Saturday, February 7, 2009

Meyer lemons & what to make?

DSC00937 Earlier this month I raved about a great "grocery" store I found called The Fresh Market.  In that post I mentioned that I finally found and bought meyer lemons.  Yay, now what to make!?  There are an amazing amount of lemon recipes floating out there, several of which I thought to try. (click here to see a meyer lemon recipe round up which I didn't find until after I used my lemons!) The problem I kept running into was that I didn't buy enough lemons.  I only bought three!  One of the things I thought to make but was secretly glad I didn't have enough lemons for was lemon curd!  (click to see the gorgeous lemon curd by Sweet Charity Pie) It goes back to being a scaredy cat baker!  During the course of my "research" there was recipe that I couldn't shake. It was Ina Garten's Lemon Yogurt  Cake  that I had previously seen on a few blogs (in 2008).  The blog, Picky Cook had made a grapefruit version of Ina's recipe and while I wasn't using grapefruits I couldn't get her photos out of my head.

Meyer Lemon Yogurt Cake and mixed emotions.  I'm not certain how I feel  about it.  While the recipe was easy enough  I did have to adjust a few things in order to make it.  Unfortunately, I didn't have extra large eggs and  I didn't have the full amount of plain yogurt.  (lesson learned... read recipes slowly and carefully!)  Because I have grown some what as a baker, I forged on and made what I thought was the best adjustments.  They were as follows instead of three extra large eggs I used four large ones.  For the 8 ounces of plain yogurt I used 6 ounces and added 2 ounces of sour cream. Feeling proud of myself I completed the recipe and had a taste once it cooled and was glazed!  Nope, didn't really like it.  I'm not sure why. It was very moist, almost overly so.  As for the kids they ate it, no complaints and one of the Twins really enjoyed DSC00940it. He made certain to eat his share which is unusual for him as he often only gives my desserts a try leaving the lions' share for his twin. Day two, I cut myself a tiny sliver, taste, okay, this is not bad.  I cut myself a bigger slice.  Day three, hmm, there's still a slice left albeit a thick one, cut it in half, taste. Hey, this is actually really good.  Weird, did my changes noticeably effect the outcome or is this one of those desserts that needs to sit for a day or so before you eat it?  Okay, I just remembered I might have made another booboo.  I read somewhere that if you'd like a pretty seam on top of your cakes baked in a loaf pan take a knife and run it down the center.  I tried the tip; again, I don't know if it was my adjustments to the recipe but the seam while pretty did not rise up above the pan until much later during the course of its baking time. Instead the edges did which (I think) lead to their over browning!  In order to truly see if it was me or not.  I need to make this again following the recipe!

DSC00983Here's a photo of my babygirl...check out her sleeve thingies (not sure what they're called).  When I asked how everyone liked her outfit she said that they liked the "sleeves" best.  She's a trendsetter! LOL!

 

 

LiveJournal Tags: ,

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious -- and your daughter is adorable! Mine has some of those faux sleeves, too, lol! I have a baby Meyer Lemon tree that is blooming -- I can't wait to try them!

angie said...

That cake looks good, and really nice pics of it too! I made lemon pies the other day and haven't posted any pictures yet, they're so bad. Oh well, I may post them anyway.

You're daughter is so pretty, and I like her outfit! Now I'm trying to remember all the trendy stuff I wore as a kid!

Donna-FFW said...

I wish I had local access to Meyer lemons, I envy that!! Your daughter is beautiful. So pretty! I love Ina Gartens Lemon Cake.. I make her original one, without he yogurt, calls for buttermilk. Soooo gooood! Freezes well too. Actualy tastes better after frozen a month and defrosted for some odd reason.

Anonymous said...

Ah, dear, I too have always been a scaredy-cat baker! But each time I do something scary and it comes out prefect (I also recently made lemon curd for the first time) I say to myself "now what was so hard about that?" and it inspires me to do more! This lemon cake is beautiful. It looks so moist and luscious!

Tina Butler said...

Omygoodness Ingred that Lemon Yogurt Cake looks so good and so moist. I was just googling for a lemon yogurt bread of some sort. I am going to try this out. I have homemade plain yogurt to use up so this is perfect. Thanks for stopping by Mommmys Kitche. I love hearing from new readers. I like your blog, great job.

Reeni said...

It certainly looks real good! I am finding that a lot of baked goods I make taste better the next day, like muffins and banana breads. I don't know what the reason is behind it, maybe the flavors have time to develop? I have a pair of those sleeve things attached to fingerless gloves, I wear them at the grocery store, it's sooo cold in there. She's beautiful!!

Sara said...

I make Ina Garten's regular lemon cake when Meyer lemons are in season, and it's swoon worthy. I tried this yogurt cake once, and it just wasn't as good. I think I remember the texture being a little gummy.

Your daughter is so cute!

Picky Cook said...

The cake looks lovely - nice job. Your daughter is beautiful!

Bridget said...

What a beautiful girl!!!

Jodi said...

Ingrid, the pictures look great! I love desserts with lemon in them too!

Your little girl is so cute and I love the arm "warmers." I don't know what to call them either, but I've seen a lot of leg warmers lately for kids and I have been wanting to get Leah some. There's some cute ones on Etsy...love that site!

Let's see, you asked about the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?" and I'm too lazy to go into my email (sorry!) but I think it's a great movie...a lot of funny one-liners. It's PG-13 but there is a lot of swearing but I guess it's to be expected since it's a movie about jailbirds! There's some good toe tapping music in it too! :)

Tomorrow another movie quote is coming up!

CM said...

The cake looks yummy! I'm a sucker for glazed baked goods... Too bad it wasn't really what you were looking for. Your adjustments could have had something to do with how your loaf rose. Large eggs and extra-large are basically interchangeable until you need more than four, so likely you had a little too much liquid in the batter.
Definitely make the lemon curd sometime- I know it seems like it'd be complicated (for me, once you throw a candy thermometer in the mix, I get the fear), but it's not that bad- just requires an attention span and a medium to good whisk arm :)
As for your daughter's sleeves, I used to call them gauntlets... but that was about 10 years ago, so the name may have changed. Cute outfit!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look great!

Heather said...

how cute is your little one?! she's gonna be a heartbreaker one day!! that cake looks good, too. sometimes i am sorta ambivalent about lemon cakes, too - they're sorta one note sometimes. i like the yogurt and meyer lemons together in this one, though!

grace said...

what a purty little lady!
meanwhile, i love the fresh market and miss it very much. i also love moist, lemony pound cake...but then, who doesn't? :)

Anonymous said...

It looks good I bet it was good. Sorry I didn't get to taste it! it needed to cool and I had to leave!
Mckenna you look beautiful!

avesta said...

Your daughter is so beautiful! And I love Fresh Market! Wish we had one here in Omaha!!!! I miss going there!

Anonymous said...

This is such a pretty cake- I love lemons and lemon desserts.

Monica H said...

I've made this before and I had similar feelings. At first I didn't like it, then it grew on me. I think what I didn't like was the overwhelming tart/sweetness from the glazes. But the cake itself is great.

I'm actually making this again this week, but I'm using oranges and tangerines instead if the lemons for my mom.

Your daughter is such a sweetie!

Hayley said...

Thanks for the link, I'm glad you finely found the roundup, as there are so many delicious recipe included. The cake looks wonderfully moist, and with all the raves about it, I must try it soon. Thanks for sharing, and your daughter is too cute!

a quiet life said...

great blog, as far as my eyes can see, sugar!

Maria said...

Lemon desserts are my favorite!! Your daughter is such a cutie!

cindy* said...

sometimes i feel the same about cakes like this...the flavors need time to meld or something. and how cute is your daughter!

Pam said...

This looks delicious - I just happen to have some meyer lemons on hand.

Lori said...

Hmmmm, it looks delicious to me! Now if only I could find Meyer Lemons around here... Still looking.

Anonymous said...

I think that looks really good! Definitely seems like it turned out nice and moist. Wonder if I could find Meyer Lemons here?

Thanks for finding my new blog...had to delete my other blog because the name of it was attracting a bunch of weirdos to my site through google. That and my boys didn't really want their entire lives on a blog...I respected that. Now I am excited because I can focus on food and books....my two favorite things:-)

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks so moist and delicious! Sorry it didn't turn out like you had hoped. I can never ever find Meyer lemons here.
Oh those sleeve thingies are quite popular here too - like leg warmers for your arms :) Great picture of your girl!

Bunny said...

I love lemon, I would scarf this up in a heart beat! Babygirl is beautiful and will be a lovely young lady, her father will be sitting at the door with a baseball bat to greet her boyfriends!!LOL!!

Aimée said...

We love lemon cake around here! The glaze is so pretty, Ingrid.

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn't like it. It certainly looks perfectly delicious.

jesse said...

Mmm, that looks super moist and delicious! And your daughter is just too cute!

AmyRuth said...

I wish I had a piece of your cake right now. Looks beautiful and moist. I saw a lemon tart on Smitten Kitchen and wished for meyer lemons just for fun. It can be made with regular ones but where's the fun in that? Anyway my first visit here and I like your food it looks way to yummy for me.
AmyRuth

Ceres said...

I <3 Meyer Lemons! I bet this would be amazing served with a berry sorbet.

test it comm said...

That lemon cake looks nice and moist and good!

Debbie said...

That lemon cake looks delicious. I made one recently and would like to try yours. Have to find some Meyer lemons first though!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a great moist cake! I love anything citrusy!

cheers,

Rosa

Emily said...

I think the cake sounds delicious. I'm a big fan of Meyer lemons. And the kids liked it too, so it sounds like a winner to me.

Sandie said...

I like Meyer lemons as well. Now for something you'll really like, try Meyer lemon margaritas sometime. To die for!

Anonymous said...

Looks out it turned out really well with your adjustments. Been thinking about making lemon bars too :)

Susan @ SGCC said...

Ina's lemon cake is one of my favorites! It literally flies off the plate at my house. Your adjustments seemed to work fine. Your cake looks awesome!

Rosie said...

WOW a great lemony cake- I adore citrus flavours.

Rosie x