Monday, September 29, 2008

A little of this ~ a little of that

DSC00392 In an earlier post I told you about the caramelized banana mixture that I made to swirl into brownies.  If you'll remember the kids loved it and ate it smeared on bagels and forgetting all about the brownies I was making.  Well, we just couldn't forget about it.  The other day while surfing through FoodGawker and Tastespotting I came across a picture and it's caption intrigued me.  I followed it to Cheese Cake Pie at The Cook Mobile.  After reading through the recipe I thought why not use the recipe for the caramelized banana cream and use the Cheese Cake Pie recipe for the crust and general idea.  I was getting brave taking a little of this and a little of that to come up with something that was almost mine.  Mind you this was getting crazy for me.  I'm a by the book, don't stray from the recipe kinda girl.

DSC00402 Okay, so here's what I did I followed the recipe for the caramelized bananas and added an extra large egg and then for the "cake pie" portion I followed the recipe skipping the cream cheese section and used two extra large eggs.  I also decided to break in these molten cake pans with the removable bottoms (NICE!) and make minis.  The middle of my cakes sunk a lot.  Without the assistance of fresh whipped cream, cinnamon sugar, and caramel drizzled over them they were not pretty.  They tasted really good as a matter of fact I had to hide one so I could wait for good lighting. For my first foray into experimenting not bad.  I'm pretty certain that I'll try these again with a bit more researching and tweaking. 

        DSC00389

I think these pictures came out a little better.  Though they may have gotten too much light? Not enough, too much, I don't know.  Hopefully I'll get it right soon.  I also need to figure out how to set up a portable "studio" so I don't have my kitchen table in every shot.  Any ideas?  I'm think of getting a large box, cutting out one wall, and then covering the inside of it with white material. 

LiveJournal Tags: ,

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ingrid,

Thanks for the well wishes and nice comment. Oh god, those cupcakes look so freakin' amazing! I'm stuck eating the worst crap ever known to man aka rehab-hospital food!

Anyhoo, SO=Significant other also known as Jason, my fiancee :)

Ok..can't keep looking at those cupcakes, dying here!

Bridget said...

Oh, WOW!!! Those look incredible!

Anonymous said...

Nice play with the recipe! I need to try your twist on the recipe...looks gooey good!

RecipeGirl said...

Fun experimentation! I'm always too worried to experiment all that much. Looks like this one was a success though!

Jamie said...

Gosh these look amazing! To answer your question, I would love to be added to your blog list! Thanks!!! :)

CM said...

Yay for improvisation!!
I do this a lot with savory things, but am a little shy when it comes to baking improv.
These look seriously delicious...
Also, just wanted to let you know I like the fact that your kitchen table is in your shots.

Deborah said...

These look sooo good!! I want one now!

Jaime said...

WOW!!! this looks amazing, i love it! great job adapting the recipes.

for the photo set, what you said sounds great... you can use white material, black, patterned etc. about one yard of fabric tends to work well.

grace said...

way to rally and make them gorgeous--a little whipped cream goes a long way, eh? :) i'm sure they taste phenomenal, and i love their size. :)

Anonymous said...

Those look amazing! And your pictures look really great too!

I kind of like your kitchen table in the shot, but if you really aren't fond of that you could put down a piece of material or some poster board on the table, or even behind what you are taking a picture of for a bit of a different look.

Pumpkin said...

Oooh! I love the new layout!

Jin Hooi said...

Looks yummy !! I love the new layout ;-)
Btw, hope to my blog to see your meme, i hope u enjoy the game ;-)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

It's nice to play arround with recipes, isn't it? I think you did great! They look really nice!

Natalie Que said...

These are amazing. I love the way banana gets all sweet and totally different when it gets cooked! Those certainly look like something that I would HAPPILY and greedily eat!

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness.. these look good. I think my hips just thickened up a little bit from just looking at this. I want to stick my finger in that frosting and just go to town.

You commented on my Beet Recipe a couple of days ago. Thanks!!

I had been seeing a couple of beet recipes here and there and thought that it would be fun to try. I had never had beets before, but I'm a fan of trying to squeeze as many veggies into my diet as possible, even into my cupcakes, it seems. They gave the cakes such a richness.. I couldn't believe it. The beets outside of the cake recipe smell strong and, well, purple. I can't describe it. Maybe go to the store and pick up a can of them and open it up. You'll see what I mean!

Leslie said...

Wow these looks amazing. I think the photos are great! Super job!

Honeyed Hashette said...

This looks and sounds awesome! I am SO a banana fan. I will have to try this whole carmelized banana thing. :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

That's why I plan on NOT having children! Lol :D

Umm, by the way, these photos made me wet my pants! Thanks times a million for posting this recipe!

Anonymous said...

I think your photos are wonderful. I do like your table, but Dianne's idea about the poster board I am going to try.

Those cakes are totally yummy looking. Thank goodness tasting with the eyes does NOT land on the hips.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hi, everyone!
Thank you SO SO MUCH for stopping by and commenting. It's nice to know that someone is reading this besides my Mom who never comments. Hello, Mother!

I am very sorry that it has taken me so long to comment back and that it is just a generic one at that. I have been SUPER busy as well as been sick for a large part of this month but I promise to try and do better.

Again, thanks for all the lovely, thoughtful comments!
~ingrid

Cakebrain said...

caramelized bananas are so yummy! your pics look so delicious!

Anonymous said...

These look fabulous! Yay for straying from the recipe!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

cakebrian~
Thank you! The banana mixture sans egg was great on toasted bagels!
~ingrid

juliet~
Hey, thanks! I appreciate the encouragement as I am such a 'fraidy cat baker!

Thank you for stopping in and commenting!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

Just on the photo alone, I want what you made. Lovely, keep baking!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

kim~
Hi, thank you and thank you for visiting! You're welcome to a piece but they are all gone! With three children and 2 or 3 or 4 of their friends plus the sitter everything goes FAST around here! Next time! :-)
~ingrid