Sunday, September 6, 2009

Raspberry Lime Tea Cakes

DSC02138If you’ll remember Monica and I have been baking our way through Martha Stewart’s Cupcake cookbook.  Our previous two cupcakes were a cookies and cream cheesecake and a black forest cupcake

DSC02143

This go round was Monica’s choice and I couldn’t have been happier when she chose the Strawberry Jam Tea Cakes.  I was worried she’d go for something chocolaty and I’d had my fill of chocolate with the black forest cupcakes.  The original recipe called for a strawberry filling and orange flavored glaze but I chose to go a different route.  One of the first blogs I started reading was Elle’s New England Kitchen. If you’ve read her blog a time or two you might have picked up on her love of raspberry and lime together.  Until these tea cakes I’ve had it lingering in the back of my mind.  I’m thrilled to say that raspberry and lime taste great together though I don’t think it beats my blackberry and lemon combo.

DSC02149

Notice anything about the above photo?  The raspberry preserves SUNK!  What the heck is going on?  Everything keeps sinking on me!  Monica said I should rename my blog, “my fruit sinks”!  :)

DSC02147

A lot of you have Martha’s cookbook so I’m not going to give you the recipe.  You can find it on page 117  if you’re interested in trying  it.  (My changes were to use raspberry preserves for the strawberry jam and to use lime zest and juice instead orange.) The recipe makes more than what it said it does.  I got 18 tea cakes and I overfilled my muffins tins.  So, if you’d like to make the recipe but not the whole thing here’s the link to the online recipe at Martha’s. The online recipe says it makes only 6 tea cakes but that has to be wrong as it’s half of the book’s recipe and the book says it makes 16 tea cakes.  I’m thinking the magic number is 10.  Another thing to be aware of is my tea cakes baked in less than 3o minutes. More like 20 though I only baked one pan at time.

sept 61

If you wanna see some terrific photos of these tea cakes hop over to Monica’s, blog!  Not only will they be better but she usually has some interesting ones.

Technorati Tags: ,,

46 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those look delicious! A wonderful combo!

Cheers,

Rosa

Monica H said...

I'm sorry I was late in posting my tea cakes! Please forgive me.

I love the collage of photots- so cool!

I'm sorry your fruit sunk again. Maybe the cupcake you choose won't involves baked fruit...what will it be?

I'm glad you enjoyed the cupcakes, I look forward to baking some more with you!

oneordinaryday said...

The collage turned out great. I love that you can show so much of what you were doing. Sorry about the sinking fruit. Big deal if you have to serve them upside down. I bet they tasted great with that flavor combination.

I can't wait till you guys get to the ice cream cone cupcakes. Mine were a mess so I want to see someone do it right!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Those two flavors are fantastic when combined!

Heidi said...

I'm allergic to raspberry, so it would be strawberry for me!

Jana said...

oh that looks marvelous, I love citrus berry combos, I am thinking maybe if the batter was a bit fluffier then the fruit may not sink...maybe if you whipped it for a sec and got some air in it, it would hold the berry jam up...I don't know I am just still trying to figure that out.

Anonymous said...

Oh these look and sound fantastic. I just love lime in baking.
Ingrid, you won 2 coupons on my website for OOBA sparkling beverages!! Please email me at holistic_nutrition@hotmail.com with your mailing address so I can send them to you!
All the best, Amanda @ Nourish

teresa said...

GORGEOUS! I love lime in just about anything!

The Food Librarian said...

These look lovely! They look refreshing and yummy.

Reeni said...

I love these flavors! I wouldn't care about the fruit sinking - I bet they are really yummy anyways!!

Kerstin said...

That picture of the cupcake with the frosting melting over the side is making my mouth water - they look so good! Raspberry and lime sound like a yummy combo.

Maris said...

I don't know how but these look refreshing AND decadent at the same time!

grace said...

see, i wouldn't mind for a second that the fruit sank. on the top you've got that awesome glaze, so the bottom needs something to make it more special. enter the jam--now it's the perfect little bite. :)

Lori said...

They look delicious whther the fruit sank or not.

Have you checked your oven temperature lately? Maybe the bottom is not setting fast enough before the fruit heats and becomes like a sinker. Or maybe try lowering the rack to the next level. Just a thought.

Smitten Sugar said...

Yumm...these looks amazing. I saw these in the book and thought they looked delicious. Sorry your fruis sunk again...but the pictures look good and I am sure they tasted amazing!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

They sound great! I ♥ that Martha! :)

Debbie said...

Those look delicious and the combo sounds great. I also saw Monica's tea cakes....I would just love one of each (or two, or three....)

Pam said...

These look amazing! I could eat way too many of these beauties.

The Blonde Duck said...

Great tea cakes!

Katy ~ said...

Drat on the sinking cupcakes! The combo sounds super good though!

Abby said...

My fruit always sinks, too. I have no idea why! We gotta figure this out!

Eliana said...

Even though they sunk they still loo super cute.

Megan said...

They look awesome! Love the flavor combo!

April said...

I love rasp/lime combo!! Sorry that your fruit sunk, but they still look wonderful! I have heard good things about this book, maybe I will have to put it on my wish list!

Amanda said...

These are sooooo drool worthy!

Faith said...

These are really lovely and look incredibly flavorful. I've actually never paired raspberry and lime, but I can definitely see how that combination would work. And I am with you 100% on the blackberry/lemon combo...fantastic!

avesta said...

I love berries with citrus...these look so good!

Jamie said...

These look so delicious, Ingrid!

Justin said...

eh, who cares about the bottoms... the sound so yummy

Maria said...

Love these! Great creation!

Unknown said...

These cupcakes look great! And have you tried rolling the fruits i flour before adding? That always prevents any sinking for me!

Jo said...

Even if it "sinks" it looks good to me. I guess better than it sinks and still taste delicious, then totally "suck" altogether :P

RecipeGirl said...

Oh Yum! My son would love these - very kid friendly :) Baking your way through the cupcake book?? Sounds like a delicious project!

Palidor said...

They look yummy, especially with that glaze on top!

Robin said...

Sinking fruit is ok by me, still tastes good right? I like the raspberry with lime too!

Anonymous said...

Yummy treats! I can see you are still baking up a storm...I'll be back often for recipes :-)

Miranda said...

This looks phenominal!!!!
I love it!!
You always have the best recipes!!!

I adore your site..

Brianna said...

I'm not a fan of raspberry, BUT these look DELISH!!! My grandmother would love these.. Adding to my list of things to make!

Donna-FFW said...

I absolutely love how these sound Ingrid!

Claudia said...

I think sunken fruit is a new trend. I also love the flavors and will go the rasperry- or strawberry lime route - why not live dangerous and try both? Tea cakes. It is so civilized.

Peabody said...

Well I love lime and raspberry together, so I know I would love these.

James | Postcard Printing said...

I love raspberry because it's delicious. I love the way you cook that Raspberry Lime Tea Cake. The outpouring lime tea makes it more appealing.

Anonymous said...

Lime + raspberry is delicious. YUM!

Lynn said...

That lime glaze looks to die for!

vanillasugarblog said...

oh these do sound so good. I love raspberry so much and am sad that summer is going away...

A & W said...

MMM I do love tea cakes and Martha's Cupcake book, I should get to making these. Awesome pictures!
-Whitney