Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Raspberry Lime Snack Cake

DSC03591You guys have probably seen the blueberry version of this that went around a couple of weeks ago.  If you haven’t check out Monica’s. It nudged me into the kitchen.

DSC03592

With all the beautiful berries that can be found right now I definitely recommend trying this cake.   It’s very good, especially if you don’t bake it in a dark colored pan and forget to adjust the oven temperature 25 degrees.  I managed to “save” it by making a powdered sugar lime glaze.  :)

Raspberry Lime Cake, adapted from Southern Cakes

  • 1  2/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1   1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar (reserve a TBSP) 
  • 1 egg, room temp
  • 1/3 cup milk, room temp
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (do not thaw)*
  • the zest of 1 lime**

Heat the oven to 375F and generously grease a 9 inch square or round pan.  (I used a round 9” springform pan.)

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and stir with a fork to mix well. In a medium bowl, rub the lime zest into the sugar. Then add in softened butter and beat with a mixer at high speed until well combined.  Add the egg and beat well for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the bowl, until the mixture is light and smooth.

Stir in half the flour mixture then half the milk, mixing just enough to keep the batter fairly smooth and well combined. Add the remaining flour, then the rest of the milk, mixing gently. Gently stir in the raspberries.***

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread into corners The batter will be thick.  I wet my fingertips and gently spread the batter towards the edges of the pan as best I could.  Sprinkle reserved sugar over the top and bake at 375F for 25 minutes or until the cake is golden, springs back when touched gently in the center, and is pulling away from the sides of the pan.

Serve a square of cake right from the pan, warm or at room temperature. If its round, let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack or folded kitchen towel for 10 minutes and then turn it out to cool, top side up.

DSC03595

*I used fresh raspberries and set them in the freezer on a sheet pan while I waited for the butter, egg, and milk to come to room temperature and prepped everything else. 

**Whenever zest is needed for a recipe I always rub it into the sugar and allow it to sit while everything comes to room temp.

***Next time I will try pressing the berries into the batter after I have spread it into the pan. 

40 comments:

Abby said...

A Southern cake - it has to be good! I've never had raspberries and lime together. Gotta try it. Hope y'all had a great Fourth! We escaped to the mountains - and lower temps. Sheesh.

Donna-FFW said...

Raspberry and lime sounds like a most fantastic combo to me, and your pictures speak volumes, yum!!

MaryMoh said...

I do need this now. Haven't taken my breakfast. You are making me hungry! I should make one soon.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A perfect flavor combo! That cake must be divine!

Cheers,

Rosa

Heather Baird said...

Ooh, raspberry and lime? That sounds so good! Great tip about rubbing the lime zest into the sugar... will have to remember that one!

Diana's Cocina said...

Now this is the perfect snack cake. Loving the powdered sugar lime glaze.

Faith said...

This is such a pretty cake and I love how you added raspberries. That's a great tip for the zest and sugar -- I bet that would also be great to sweeten iced tea!

cookies and cups said...

I want a slice of this right now with my coffee. This is perfect for the beautiful raspberries right now!

Keeley said...

Yum! Too bad everytime I buy raspberries at Costco I eat every single one within 12 hours. There's no way I'd get to make a cake out of fresh berries!

oneordinaryday said...

I love cake you can eat of your hand, and when berries (esp. raspberries) are involved, then all the better.
Looks delicious!

Cristine said...

That looks and sounds amazing! Makes me wish that the raspberries in my fridge weren't being used for something else! :)

Unknown said...

Interesting combo - I will keep this in mind - lovely cake

Plain Chicken said...

That sounds so good!

Unknown said...

Oh man that sounds really good!

Debbie said...

Oh Ingrid, that combination just sounds so good. I would love that cake. I will have to try it soon (once the weather cools down).....

Lo said...

Just lovely... we've been eating so many raspberries out of hand that I didn't even THINK to put them into baked goods this year! :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I love berry desserts!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love this simple cakes and raspberry and lime go so well together! Sounds very fresh!

grace said...

this is perfectly appropriate for breakfast and snacking, and i love the raspberry-lime combo. ingrid, ya do good work. :)

Valerie said...

I love raspberries and it's great that you use frozen ones so you can enjoy it year-round.

Pam said...

Bookmarked! My kids would love this.

Jo said...

Delicious and I bet the raspberries complimented the lime so well.

Anonymous said...

This looks so, so awesome. I'd love a piece right now :) Also, I love your tip for the zest, definitely going to give that a try in the future. :)

Lucie said...

Sounds great! I rub the zest qnd sugar together every single time I bake--it really ups the taste and it makes your hands so soft!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

The lime is such a great compliment to the raspberries, the crumb looks so very good!! how delicious that cake must have been!

Lyndas recipe box said...

This sounds like a wonderful flavor combo...I like a smaller cake like this as it's a good size for just my husband and I.

Smitten Sugar said...

Yum I bet this cake was great with the raspberry and lime flavors! Love when you almost have a baking disaster and you save the day!

Delicious!

Barbara said...

Aren't the raspberries wonderful right now, Ingrid? I love this cake. I have to take something tomorrow night to a party and think this will do the trick perfectly!

Amanda said...

Looks fabulous Ingrid. I just made some blackberry muffins, but now i wish I would have made this!

Unknown said...

Great save :P Looks delicious :)

Kim said...

Found you over on Julie's blog with her seven sporadic questions. I definitely agree with you about dining with either Ina, Giada or Tyler!
The raspberry snack cake looks amazing.
Nice to meet ya!

tobias kocht! said...

I like that it is a "SNACK" cake.

Katy ~ said...

Oh, Lady, just slide that right on over here. I don't care one whit if it's a little overdone. I love it!!

Velva said...

God, that looks delicious! The fresh berries are everywhere. This cake must be made.

Hope your Summer has been enjoyable.

Lori said...

Yum Ingrid- I will be happy to snack on that!

I did that citrus and sugar rub when I was doing Tuesdays with Dorie. I love the smell of the citrus hitting the sugar. Oh it smells so good.

Mimi said...

I'd like to come over for a snack at your house. Raspberry and lime are a tasty combination.
Mimi

Lisa said...

Raspberry and lime are a perfect combination. I can imagine how tasty this cake is with loads of fresh raspberries. Hope you are having a great summer, Ingrid!

The Food Librarian said...

Love the combo of flavors! Yum!!!

Jaime said...

raspberry and lime are a perfect combo!

Lindsey Barbara said...

Emmmm, this looks so delicious! Your pictures speak for themselves - what a great combination. :) I will most certainly being adding this recipe to the recipe book.

Thank you so much for sharing, I have enjoyed reading your blog very much!!

Come join me at www.allgoodthingsorganic.blogspot.com


Have a lovely day,
~All Good Things Organic :)