Friday, September 5, 2008

Snickerdoodle cake?

Since finding the food blogosphere I have found that there are MANY things that I have not tried that are "normal" foods.  You know, nothing DSC00261crazy or unusual.   I am slowly tasting or making all of these wonderful treats that I had previously either not heard of or just hadn't tried.  One of those treats being a Snickerdoodle cookie.  A couple of months back I had the opportunity to try one.  I really enjoyed the slightly spicy and crunchy taste.  A couple of weeks ago Sydney at The Crepes of Wrath posted a Snickerdoodle Cake that I piqued my interest.  It was even better than I thought and I  was wrongly concerned  that my children wouldn't care for it.  The evening I made it the Twins had two friends over and Babygirl had a friend as well......they all ate big slices and said the cake was really good but that they LOVED the frosting!  DSC00245 (They kept trying to sneak frosting!) It was a recipe for Buttercream from Bakerella that I adapted.  I do have to say that the frosting really was good.  The cake didn't last long as the following afternoon my nephew, another of the Twins' friends and my three finished off the last of the cake.

Here's the recipe for Buttercream with my changes in dark green.

Buttercream Frosting (adapted from Bakerella)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I used 1tsp vanilla bean paste)
1 1b. 10X powdered sugar (I used only 3 cups but added 3 packed Tsp of brown sugar)
1-3 teaspoons milk, half and half or cream ( I used 2 tsp)

  • Using a mixer, cream softened butter and vanilla with until smooth.
  • Add the brown sugar first  and creamed well then I added the  powdered sugar gradually, allowing butter and sugar to cream together before adding more.
  • If you want it a little creamier, add a teaspoon of milk at a time and beat on high until you get the right texture.

*After cutting a slice I dusted it with cinnamon before serving it. 

      DSC00263

LiveJournal Tags: ,,
Post a Comment