Friday, February 20, 2009

Banana cake w/praline filling and white chocolate ganache frosting

You may have recognized the title as the cake that the group The Cake Slice  made and revealed at the end of January.  After  drooling over the photos, reading the name of it, and hearing how wonderful it was I was convinced I need to take the plunge and try my hand at the cake.  Except for the Snickerdoodle cake it would be my most  from scratch cake. 

banana cakeI followed the recipe as this was not the time to try modifying anything . Overall everything went smoothly.  My one and only mishap was over beating the whip cream after I added in the white chocolate.  

This is another one of those desserts I have mixed emotions on.  On Tuesday when I tried it, well, lets just say if it wasn't because it would have killed me to toss out a whole cake I wouldn't even have mixed emotions.  That first night it was flat out NOT good.  I couldn't have been more disappointed.  I had made the cake layers on Sunday, on Monday I candied the nuts, and on Tuesday made the frosting and put it all together.  I think  I should have made the nuts first then the layers, and while the layers were cooling the frosting & filling.  Oh, well.  Anyway the following day the kids and sitter tried the cake and liked enough to finish most of it up.  On the third day remembering my experience with Ina's Lemon Yogurt Cake I decided to give it another go.  It was edible.  It was okay and I could tell that it had potential but it still wasn't something the impressive cake delish cake I was hoping for.  I actually have the third layer that I froze right away instead of using.  I'm going to give the frosting and filling another go but with a few changes.  Lindsey at Cafe Johnsonia wrote me a great email detailing how I might have gone wrong and what I could do the next time.  I had left her a comment on her post of this cake telling her of my dilemma.  Maybe at a later date I might try the cake itself again.

banana cake2

Btw, notice the improved photography?  Nice, right?!  The children's sitter and my official taste tester, Karolyn took the photos.  I took some too but deleted them after she sent me hers.   She rocks!

**Thanks for all the get well wishes.  I'm not 100% but I am feeling A LOT better!!!!!

35 comments:

angie said...

It may not have tasted great to you, but it sure does look good!

Glad you're feeling better!

CM said...

It looks dreamy! Too bad it wasn't as tasty as it looks.
Ah well, better luck next time...
I have to make more cakes- would love to collaborate on a cake post sometime :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, a delicious combination! This cake looks fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

I think it's fair to say that most of us have been there with something that we've made. It looks like it will taste amazing but when you take a bit it's mostly just taste like a big disappointment.

Here's the thing though: making this cake wasn't for not. I this world of baking, especially for folks like us that are not professional bakers, there are still lessons to be learned that you can apply to the next cake that you make.

I'm sorry it wasn't the superstar that you were hoping for but I bet the next from-scratch cake you make will be that much better because of it.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Donna-FFW said...

Ingrid- I know youre gonna hate me, but please go pick up something for yourself at my blog.. I just had to.. cake looks pretty anyway.. Love layers!

The Food Librarian said...

This looks great! I didn't end up making this one...sorry it wasn't your favorite, but it does look snazzy!

Heather said...

so many amazing flavors in one post!!! i don't think my tastebuds can handle it!!

Heather said...

i'm sorry you didn't love the cake, though. i know how that feels, when you make something with so many great flavors, but together they don't work. the idea still has me drooling, though!

Anonymous said...

I wish I like bananas in baked goods more than I do. That sounds and looks great!

Reeni said...

I'm sorry you didn't like it that much. It really looks gorgeous! I have been craving banana cake for a week or two now, the combo of praline filling and white chocolate with bananas sounds really scrumptious!

test it comm said...

This cake looks and sounds so amazing!

Bunny said...

I hope you do try it again with your adaptions and then share it with us! It does look good Ingrid!

Anonymous said...

First of all, I am so glad you are feeling better. Second of all, good for you for trying such a beautiful cake. Even if it didn't taste good you did a great job. Keep trying.

grace said...

it looks lovely, although i must say that i got a kick out of the fact that you referred to it as "edible." not quite a rave review, eh? :)

Lisa said...

Love it or not, that cake LOOKS deee-vine! I'm literally drooling :P

On another note (No, not A-Rod and his dang steroids *sigh*), I'm passing an award to you! You can get it here :D http://lisamichele.wordpress.com/2009/02/22/black-sesame-lace-cookies-or-candy-and-an-award/

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, but sorry you didn't like your cake.

Maria said...

The cake looks beautiful! Sorry it wasn't a favorite!

Sandie said...

I know I should be commenting on the cake at hand, but you have a sitter who takes great food photos too? How lucky you are.

Aimée said...

It looks really good, and the description rocks,too, but I'll take your word on it.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Boy does this dessert look good! Love the photos too!

Pam said...

Now that is my kind of cake. It looks delicious and pretty. Glad you are feeling better.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Good to see you're back at the oven! :D I bookmarked this cake when I saw it on EVERY blog I read. Lol! Yours looks great!

Stephanie said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better!! This cake looks delicious, I've never made a WHITE chocolate ganache... sounds spectacular.

Jaime said...

banana and praline? what a delightful combo!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, this is a yummy looking cake. Love the flavors, banana cake is delicious. The layers looks absolutely moist and decadent! Very pretty, indeed!

Sara said...

I'm sorry you didn't love it, I just hate it when that happens. It's so frustrating!

Deborah said...

Sorry you didn't really like it - it was one of my favorites! It looks great though!

Monica H said...

This looks delicious. You did a great job. Sorry it wasn't better. There's nothing more disappointing than spending a lot of time of something and the flavor not delivering.

Selba said...

The cake doesn't taste good?

Dewi said...

The cake look fabulous, sounds really great with praline filling and white chocolate ganache. That is pretty fancy banana cake, no?
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that the cake didn't go well. It's always frustrating to put that much work into something, and have it be a flop.

It's a bit after the fact, but if you overwhip your cream, you can add a couple splashes of un-whipped cream to it and whip it some more. The unwhipped cream will "fix" the overwhipped cream. (Overwhipped cream happens fairly frequently in professional bakeries- you put the cream on, then start doing something else, then, boom! Your cream is toast. This trick totally saves the day.)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I'M JOINING THE CAKE SLICE! :P

Anonymous said...

Im still trying to perfect my own cake recipes :), the flavors sound delicious in this cake, though. It looks flawless to me!

Anonymous said...

I don't know, that sounds like a pretty incredible combination of flavors to me!

Hayley said...

This cake sounds incredible, and your pictures just keep getting better and better. Banana is one of my favorite flavors. I love what it does to baked goods. Thanks for sharing!