Friday, February 20, 2009

Banana cake w/praline filling and white chocolate ganache frosting

You may have recognized the title as the cake that the group The Cake Slice  made and revealed at the end of January.  After  drooling over the photos, reading the name of it, and hearing how wonderful it was I was convinced I need to take the plunge and try my hand at the cake.  Except for the Snickerdoodle cake it would be my most  from scratch cake. 

banana cakeI followed the recipe as this was not the time to try modifying anything . Overall everything went smoothly.  My one and only mishap was over beating the whip cream after I added in the white chocolate.  

This is another one of those desserts I have mixed emotions on.  On Tuesday when I tried it, well, lets just say if it wasn't because it would have killed me to toss out a whole cake I wouldn't even have mixed emotions.  That first night it was flat out NOT good.  I couldn't have been more disappointed.  I had made the cake layers on Sunday, on Monday I candied the nuts, and on Tuesday made the frosting and put it all together.  I think  I should have made the nuts first then the layers, and while the layers were cooling the frosting & filling.  Oh, well.  Anyway the following day the kids and sitter tried the cake and liked enough to finish most of it up.  On the third day remembering my experience with Ina's Lemon Yogurt Cake I decided to give it another go.  It was edible.  It was okay and I could tell that it had potential but it still wasn't something the impressive cake delish cake I was hoping for.  I actually have the third layer that I froze right away instead of using.  I'm going to give the frosting and filling another go but with a few changes.  Lindsey at Cafe Johnsonia wrote me a great email detailing how I might have gone wrong and what I could do the next time.  I had left her a comment on her post of this cake telling her of my dilemma.  Maybe at a later date I might try the cake itself again.

banana cake2

Btw, notice the improved photography?  Nice, right?!  The children's sitter and my official taste tester, Karolyn took the photos.  I took some too but deleted them after she sent me hers.   She rocks!

**Thanks for all the get well wishes.  I'm not 100% but I am feeling A LOT better!!!!!

Post a Comment