Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cinnamon Caramel Popcorn with Pecans & White Chocolate Drizzle!

Is that not a mouthful or what, but boy was it good!  On Wednesday my buddy, Michelle from One Ordinary Day made some cinnamon popcorn that she claimed was quick, easy, and delish!  DSC02276Unfortunately as quick and easy as it may have been the kids’  homework and studying this week has left no time for baking. Lucky for me the next afternoon I found this recipe, for cinnamon caramel popcorn with pecans and white chocolate on Our Best Bites.  Was it coincidence?  I think not! Sara’s recipe even had the pecans and white chocolate I thought of adding to Michelle’s.  Fate and a break in homework had me making a batch of this last night. 

DSC02274

I only made one change to this most delectable popcorn and that was to use Ghirardelli white chocolate bars instead of the almond bark.  While incredibly good the next time I make this and there will be a next time, I am going to change things up.  These changes are to satisfy MY taste and  not necessarily yours.  My first change will be to double the pecans added and leave them in bigger pieces.  My second change is a biggie.  Next time I’m not going to bake it, at all!  Both the twins and I agreed that it was equally if not more yummy with the caramel mixture still sticky and warm just poured over the popcorn and pecans. Because I’m not baking it I’ll toast my pecans before adding them.  The last change is again, one of personal preference but I’d leave out the white chocolate drizzle.  I don’t think it needed it.  The bites that had white chocolate seemed too sweet.  I just noticed that Sara changed her recipe and left out the salt (1/4 tsp) but I think the popcorn benefits from the salt (sea) and could probably stand another 1/4 tsp of it to cut through the richness of the caramel. 

DSC02273

Cinnamon Caramel Corn with Pecans                      & White Chocolate            Recipe by Our Best Bites

12 C popped popcorn (about 1/2 C kernels)
1 C pecan halves, roughly chopped
1 C brown sugar
3/4 t cinnamon
1/4 C karo syrup (or honey makes a good substitution)
1 stick real butter (1/2 C)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 squares almond bark (about 4 oz)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees
Place popcorn and chopped pecans in a large bowl and set aside.
Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a 4 C capacity microwave safe bowl.  Mix well.  Chop butter into chunks and place on top of sugar mixture.  Pour corn syrup over the top of everything.  Microwave on high for 30 seconds and then stir to combine.  Return to microwave and heat for 2 minutes.  Remove and stir and then microwave for 2 minutes more.
Remove from microwave and add in vanilla and baking soda.  Stir to combine.  Mixture will foam and rise.  Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and pecans and stir very well so everything is well coated. 
Spread popcorn mixture onto a foil-lined jelly roll pan.  Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. 
Remove from oven and spread out on a large piece of parchment, waxed paper, or foil.
Melt almond bark according to package instructions.  Drizzle over popcorn mixture.  When almond bark is hardened and popcorn is cool, break into chunks and enjoy!  (I might have topped some vanilla ice cream with the last of the it! :))

DSC02286

Here’s Michelle’s recipe for cinnamon popcorn

Cinnamon Popcorn

  • 8-10 c. of popped popcorn
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1/3 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 hefty pinches of kosher salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Pop popcorn and spread onto a large cookie sheet.  (Michelle used a hot air popcorn popper.)  Melt butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a microwave-safe bowl until sugar is dissolved and butter melted, 1 – 2 minutes.  Stir in vanilla extract.  Spoon butter mixture over popcorn and sprinkle with salt.  Toss to coat as many pieces of popcorn as you can.  Place in oven for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool completely.  If storing {not likely!}, place in an airtight container

**Speaking of Michelle she participating in Cupcake Hero this month and created the very delicious looking (& I’m certain tasty) Banana S’mores Cupcakes.  I haven’t made them yet but they are at the top of my “to make” list.  Check them out and if you think they are as delish looking as I do you can vote for her here!    Go Michelle!  :)

*******************************************************

Over the last six months or so I’ve received several blog “awards”.  I want to take a moment to thank all of you for thinking of me and my blog.  I know that the “award” rules say I need to chose 5, 6, 7, or 10 other bloggers to pass them along to but if you’ve been reading my blog awhile you’ll know how I feel about calling out a select few.  ALL of you have a unique voice and something special about your blogs.  I apologize if  my not passing along the awards offends anyone but there it is.  Thanks, again and I’m sorry it took me so long to say it!

DSC02288

49 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

WOW! it looks good. I would like to eat this while watching a movie..

square kitchen said...

Thanks Ingrid for visiting my blog. I love your popcorn as well. The compilation with the pecan sounds perfect. Have a nice weekend.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, that is one "dirty" treat! Regressive and scrumptious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Kristen said...

this looks so good and totally up my alley!

Palidor said...

The popcorn looks fantabulous! I agree with you on skipping the baking. That's actually the first time I've heard flavored popcorn being baked. Do make sure to post pictures of your next time! :)

oneordinaryday said...

As if the cinnamon popcorn wasn't enough of a treat, you had to go adding extras to it. LOL I love the idea of adding the pecans ~ especially toasted first. Yum. That sounds perfect.

And THANK YOU for the awesome Cupcake Hero shout out!!!! You're the best. : )

Anonymous said...

Lucky for me, I just relocated my Air Popper.....this is on my list of "must makes". It would be great as holiday gifts in cute tins!!!

Donna-FFW said...

I want a nice bowl of that and a good movie on TV:)

ann low said...

WOW! This is so easy, I love it.:D

Leslie said...

Ohh evil..I better eat this wating a REALLY short movie for I would eat it all!

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Yummy!! I can't wait to try this. I absolutely love Harry & David's Moose Munch so I am sure I would love this too.

Mireya said...

This would make a perfect snack for late-night munchies or a movie night! Thanks for sharing :)

Monica H said...

Yum-O!

Imade caramel popcorn the other day and snnuck it into the movies but it didn't have cinnamon in it!

I will have to try this!

Steph said...

I have the hugest obsession with caramel popcorn, which is why I never buy it! It's so weird, but I never thought of making it myself. I just want to grab a handful of your popcorn from the screen!

Reeni said...

This looks incredibly delicious! What a yummy snack!

Bunny said...

Ingrid this looks fantastic, I'm with you I think I'd like it all gooey and warm too!!

Maris said...

Yumm...I think this sounds like a perfect special snack or gift - maybe for the holidays. Starring this in my reader ;)

Miranda said...

Ingrid,
First of all, I am going to make this SOON. My kids and hubby are huge popcorn fans. I am making your previous post too. I swear, you post directly for me. LOL.
I love everything you post.

The move is still in limbo. I am pretty stressed. I think, we should be moved out in 2 wks. (Crossing my fingers)

Thanks for asking.

cookies and cups said...

That looks really incredible! My kids would go crazy for this! BTW, I am trying your marshmallow brownies today and I'll let you know how they turn out...thanks for the recipe!!

grace said...

fact: popcorn never had it so good. it neer occurred to me that popcorn could be spruced up like this, but wow--it's sensational. butter and salt will never satisfy me now. :)

Christy said...

Ingrid-this looks so good and perfect for a family fun night! Who knew popcorn could look so good? :0)

Kerstin said...

This looks SOOO good and I would love to try it warm and gooey - YUM!

Eliana said...

This looks super delish Ingrid.

teresa said...

what a wonderful snack, so yummy!

Katy ~ said...

Gourmet popcorn for sure! I'd personally leave off the white chocolate as well. Love my popcorn treats. This one is a HUGE winner!

Coleens Recipes said...

This IS diet food, right? Just checking (wink)

Shelby said...

Guarantee I would not leave this alone til it was gone. I love caramel corn of all types and flavors! YUM!

Smitten Sugar said...

Yumm! This looks soo good. You can set up a stand at the movies and make some money! Love the addition of cinnamon to carmel popcorn, if I made I might omit the pecans, Im not a huge pecan person! But this looks like a keeper for sure.

Debbie said...

Boy does that ever make movie popcorn look bland!!! Looks so good Ingrid!!! We would all go crazy for that here!

April said...

Oh Ingrid, I will be making this!!! YUM!!!

James | Postcard Printing said...

I can't wait to have that one. cinnamon pop corn with that dressing, delicious. It's really fun eating that one while watching a movie.

Julie said...

That's some in-your-face yumminess right there. (wish I had some in MY face...HA!) Sorry, couldn't resist.
I always suck at passing those awards along...mostly because I'm lazy.

Lori said...

Delicious! I think the added salt would make i better. Certainly I would not turn this down either way! Goodness. I love popcorn. Anyway.

Robin said...

We are popcorn lovers in my house and this would be perfect! Great recipes!

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks great! Who doesn't like popcorn?

Karine said...

The combo of caramel and white chocolate must be amazing!

Jaime said...

wow that is just sinful! I love caramel popcorn.

we are doing great (aside from being uncomfortable-ha), thanks for asking :) 33 weeks and counting...

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Looks like a fun sweet/salty snack!

Pam said...

You are killing me! This looks and sounds amazing.

Amanda said...

That has some real WOW factor!

Dandy said...

And then you topped ice cream with it and I died.

Faith said...

Bookmarking this recipe...this is exactly what I wanted for a movie night this weekend!

The Purple Foodie said...

This has got to be the most decadent popcron recipe I've come across. I LOVE it! :D

Peabody said...

Oh my! That looks insanely good.

Abby said...

I've always had SUCH trouble with covered-popcorn recipes. They always come out soggy! This looks fabulous!

Lynn said...

You'll have to promise to post this again with all your "tweaks" once you've decided it's exactly perfect :) I tried making chocolate drizzled (salted) popcorn not long ago and thought it was delicious. I do remember I hurt my hand, though, because the directions said to freeze before breaking it into pieces, and it was so hard to pry it all apart that I whacked my forearm hard against the glass pan. Ouch! So be careful; popcorn can be harmful to your health ;)

Teanna said...

White chocolate!? Drizzled on Caramel popcorn!? With Cinnamon?! And Pecans?! HOLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

A & W said...

Wow Ingrid this looks awesome. Popcorn with a white chocolate drizzle ahhhhhh yum! Plus cinnamon and caramel! Even better. Great recipe and pictures!
- Whitney

craftygirl75 said...

Just made it and it was fabulous! I can't wait to share it and hear how much everyone loves it!