Monday, October 20, 2008

Oops, my bad!

I don't remember when exactly but a week or so ago I saw DSC00570on the Recipe Girl's blog these drool-licious photos of Dulce de Leche Apple Bars with Browned Butter Icing!  Now what out of that name doesn't sound yummy?!  No brainer, right?! 
While I like apples I prefer them raw.  I won't turn down a slice of apple pie but it does head the top of my "to make" list so you can imagine how good these looked.  What drew me in was the browned butter icing dripping down slices of her bars and the swirled in dulce de leche.  I had never had dulce de leche before and thought what better way to try it!  Now if you've followed my link and hopped over to check out her photos you might notice a bit of a difference.  I followed her recipe and everything went well until the buzzer dinged and I pulled them out TOO SOON.  I kinda knew it too, but it was 11:30, I had just finished wiping down Devon's pads and helmet, we had to be out the door by 8:20 the next morning, and  I was just so tired!  I figured they would just be on the "moist" side.  Oops, they were moist all right.  Too moist! I salvaged all the pieces along the edge and tossed the undercooked middle over some ice cream.  DSC00557(YUM!)  Because the bars were so moist I passed on the icing (bummer) and instead just sprinkled a little powdered sugar over them .  The bars were very good and my children  liked them.  Babygirl wasn't fond of the apple chunks in them (didn't stop her from having 2 pieces) but she LOVED the dulce de leche.  As a matter of fact we ALL loved the dulce de leche!  Would I make these again, YES, but with just one basic change, outside of baking them the right length of time, I would leave out the apples and called them Recipe Girl's Dulce de Leche Blondies!

10 comments:

Nicole said...

I've done that time & time again!! & I think you've got something with the Dulce de Leche Blondies!

Anonymous said...

I have yet to try dulce de leche, and like the idea of them in these bars. So glad you liked the ribs!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'll eat whatever you don't want. I'm obsessed with apple pie and love dulche de leche. This would kill me. But it would be such a sweet death!

RecipeGirl said...

Glad you enjoyed the flavor. Let me know how they turn out without the apples! I think they'd be quite yummy :)

Emily said...

Yum! I've got to try these.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Apples or no apples they look great! Good saving on the rawish pieces, ice cream does everything better!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Ooooh they look SO good!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

miss.cupcake.face~
Ha-thanks for the moral support!
~ingrid

kim~
If you like caramel then you are sure to like Dulce de Leche if not love it!

YUP, those ribs were mighty tasty!
~ingrid

the blonde duck~
LOL! Please, don't, I need you to finish your "twirl" story!!
~ingrid

recipe girl~
My pleasure! Yes, when I make these without the apples I will let you know. I'm pretty sure they will be DELISH!

Sorry, again about the mess up of your recipe!

emiline~
That would be seriously cool if you did!
~ingrid

clumbsy cookie~
I love your new smiley happy face "icon"!

LOL! Hey, I couldn't throw it away.
~ingrid

how to eat a cupcake~
Thanks!
~ingrid

Amanda said...

Ha! I just did this too, not the recipe you blogged about (which sound fab by the way) but I made an Apple Pie Cake I found here http://www.anniesrecipes.com/Recipe/1014/Apple-Pie-Cake.htm and took it out too early, for fear I was going to burn it. Big mistake :( Wasn't done. boohoo! I will have to try it again because it smelled soooooo good cooking in the oven. I made a cream cheese frosting for it too.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

amanda~
Bummer, I hate when that happens,too. Of course, now the next time I make something (this past Mon) I will overcook it a bit because I'm worried about undercooking it! AAAAAA!

Thanks for the recipe. I'm gonna check it out!
~ingrid