Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cheater Snicker Brownies

DSC00898 Yup, I did it again I cheated and used a boxed brownie mix.  Yes, they probably would have tasted a bit better if I had made the brownies by scratch AND a whole lot better if I  had made homemade caramel sauce but I needed a quick something for the Twins to take to baseball practice this is what I came up with.  I'll be honest I was initially going to make Dianne's Peanut Butter Mousse Bars but I ran out of time as I had already made another dessert, a tropical pound cake (a la The Crepes of Wrath).  That one was for the kids could take to school for lunch. 

It starts with one box of brownie mix whichever you prefer.  Follow the directions as written on the back.  Once poured into the pan I topped it with chopped up pieces of snickers bars.  I then baked it as called for on the box.  Once the brownies were baked I noticed that the snicker pieces had sunk and left (interesting) holes in my brownies so I chopped up more snickers bars to plop in the holes once the brownies had cooled completely.  After filling the holes I nuked some caramel bits with cream and drizzled it over the brownies.  I also melted some semisweet chocolate chips and shortening and drizzled it over the brownies.  (I'd love to give you exact numbers but it was after 11:30 & I was TIRED so I kinda winged it) 

DSC00904

I personally didn't care for the brownies  but the Twins, their teammates, and the other parents ate them up without complaint so I'll take that as they were at least edible.  Actually there wasn't even a piece of fallen off snickers bar left in the pan. The butterscotch marshmallow brownies with butterscotch ganache was waaaaaaaaaaaay better.  As a matter of fact I made them again last night.

*On a non-baking note

Baseball season kicks off this weekend for the Twins.....GO STING!  They have moved up to the "big" fields.  Should be fun, wish us luck!  

Can I take a moment to brag a bit on one of the twins?  Devon is receiving an academic award from Mid Florida Pop Warner on the 28th of Feb.   At that time he'll find out if he's also been selected to receive a scholarship!  (I don't know all the details.) It's not going to pay for school but I'm thinking maybe books?! Still that's not too bad for 12 yrs old! (Jalen, I  LOVE and am proud of you as well!  You just don't play football! { I have to say this otherwise the one thinks I favor the other one which means I love one twin more than the other one. To answer you question, yes!})

I also wanted let you know that I've been reading a terrific book called The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan.  The book is both touching and funny.  I definitely suggest reading  it if you haven't.  I've also found quite a few clips of Kelly reading excerpts from the book.  I guarantee it will have you laughing out loud and tearing up!

16 comments:

Heather said...

i use boxed mix a lot. frequently, i just like it more! it's super tasty!

angie said...

I like boxed mixes too, but wow, the choices are overwhelming! I just want plain ol' chocolate! Brownies look delish - anything with Snickers has got to be good.

I was just talking about brownies today, too. A girl at work has to bring a dessert to a chili supper. There's supposed to be 80 people there. Brownies seem pretty easy to portion out and since some can be pretty rich, it's ok that the portions can be small.

I like how you talked about the "3B's" all in one post!

(Ok, I'm done taking up space now!)

Jodi said...

The brownies look yummy! You made them look pretty too! Congrats to your little boy on the academic award. And it's always okay to brag, especially on your own blog! :) I'm going to email you soon, so be on the lookout!!!

Nicole said...

Those look soo good. & I don't even like snickers.

& Go Devon!

Donna-FFW said...

These brownies look perfect. I use box mixes at times too. Especially cake ones. My children would be insane for these with the snickers!! I admit.. me too.

Anonymous said...

I can't decide if I actually think boxed brownie mix is better! I have made them from scratch and don't think it makes them all that much tastier. But then....I am not really a brownie person!

My youngest is a baseball player...he is chomping at the bit for the season to start here! Tryouts are next month and then practice starts in March :-) It seems like we don't have too much time between Fall Baseball and Sring Baseball anymore! All I know is I better get my butt toughened up for sitting in bleachers again...hahahahaha

Congrats to your son!!!!

Anonymous said...

Brownies look great! The last ones I had at your house were awsome!I'm sure so are these!

Go Devon!

Risa said...

I am not a huge snickers fan, but those butterscotch marshmallow brownies sound amazing!

The Blonde Duck said...

I am a proud user of boxed mixes. And tubs of cookie dough.

Reeni said...

I think the brownies look good! You can't go wrong with candy bars and brownies. Yay! for both of your sons!! I love hearing a proud mommy bragging!

Anonymous said...

Ingrid, I am reading the same book! Congrats on the kids. The picture is great. I am always impressed when a "brown food" picture comes out good. Yours sure did. Yummy yum yum. N

grace said...

baseball already? wow, that's exciting!
also exciting? these brownies. they're so decadent, no one should consider them a cheat. :)

Tracy said...

I can totally relate about the box mixes. They're so convenient and when you add candy bars, you just can't go wrong! They look great!

Anonymous said...

The brownies are very gooey and decadent looking... I can see why the pan got licked clean!

cindy* said...

you are allowed to take shortcuts...especially with kids (and twins no less)! these look absolutely decadent.

UPrinting said...

I did feel cheated. All the while, I thought these are "genuine" Snickers brownies.
Well, you certainly fooled us into thinking that way, because it really looks like a genuine Snickers brownies, and not boxed ones. :D