this world. Thanks for the wonderful, mouth-watering ideas :)

Unknown said...

i love the trifle bowl! i know it's plain, but i've been looking for a good one for a while now.. nothing has caught my eye so far. :( everything looks delicious!