Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Marshmallow “Not So” Frosted Brownies

In keeping with the marshmallow theme of my last post here’s some marshmallow frosted brownies I made.  This is actually the third time I’ve made these brownies though the first time I’ve tasted them myself.  The very first time I made them was last school year for one of Devon’s classes.  They must have been a hit because his teacher asked for them again the following week.  After the second batch I told his teacher that I preferred to bake and try different recipes so, no more marshmallow frosted brownies.  I know you guys know what I mean.  :)

DSC02171

This last batch I baked was intended for Babygirl’s cheerleading squad but due to rain, practice was cancelled and they never made it.  Initially I was annoyed. This was the second time I had baked something for her to bring but didn’t get to because thunderstorms forced practice to be cancelled.  I did say initially.  After tasting one I was more than pleased with both the brownies and the fact that I now had a pan full.  Miss Karolyn, the children’s sitter enjoyed them as well.  To keep from gorging myself I gave a third of the pan to her to take to home.  

DSC02166

I found this recipe at Mommy’s KitchenTina, the bloggess of Mommy’s Kitchen is a HUGE fan of Paula Deen and has tried many of her recipes which means she has a blog full of yummy food!

DSC02168

For the most part I followed Tina's recipe with the exception of being generous with the ‘mallows.   On this last batch though I did goof up a bit.  As you can see my brownies are not really frosted.  This was due to impatience.  I hurriedly made the glaze and then poured it, still HOT on to my just out of the oven, marshmallow topped brownies.  I know that the recipe says to but you don’t really want  the frosting boiling hot so much as really warm.  It also didn’t help that the marshmallows hadn’t gotten that crunchy skin on them that they get after being roasted and then coming to room temp. (read, I needed to let the brownies cool and didn’t read the recipe carefully.) They weren’t so pretty but it all worked out. The frosting seeped into the brownies making them so moist and yummy.  If you want  marshmallow “frosted” brownies you should probably follow the recipe a little better than I did this time around.  Oh, and Tina says to follow the box directions for cakey brownies….I say no, if we’re gonna go marshmallows and frosting, then it’s fudgy all the way!

DSC02167

Marshmallow Brownies
1 - (9 x13) boxed brownie mix
Miniature marshmallows
Frosting (recipe below)

Make the brownie mix according to package directions for CAKE LIKE brownies. Bake according to package directions. When brownies are done, cover them with a layer of miniature marshmallows and put back into the oven for a few minutes until marshmallows are nice and puffy. Cool brownies and top with frosting recipe below.

Frosting
1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons water
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bring 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 4 tablespoons cocoa, 3 tablespoons water, and 3 tablespoons milk to a boil. Remove from heat. While still hot, add confectioners' sugar, and vanilla. Beat well. Pour frosting over brownies while frosting is still hot. Allow to cool before cutting.

 

Technorati Tags: ,

36 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, those are killer Brownies! Fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa

Teanna said...

Oh man, next thunderstorm, I know where I'm going! WOW are those out of this world!

Unknown said...

I love your 'twist' on these! They sure look great! Thank god for thunderstorms :P

Katy ~ said...

Look at all that gooey marshamallowy and chocolaty goodness going on in these! Wowser!

Anonymous said...

I just love anything with marshmallows, and those look sinfully delicious! I agree that you should make them with the fudgey recipe too.

I usually have a box of brownie mix in my cupboard, because I can whip them up for difference occasions. Thanks for sharing this new twist on brownies!!!!!

Palidor said...

Totally yummy! I think having the frosting seep into the brownies is delectable! And I know what you mean - 90% of baking fun comes from trying new things. Plus it's nice to show off your culinary repertoire. ;-)

cookies and cups said...

These look and sound really great. I have made so many brownie/marshmallow combos lately, but my kids lOVE them! These seem a little different, definitely worth a try! Thanks for posting this!

oneordinaryday said...

Huh. See, I was actually trying to figure out how your got the glaze to do that. : ) I like how it looks! These sound great!!

Amanda said...

Holy canoli Batman! those look so sweet my teeth are hurting LOL YUM!!

Heidi said...

I can't wait to give these a try! My husband and kids are big brownies fans and this will make them "special"

Smitten Sugar said...

Oh wow those look delicious! At least this time you got to try them!!

Nella said...

Just had to tell you, Smitten Kitchen has Snickerdoodle Cookies on her site today. I thought of you. N

Eliana said...

These look abolutely incredible Ingrid. I would love to swim in a pool full of them. hahaha

Megan said...

kind of reminds me of a mississippi mud cake only it's a brownie. Looking good, maybe too good! :) Oh no, do I have self control?

michellemabell said...

LOL at your "no" to the cake brownie suggestion...I'm with you..fudgy all the way!!! :)

michelle

Mireya said...

Yum, yum, yum - these look sinfully good!

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Oh my what a yummy sight this morning!!!

Dandy said...

Oh my goodness. What I want to know is how on earth you made this twice without tasting it?

Reeni said...

These look so rich and delicious! I'll take fudgy brownies over cake ones any day!

Debbie said...

Those are exactly my kind of brownies. I love them with marshmallows. Also love Paula Deen - I call her my husband's girlfriend since he gives me many of her recipes to try! Her food is just so darn rich!!!!

Tina Butler said...

Sounds awesome I am doing fudgy next time. Goodness i could like this screen to get to one of those brownies. Thanks for the shout out. Now i gotta make them.

grace said...

i'm a true marshmallow-lover, and i appreciate all the attention you're bringing to the puffy little things. these brownies look absolutely scrumptious, whether that's the way they were intended to look or not!

teresa said...

have mercy, these look positively sinful, mmmmmm.

Monica H said...

Yes, fudgy all the way! I like the way they look with the frosting just barely there. It almost looks like vintage furniture with peeling paint. It has character. Yes, that's a compliment :-)

Pam said...

Well the cheerleaders sure missed out because these look mighty tasty.

James | Postcard Printing said...

Tasty crispy, creamy, sweet. What else can you say. Deliciously done.

Shelby said...

these look so good! Love how the topping looks so I would probably do exactly what you did in a hurry! ;-)

The Blonde Duck said...

The REAL end of Twirl is up today!

Angie's Recipes said...

mmmm....marshmallow brownies, sound and look very good, for the weekend sugar indulgence.

Angie's Recipes

Lynn said...

These sound yummy. They remind me of Mississippi Mud Cake -- have you ever made that? :) Yum.

Latte Lady said...

I bought the ingredients to make this for some friends who were coming over this weekend. When the plans changed and no friends were coming over I was disappointed. I decided to make them for my family as a treat. I am so glad I did! Wow! My family loved them!!! What a great recipe.

Thanks!

Barbara said...

Thanks for visiting my site, Ingrid. I'm in South Fl.-Boca Raton. Love your recipes and I will check back often!

amanda said...

they look soooo good!

Abby said...

Brownies are one of my all-time fave sweets. I'd have never guessed they were "wrong" if you hadn't said so. They looks so good!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Found your blog through your comment on Best Bites...
At our house, we call these Mississippi Mud brownies and they are a FAVORITE!! And I always do the fudgy brownies and usually with a dark chocolate mix. YUM! :)

Anonymous said...

My mom use to make these when I was young. My new husband LOVES pinwheels (which I think are gross) so I made these for him. Thank you for bringing back memories.