Sunday, October 4, 2009

Snickerdoodle Blossoms

These are  the first “cookies” I’ve made in YEARS if you don’t count the pizzookies. They are most likely the closest thing to cookies you’ll see on here, too.  While I like cookies they aren’t my favorite which is probably why I think they are a lot of work for just a little payoff.  

DSC01864

I first lusted after these beauties when I saw them on Monica's blog but it was seeing Denise's version of them, baked up in a mini muffin pan that gave me the final push to make them.  I suppose with my love of all things snickerdoodle-y, it isn’t a huge surprise that this would be the “cookie” to get me out of my “no cookie baking” funk.   :)

DSC01865

I know a few of you (April & Megan) are already thinking about what you are going to put on your holiday cookie tray this year and I think these should be considered.  They really aren’t difficult and they are VERY good!

DSC01873 

Snickerdoodle Blossoms 

  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 48 milk chocolate candy kisses, unwrapped

Heat oven to 375°F.

Combine the 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and butter in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add egg, vanilla extract and salt; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. If dough is too soft, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour. (Don’t be lazy like me, refrigerate the dough! It makes it much easier to work with!!)Combine the 1/4 cup sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl. (On the 2nd batch I mixed some turbinado sugar with cinnamon and rolled the dough in it. I loved the crunch it added.) Roll dough balls in cinnamon sugar mixture.

Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.* Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until very lightly golden brown. Immediately press 1 chocolate kiss in center of each cookie and sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar over them while they're still warm. (Duh, I forgot to sprinkle my 1st batch but did the 2nd.  In case you’re wondering the 2nd batch tasted better!) Remove from cookie sheets; cool completely on a wire rack.

Makes 4 or 5 dozen.

DSC01862*Instead of the cookie sheets I put the rolled dough into a Pam sprayed mini muffin pan.  I won’t tell you how long I baked mine as I didn’t do a very good of job rolling my dough into a 1 inch size or even getting them all the same size.  I also like my cookies very soft so I took them out as soon as they looked done to me.   I think you’d be fine using Monica’s bake time for the regular cookies.

*********************************************************

If you haven’t checked out this post you’ll miss out on a chance to win your own handy dandy Microplane nutmeg grater!

Post a Comment