Thursday, August 19, 2010

Razzleberry Lemon Custard Tart

IMG_0271

How about a recipe?  It’s been awhile.  :)  I found this gem at Lick the Bowl Good. I’m certain most of you have taken a gander at Monica’s blog but if you haven’t yet you are missing out on a delicious blog! 

IMG_0276

I pretty much followed the recipe as written. I did have to use a 10 springform pan instead of the 9 inch as I didn’t have one. Or it could just be that my baking pan situation is out of control and I can’t remember that I have one.  My other change was swapping out the blueberries for raspberries and blackberries. If you’ll notice from my photo I probably should have gone with a smaller pan.  Unfortunately, I didn’t realize it until after I had already pre-baked my crust and poured in the custard.  It also didn’t help that my blackberries were HUGE!

IMG_0284

Razzleberry Lemon Custard Tart, adapted from Lick the Bowl Good (printable recipe)

  • 3 cups fresh or frozen berries (1 pound, I used a combination of raspberry & blackberry)
Shortbread Crust:
  • 1 stick plus 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Lemon Custard:
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • Zest and juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup juice)
  • Powdered sugar, for dusting


Drain the blueberries in a strainer set over a bowl. Preheat the oven to 400°.

For the shortbread crust:  Using your fingers, combine the butter, 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1 & 1/2 cups of the flour and blend together until coarse crumbs form (You can use a pastry blender to incorporate the ingredients or a food processor works well too). Pour the mixture into an ungreased nonstick 9-inch springform or cake pan (If you do not have a 9 inch I suggest going with a slightly smaller pan and baking for a little longer.) and press down evenly to form a crust. Bake the shortbread crust until lightly golden, about 20 minutes.
Remove the shortbread from the oven and reduce the temperature to 325°. Scatter the drained berries evenly over the baked shortbread.

For the lemon custard:  Beat the eggs with the 3/4 cup of sugar until thick and pale yellow. (Here’s where I always stray from the recipe.  I mix the zest with the sugar, giving it a stronger lemon flavor.) Whisk in the lemon zest, the lemon juice, and the 1/4 cup of flour. Pour the lemon cream over the berries.
Bake the tart until the custard is set, about 30 minutes. (See note below) Let cool completely, then dust with powdered sugar. (I forgot to.)

NOTE:  It may take longer than 30 minutes to bake.  The top of the custard doesn't brown much so it's hard to tell if it's done, but it shouldn't be wet and liquidy. The custard is done when it firms up in the center. I gave my pan a gentle shake to check.

IMG_0278

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the four of us might have polished this off in one day. Maybe……  :)

IMG_0292

37 comments:

Charlene said...

I don't care for blueberries and your using raspberries and blackberries is perfect. I'd use an 8" X 3" pan, so it was higher too.

Looks fabulous!

Megan said...

I like blackberries better then blueberries and this looks perfect to me! Shortbread crust and lemon custard, with my favorite berries, ahhh, yes please!

Dandy said...

I cannot wait to try this... and I just realized I don't even own a springform pan. how can that be?

Jennie said...

Uh, YUM!! This looks deeeelicious! Talk about a perfect summer dessert. And that second photograph is just lucious...makin' me drool!

Lucie said...

Looks like a great way to highlight summer fruit. Bravo, Ingrid!

Monica H said...

These set of photos are really great Ingrid. Your tart looks so good to me- I don't mind if the berries are taller than the custard :-)

Glad you and the kiddos liked it!

♥peachkins♥ said...

It looks amazing and I love custard...this is so perfect for me...

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Mmmmhhh, so delicious! I cannot resist berry tarts.

Cheers,

Rosa

Heather Baird said...

Looks so yummy! I love the name too.

Sherry G said...

I'm definitely not a blueberry fan, so I'd make the switch too. And not to one-up you, but I'm sure just my mom and I could finish this is in just one day;) Hehe thanks for sharing!

Faith said...

Something this delicious wouldn't last long in my house either! I love the berries you used in it

April said...

This does look delish!! I hope you are having a great summer!

cocoa and coconut said...

Heavenly combination of flavours there!

Unknown said...

I actually love the front and center berries, Ingrid. Would love a panful of this :)

Unknown said...

I love all the berries poking out! Looks great

grace said...

how can you NOT like something with the word razzleberry in its name? :)

Lo said...

This looks positively delicious! And wow -- I'm still stunned by the size of those blackberries. Very impressive :) I'm such a fan of the lemon/berry combo -- I'd absolutely love this tart.

Mimi said...

Any kind of berries would work for me.
Mimi

Julie said...

I am dazzled by the razzleberry tart...seriously!

kimberleyblue said...

This looks pretty perfect to me. A lemon custard sounds like a piece of summer heaven, especially with those plump blackberries!

Julie M. said...

Ohhh. I like the look of this! I really need to get off my rump and make a tart one of these days. Nice job! Have a great weekend Ingrid!

teresa said...

oh yum! it's so pretty too, i love this!

Eliana said...

This beauty looks so dreamy. And awesome pic of those berries :)

Debbie said...

Oh does that ever look delicious. I have to give this one a try.

Rachel said...

Yum! Yum! Yum! I LOVE lemon and raspberries together. They're the prefect combo. This looks so pretty and dainty. Perfect for summer.

Pam said...

That looks absolutely amazing! This is my kind of dessert.

Unknown said...

Ummm...it looks delicious to me!!! I love the combination of berries and lemon. Yummy! Why didn't you invite me over before you licked that plate clean?!?! Mean!!! ;-)

Reeni said...

What a luscious treat Ingrid! I am loving those big, fat black berries!

Elle Bee said...

Oh gosh that looks good! Those fresh berries are so beautiful and the tart sounds delicious.

Abby said...

Love Monica's blog (and she's so sweet, too!) and love ANYthing with blackberries. This looks divine!

Kerstin said...

Wow, what amazing blackberries! This looks like the perfect way to enjoy them!

Cristine said...

Yum! I'll take a slice!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer said...

I have fresh berries that we picked earlier this summer thawing in the fridge- this is exactly what I am going to do with them! I was going to make sauce but this will be made instead :)

Chelsea said...

I love your site! I just stumbled on it and am so excited to use it for good recipe ideas! This fresh berry tart looks delicious...

Shelby said...

You are killing me. LOL. I'm supposed to be getting off the computer but I keep seeing these awesome photos going on the post after post! Of course, your berries here pulled me in. This looks fantastic!

Foodiewife said...

I am so far behind in visiting blogs. Ha! Monica got this recipe from me, who got the recipe from Rachel Ray-- who actually didn't make this, but had one of her food editors create it in her magazine. Doesn't matter...it's a family favorite. I swap out for olallieberries, which we grow in our own backyard. That reminds me, it's time to grab some berries from the deep freeze and make it again.

Amanda said...

That looks friggin' delicious!