Friday, July 30, 2010

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream & Brownie Sundae

Hi, everybody! I'm Michelle from One Ordinary Day and I'm excited to be Ingrid's guest blogger today. She's off enjoying her vacation, and while she's away it seems like the perfect time to make something dark and chocolaty. Are you with me?

There's a lot of pressure when you're writing for someone else's blog... I don't want to spell any words wrong. I want to share a great recipe with you. I want to make my friend happy. And I really want to make a good impression. With those things swirling around in my head, I just couldn't quite make up my mind about what to bake. My indecision turned out to be a good thing, because instead of posting only one recipe, I'm sharing two! It's a two-for-one! Come to think of it, if I give you the recipe for my chocolate sauce then you're really getting three recipes. Woop!

Let's start out with the brownies. You can definitely use a boxed mix, but if you have the time to make Ultimate Brownies, you won't be disappointed. The name says it all. They are seriously good and pair perfectly with this ice cream. Come to think of it, they pair perfectly with anything and everything. But since you can find that recipe on my blog, let's move on and meet the real star here. Chocolate-peanut butter ice cream. Hello, new best friend.

I love peanut butter. My kids and I could possibly starve if peanut butter was taken from us. I swear, at least one person eats a peanut butter sandwich in our house every single day. And chocolate? I can't even describe my baby girl's love of the stuff or how smitten Sam and I are with anything dark and fudgy. Jim's got a sweet tooth too, and he would surely never turn down dessert. So it comes as no surprise that this sundae was a hit with all of us.

This chocolate-peanut butter ice cream recipe comes straight from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. The man knows his ice cream. His recipes never disappoint, and this one has the added perk of requiring no eggs and very little prep time. And, people, I can't even put into words how delicious this ice cream is. Is it appropriate to use the word "luscious" when you're describing ice cream? Yes? Good, because this is absolutely luscious!

Don't let summer pass by without building a big, beautiful sundae with all the trimmings. It's the perfect way to end a sunny day.
___________________________________________________

Recipe: Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream
The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

2 c. half and half
1/4 c. unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 c. granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 c. smooth peanut butter

Whisk together the half and half, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil. (It will start to foam up.) Remove from heat and whisk in the peanut butter, stirring until thoroughly blended.

Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze in your ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions. (I find that chilling the ice cream mixture in an ice bath is the fastest way to get to eat my ice cream. I fill a big bowl with ice and water, then set my saucepan inside. You can also just use the fridge, but when I'm craving ice cream, I want to use the fastest method I can!)

Makes 1 quart.

Recipe: Homemade Chocolate Syrup

1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. water
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
3 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Whisk cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a pot until combined. Add water and whisk or stir until well blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove syrup from heat and allow to cool. When cooled completely, stir in vanilla extract until well combined. Pour syrup into an airtight container and refrigerate.

Makes approx. 1 3/4 c. of syrup and will keep nicely in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.

43 comments:

Plain Chicken said...

Holy Cow - this looks amazing!!

Monica H said...

This looks great Michelle. You did a great job as a guest blogger!

Charlene said...

That looks delicious.

♥peachkins♥ said...

This looks so good Michelle!



The Peach Kitchen
peach and things
blowing peachkisses

Lucie said...

I'm kicking myself for not having the apartment space for an ice cream maker. This looks amazing, Michelle!

Julie said...

Oh. wow! Serious sundae craving going on now1

Memória said...

Ingrid is going to get you for putting that much chocolate on her blog! LOL! It definitely looks amazing to me, though!! Goodness!! I'll have to check out that brownie recipe.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMD, that is a devilishy scrumptious combination! *drool*

Cheers,

Rosa

Paris Pastry said...

What a coincidence! I was just planning on making a chocolate peanut butter fudge sundae today!

Elle Bee said...

My goodness, this looks divine!!

Smitten Sugar said...

what a great guest blog! we all know how much Ingrid loves Chocolate :)

looks great!

Kim said...

Chocolate and peanut butter are a match made in heaven! I love it! I'm definitely going to have to try Dave's pb chocolate ice cream.

Lori said...

That is heavenly.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

This looks so yummy, Michelle. Great post and recipe.

naomi said...

Holy sundae, this is my kind of dessert. Chocolate. Chocolate and more chocolate.

Homebake Queen said...

Great guest post Michelle! My kids would go ga-ga over that dessert... (And I would too) :-)

grace said...

way to deliver as a guest poster, michelle! this is some superior ice cream, no doubt about it.

Robin said...

HAHAHAHA! I love the way you sabotaged Ingrids site by making something chocolate! This dessert looks fantastic. I have yet to pull out my ice cream maker this summer and summer is almost gone! I still even haven't fired up the charcoal grill! What is wrong with me? This ice cream recipe looks so super easy too- pure yumminess!

Unknown said...

Chocolate! On Ingrid's blog! Yayyy. This look fantastic, Michelle. I've specially taken note of the choc sauce, it looks mouth-watering :)

Faith said...

Ingrid, you have won me over yet again. Peanut butter and chocolate is a combination I cannot resist! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious!

Kerstin said...

I'm drooling - looks like the ultimate sundae!

Mimi said...

At least you didn’t use raisins too. Great guest post.
Mimi

Anonymous said...

As a guest blogger here, you definitely didn't disappoint. There is nothing missing from this amazing sundae :)

Karen @ Mignardise said...

This will be my next David Lebovitz ice cream creation - it sounds amazing! And with a brownie? Over the top, and that's the way I like it.
Thanks Michele!

Ingrid - hope you're having a great vacation!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

If I was a chocolate lover that would be my dream dessert. 'cause I do love me some ice cream and brownies and chocolate syrup would definitely make it even better! :)

Thanks so much for sharing such a an awesome treat! (Even if it is chocolate, ha-ha!)
~ingrid

The Blonde Duck said...

I too, would die without PB. I eat it at least once a day.

And I think you're cool too, Ingrid!

Unknown said...

This looks amazingly decadent and quite delicious. I saw the picture and knew it couldn't be Ingrid posting! LOL! Thanks for sharing both these recipes! They look scrumptious!

teresa said...

SO delicious, my husband would go nuts for this too!

Kim - Liv Life said...

Excellent recipes! Chocolate and PB? Can't go wrong. I have to admit I've never had PB in an ice cream, I'm eager to try! Thanks so much for the post!

Dandy said...

Holy moly- I'm making this next week.

Jaime said...

i've made this and loved it. thanks for guest blogging!

ingrid - hope you're enjoying your vacation :)

Teanna said...

so I saw this post and almost lost it (in a good way). This looks INCREDIBLE! OHHHHH The deliciousness!

Rachel said...

Chocolate peanut butter ice cream is BY FAR my favorite. As soon as I get myself an ice cream machine, I'm all over this recipe!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

This is when my husband starts licking the screen.

megan said...

This looks and sounds amazing, cant beat the flavor combo. I really need to get me this book!

Heather S-G said...

Oh my gosh, I made this last summer and fell head over heels!!! YUMMMMM =)

cookies and cups said...

yum yum yummmmmmmm! I am gonna give those brownies a go!

Julie M. said...

Nice job! I wouldn't care how many misspellings you had for this recipe though. Put chocolate and peanut butter together and I'm there!

Julie M. said...

Ingrid!! How the heck are you doing? Is your vacation going well? We miss you!!

Diana's Cocina said...

Great guest blog! Looks yummy!!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Omg wow what a great post this looks amazingly delicious! I looveee peanut butter :D

Velva said...

Holy cow! This is awesome. Peanut butter and chocolate, you cannot go wrong. Beautiful.