Monday, August 9, 2010

I’m back!

Hiya!  I’m back! Sorta.  :)  I’m trying to get the kids ready for school so I haven’t done any baking.  (I am working on a challenge with Monica and Michelle but more on that at a later date.) Along withback to school shopping we’re also finishing up our summer reading and projects.  Any thoughts on required summer reading?  Mine will not only be taking a test on their book the first day of school, but the twins also have a massive project! Why, oh why does the school district think that summer projects need to be turned in on the first day of school?  Can you imagine?  Your first day of school, you’re struggling to find classes, and you have to carry around a huge tri-fold project board?  Yeah, I don’t think that was well thought out.  LOL, thanks for letting me vent!

Here are some photos of our visit to North Carolina.  The town my parents live in is so small it doesn’t have a post office or police station!  There are only 302 people that live there. Btw, there is also no cellular service.

bears in the woods

Bears in the woods.

blue sunset

The view on the way up to my parents’ cabin on Yellowtop Mountain.

butterfly

Butterfly in the butterfly plant.  There are probably a 100 butterflies and bees in it.

daisy 2

dad

My dad, Papa!

family

I love these guys!  Jalen, Joe, McKenna, & Devon!

papa's cabin

My parents’ cabin on Yellowtop Mountain.

Parrett sign

The sign leading up my parents’ very steep driveway.

mom & daisies

My raspberry recipe lovin’  Mom, Linda!

farm

A farm we pass driving into town.

family plus

McKenna, Joe, Jalen, Mom, Dad, Joe’s brother Butch, his Dad Sonny, and Devon.  I’m behind the camera.

fave tree

I LOVE this tree!  The whole scene is kinda surreal looking. This was at the cabin Joe’s dad, Sonny rented while we were there. 

fire pit

The fire pit where lots of s’mores would have been made had it gotten the slightest bit cool.

fave tree close up

IMG_0082-1 - Copy

This photo was taken with the camera on Joe’s phone the rest of the photos were taken with my new camera.  

my three

See these guys?  They are what keep me from baking, blogging, and reading as much as I want! :)

I’m submitting this post to Household 6 Diva’s Mamarazzi Monday!

Mamarazzi Monday

Thanks for sticking around! I know this was a little long.  I’ll be back soon with a yummy recipe. Oh, and before I forget MANY, MANY thanks to my guest bloggers Michelle and Monica! Both of whom shared some delish recipes with you. Ones that you wouldn’t normally get here; cookies and chocolate!

33 comments:

Lori said...

Wow- your kids have grown. They look so much older. Are you putting fertilizer in their shoes.

What a beautiful cabin, what an amazing getaway.

I am glad you are back. You are the sweetest!

Kerstin said...

What gorgeous photos - I'm glad you had such a lovely vacation and I'm already looking forward to the challenge you guys are planning :)

Julie said...

What a beautiful vacation! I think summer homework should be outlawed...I'd write my congressman :)

Elle Bee said...

That cabin is magnificent!!! What beautiful photos.

Mimi said...

Ingrid,
It's so nice to meet your family. Your kids look so grown up.
We don't start shcool until after Labor Day this year, and yes there is plenty of summer homework (2 books, a packet of short answer question for each and essays that have to be turned in online before school starts for English and 1 book and packet for history).
Great pictures, I see you are enjoying your new camera.
Mimi

Lucie said...

Great photos--sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Welcome back! It looks like you had a great time. That cabin is wonderful.

Cheers,

Rosa

Faith said...

It looks like you had a wonderful vacation! The cabin and its surroundings look so peaceful!

Debbie said...

Beautiful pictures Ingrid and thanks for sharing them. Your children look so sweet and I love your parents cabin!

Keeley said...

Thanks for sharing your family trip! That cabin is amazing. It sounds like such a relaxing time!

Cristine said...

Looks like a great vacation! Loved the pics!

Baking Momma said...

OK Ingrid I am jealous! What a beautiful spot. You know I am not that far from you. Next time make some room for me in your suitcase lol.

Love the pics. Beautiful family. Although as usual you are behind the camera

Eliana said...

Looks like you had an amazing time. And you have such a gorgeous familia.

Danae said...

Beautiful family and beautiful vacation pictures! I'm jealous! Looks like you had a wonderful time! And about summer reading.. I work at a bookstore, and I'm absolutely amazed at what these kids have to do over the summer. Some of them are reading 4 or 5 HUGE books for high school and having to write these insane essays about each of them. Even the younger kids have a ton to do! I guess I was lucky when I was in school.. Summer was just summer for me. No reading. No homework. Just endless days at the pool.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos!!! It looks like you had a great time! My stepdad is from a little place called Andrews, NC and there is not post office or stoplight there either. Crazy small towns! It's beautiful country up there though! Thanks for sharing with us!

Monica H said...

What great photos Ingrid! That tree is so cool and gnarly looking- I love it!

You got such awesome photos of the kids and your family. I only wish I saw YOU in there. I'm so glad you were able to get away and relax for a week.

PS, That photo of the kids should be your screen saver- they look so grown up.

Thanks for sharing your vacation photos with us.

Karen @ Mignardise said...

Glad you had such a wonderful vacation. Fabulous photos of the scenery and of course your adorable kids. Such fun to see them!

Summer reading requirements are a sore spot in our summer. My son, the senior, has 3 books to read and write about. One of them is A Prayer for Owen Meany which is one of my own all time favorites. I'm hoping it'll make him a John Irving fan for life. He's also supposed to working on essays for college apps. Don't even ask how that's going...

teresa said...

oh my gosh, how beautiful! we are actually going to be in nc this september for the first time, and now i really can't wait! good to have you back!

Reeni said...

Everything about this post is beautiful Ingrid! Your family - the place where your parents live and that cabin! And I couldn't agree more - having work due on the first day of school - so wrong.

grace said...

thanks for sharing your great pictures, ingrid--that last one's clearly the winner. :)

cookies and cups said...

What a gorgeous house! Your family is the cutest!

Unknown said...

Welcome back!!! That place is absolutely gorgeous, I can't imagine living without cell service though!!

Val said...

Looks like you had a relaxing and peaceful time. I love your photos. Your kids are beautiful!!

Pam said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time and that's one great cabin! Beautiful pics!

Heather S-G said...

Gorgeous photos, Ingrid!!! Wowza. And whaaaa!? summer projects!? I've never heard of such an unfair thing! Welcome back :)

Dandy said...

picturesque to say the least! i can't imagine living in an area like that!

Your parents cabin looks huge and the kids are gorgeous.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm glad you're back!

Jamie said...

Lovely photos...looks like a spectacular vacation!

Lorie said...

Beautiful family! I would like to see you in some pictures, though! Love, love, love North Carolina. We vacation there often.

Welcome back! Are you enjoying your camera?

Abby said...

Gorgeous family! And beautiful place. Would they like to adopt me as a niece-in-blogging? I have a cute kiddo they can play with while I bake for them....

Memória said...

I agree with the others. Your family is absolutely lovely!! Now, where are the photos of you?!

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Your photos look amazing already. I'm glad you're having fun with your camera.

Robin said...

Hey Ingrid, Looks like you had a great time! Enjoy the last few days of summer before the kids go back! When I was a kid I had one summer reading program and hated it, I tink all the parents complained and they never did it again. My kids read so much in the summer anyway that they would probably stop if they knew there would be a test.

megan said...

Your pictures are wonderful and I see your having fun with the new camara. I just got mine too and I'm loving it. What a nice "cabin". Looks like a little more then a cabin! Nice getaway! With the beginning of school here, all I can say is HAPPY NEW YEAR!