Sunday, July 25, 2010

Guest Blogger: Lick The Bowl Good



Hello Everyone! I am Monica from Lick The Bowl Good and I was asked by Ingrid to be a guest blogger here on her blog while she's away on vacation. Ingrid and I have become great friends over the last year and a half, so of course I said YES! I am honored to be here and thank you for having me.



Originally I wasn't sure what recipe I wanted to share with you. Would I share something savory? Or would I treat you with cookies (which he doesn't like to make) or chocolate and raisins (which she despises)? In the end, I wanted whatever I featured on this blog to reflect Ingrid's personality and her blog style. I also still wanted her to be my friend and I knew if I made something with raisins in it, that she'd stop talking to me. ha ha!


So today I have a special cookie for you. I made these for McKenna's 11th birthday last month. I made snowflake sugar cookies for them over the holidays and they all really enjoyed them. So much so that Ingrid decided to make some for the dessert table at her brother's wedding. She used the same recipe I did, but for some reason McKenna claims mine were better. I'm not sure if that's true or if that's just what Ingrid told me so she wouldn't have to make them again :-) Either way, McKenna asked nicely so I sent her some in a surprise birthday package.



Ingrid said I could make and decorate them in any way I wanted, so I decided to turn to my Message In A Cookie Cutters that I got from Williams-Sonoma. I planned on doing pink and purple and was immediately shut down. Ingrid told me she's not a girly girl and that she prefers blues, greens and yellows. I still wanted them to be somewhat feminine, young and fun so I settled on purple, lime green and a dark peacock blue. I cut them into hearts and scalloped rectangles then accented them with white royal icing for contrast and added sweetness. They were then bagged and tagged with these sweet embossed stickers given to me by my friend Janet. I think this completes the package- thanks Janet!


Rather than typing out the recipe, I'll just link to it back on my blog since it's lengthy. The recipe for the sugar cookies can be found HERE. Thank you all for allowing me to share a recipe and photos with you. I hope you enjoy them. Ingrid has a picture of McKenna with her cookies so maybe if you ask nicely she'll share it with you when she returns!

33 comments:

Plain Chicken said...

beautiful cookies!

Memória said...

Wow. These cookies look so perfect! Goodness!! You are so talented, Monica.

I'm so glad that Ingrid has a daughter who is not a girly-girl. The thought of that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Shame on you for still adding feminine touches! LOL!! Anyway, they are some lovely cookies. Good job!

Monica H said...

Steph- Thank you!

Memoria- Feminine touches or not, the birthday girl loved them just the way the were! Thanks for the compliments :-)

cocoa and coconut said...

So beautiful! Lovely the colours and shapes.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What beautiful cookies! So wonderfully decorated.

Cheers,

Rosa

cookies and cups said...

Gorgeous! Yes, better you stayed away from raisins...for the greater good!
I have to get those message cutters

Miranda said...

Love them.
Those message cutters are way too cute!!! I must have them. :)

Eliana said...

What gorgeous cookies. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Lucie said...

Wait, what? No chocolate for your guest post on Ingrid's blog? ;) I love your cookies--I have the same message cookie cutter set and haven't used it since V-Day. Thanks for reminding me and giving me some inspiration!

Janet said...

Your cookies, (like everything else you do) are perfection!

I love that you used the embosser I gave you! I used mine over the weekend too, to emboss seals for the chocolate chip cookies I sent off to friends.

Great guest-post, and LUCKY McKenna!

Monica H said...

Brittany-Thank you!

Rosa- You are too kind.

Cookies & Cups- You too?! I was afraid if I posted something with raisins she'd throw stones at me :-)

Miranda- They are so much fun and they turn out cute every time.

Eliana- Thank you, I'm so glad you liked them.

Lucy- Chocolate is coming up later in the week- woo hoo!

Janet- Thanks for the compliments- I appreciate them and the embosser!

Faith said...

What a beautiful guest post! These cookies are GORGEOUS!

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

These are gorgeous cookies - and I love the color choices. BEautiful decorating!

grace said...

these cookies are positively perfect--i love the color scheme especially!

busyrunningmama said...

The colors are amazing and the cookies, just plain pretty! Love them!

Monica H said...

Faith- Thank you, I was nervous :-)

Keeping Up- I'm glad you liked them!

Grace- You are too kind. Thank you.

BusyMama- Oh thanks so much!

Barbara said...

The cookies look marvelous. I LOVE the colors!
I bought the message cookie cutters last year...such fun!

mbc said...

Looking at your recipes, Monica, I can see the love you put into your special food gifts. The planning, preparing, baking, decorating, packaging--wow! Another amazing work of art from your kitchen!

White Toast with Butter said...

Monica - those cookies are super cool - I love what you did with the hearts and I might steal that design!

Monica H said...

Barbara- yes they are so much fun!

mbc- Thank you so very much- that just made my day!

Andrew's Mom- You go right ahead0 have fun!

Unknown said...

Those are absolutely beautiful Monica! Great job!

Kristi said...

I want some of your cookies!

Kim said...

Those have to be some of the most gorgeous cookies I have ever seen! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

I'm soo glad to see cookies on here!! Awesome ones, you put a lot of effort into them. Wish I could get those great tools!

Mimi said...

Gorgeous cookies, Mckenna is a lucky girl.
Mimi

Monica H said...

Maranda- Thank you for saying so!

Kristi- I wish I could make cookies for everyone. And I would if they weren't so labor intensive :-)

Kim- Wow! Thanks!

Avanika- oh yay! Somebody has to make them. ha ha!

Mimi- Yes she is, but not because of my cookies. She has a great mama.

Lori said...

Monica- I am always taken aback by your creativity and stellar photos. You do a beautiful job.

The Blonde Duck said...

Those cookies are gorgeous!

Monica H said...

Lori- That is so sweet of you. Thanks so much!

Blonde Duck- Thanks, I'm glad you like them.

Heather S-G said...

These are too adorable! You are just the best...do you have your own little sweets business?? I mean, if you do not, you totally should...

Julie said...

Just beautiful! I'd certainly love these for my birthday! (hint hint :)

Kerstin said...

Wow, they're so pretty and perfect for a party!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Thanks, Monica! Not only did we enjoy the cookies (they were delish & gorgeous) but you did a great job picking a topic! Between Michelle's chocolate and your cookies I think my readers can no longer complain at least not for a while! :)
~ingrid