Sunday, October 25, 2009

Banana Bread

DSC02373

I’m sure that most of you have a “go to” banana bread recipe but I hadn’t been  fortunate to find one until now.  As a matter of fact I’ve made many an unsuccessful recipe before this one.  Sadly all of my recipe attempts have been over browned and undercooked but not this one.  This one was perfection. 

DSC02375

For months now every time I mentioned banana bread Monica told me about this terrific recipe she had  (She got the recipe from Dawn at Vanilla Sugar.)  and even when Monica told me this recipe converted her from being a banana bread hater I just nodded yeah, yeah and never made a move.  I’m kicking myself now for waiting so long to give it a try.  Learn from my mistakes.  :)

DSC02380

I followed the recipe but baked four mini loaves instead of one large one.  Although I didn’t alter the recipe I did kick things up a notch with two of the mini loaves.  You ready?  I swirled in some left over caramel  from this caramel corn recipe and topped one of the caramel loaves with walnuts!  While the caramel ones were beyond good, the plain ones were also very good so don’t think you have to “supe” this up.  Three out of four loaves were gobbled up before the end of day and the fourth went to our football commissioner as “just because”.

DSC02382

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread 

  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
  • 3 tbsp. sour cream
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional) I left these out!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl with an electric mixer or a spoon, cream shortening and sugar together. Beat in eggs one at a time; then mashed bananas, sour cream, and lemon juice.

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet mixture, then fold in chocolate chips. Pour into greased and floured 9x5x3 loaf pan. Bake for 60 minutes.

NOTE: If your bread is getting too dark, loosely cover bread with foil. I did this for the last 15 minutes of baking time.

DSC02384

I did have one tiny issue with my bread though it wasn’t due to the recipe.  It was with  my addition of caramel.   My caramel sunk to the bottom and some of it stuck to the pan. (Check out my bottom photo.  I scrapped out the caramel bits and hid them from the kids.  They were THAT good!) My first mistake was swirling it in which gave it a head start to the bottom.  The next time I’ll try layering in the caramel and see if that keeps it from diving straight to the bottom.  I’m not sure I could have kept the caramel from sticking but next time I’ll remove the bread after its cooled 10 minutes and allow it to finish cooling on a rack. My last change……more walnuts.  I added what I thought was plenty but once the bread started baking up I realized it really wasn’t. 

DSC02387

DSC02395

DSC02414

***************************************************

Those of you who have read my blog a few times know that the Twins are super active and play various sports and you may also remember that Babygirl was cheerleading this year. WELLLLL, Devon’s Jr. Midget football team went 8-0 in the regular season!  They were the first team in the FOURTEEN years of our league’s history to go undefeated! As a matter of fact they won their conference in back to back years, another first!  One of the things I may not have mentioned was that Babygirl was cheering for her brother’s team.  WELLLLL, Babygirl’s squad won first place in the Mid-Florida cheerleading competition this weekend!  Not only were they competing against girls a couple of years older than them, half their squad has never cheered before, Babygirl included.  Both Winter Springs Jr. Midgets football team and cheerleaders were winners this season!  Unfortunately, the boys lost their first playoff game but they did have a good run.

Here are photos of my two in their uniforms!

devons football 001 mckenna cheerleading 001

Technorati Tags: ,,,

64 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Gorgeous banana breads! Your kids look very cute in their outfits!

Cheers,

Rosa

Lynn said...

First off, congratulations to both your kids on a great season. Gooooo team! That is super.

And your banana bread looks awesome. It's interesting it has lemon juice in it; I'd love to hear if you could actually taste it. It sounds like it'd be good.

Monica H said...

Lynn, I know you didn't ask me, but no you can't taste the lemon juice at all. It's just plain delicious!

Ingrid, So you mean to tell me my words were going through one ear and out the other all this time?

I'm so glad you made these. Your banana bread looks so good with that caramel and those crunchy walnuts. YuM! You could always drizzle the caramel over the loaves once they're done baking. That would be so stinkin' good. I still love that pic of the pans :-)

Congrats to the kiddos- that's so awesome! woo hoo!

Julie said...

Beautiful kids! The banana bread sounds awesome, hubby is the banana bread king around here, so I never make it. I'll have to slip this recipe to him!

lisa @ dandysugar said...

What gorgeous kids!! Congrats on a great season!
The banana bread looks fantastic- reading through that recipe, it must be so moist with the sour cream too. I love your addition of caramel. Sounds decadent!

ann low said...

Your banana bread looks good and your kids look smart in their outfits :D

♥peachkins♥ said...

these are gorgeous banana bread, Ingrid. My mom only makes plain banana bread because she doesn't want anything on her banana bread.

Lorie said...

Your children are beautfiul! Congrats on their achievements. I remember the days of going from sports activity to sports activity and although it can be hectic, it is SO much fun! You're making memories that will last a lifetime and they'll always remember you being there to support them.

Lorie said...

I forgot to tell you that your banana bread looks scrumptious. I especially like that first picture-looks very professional!

grace said...

banana bread with a caramel swirl? why, oh why have i never thought to do this? it makes perfect sense! lovely loaves, and your kiddos are precious!

Debbie said...

Congrats to Babygirl! Both the kids are adorable! The banana bread looks great. I know I will have to try it. I just made one this past Friday that was a Starbucks recipe and it was pretty good also. I'll be posting it too. I love banana bread and never get tired of trying different recipes for it! Thanks Ingrid!

Miranda said...

Ingrid,
Your children are beautiful. i am so upset that I did not get a chance to meet everyone.

I made bread this weekend from a book a bought: The Bread Bakers Bible.

Awesome bread! =)

Valerie said...

I don't have a tried and true banana bread recipe so I'll be happy to try this one. The walnut-studded loaf looks amazing and with caramel....Oh, my! Sounds like a great addition.

And congrats to your children! They look so happy in those pics.

Maria said...

I never get sick of banana bread! A classic! Congrats to your kids!! Thanks for sharing their photos! They are darling.

Anonymous said...

Banana bread with caramel? Where do I sign up? :P

Barbara said...

I've got a great banana bread recipe but like the idea of adding chocolate chips. The caramel idea is good too- must have been fun eating all that gooey chewy caramel in the bottom of the pan!
Great looking kids!

Palidor said...

Awww, what adorable kids you got! Love the purple in the uniform. The banana bread looks sooo tasty! I'd definitely go for the caramel one.

oneordinaryday said...

Beautiful pics of the kids, Ingrid, and that bread's none too shabby either. Especially that loaf all studded with nuts and caramel. Yummy.

Jelli said...

Lookin' good! My brother-in-law just asked me this weekend to make his favorite: banana bread. I'll have to bookmark this recipe and try it out. I love that this uses shortening, so inexpenisive and helps the bread keep firm.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous kids! The bread looks and sounds amazing too.

Ann (Healthy Tasty Chow) said...

Sour cream does wonders for banana bread for some reason- I hadn't found the perfect recipe until my new neighbor brought us a loaf- it was amazing and sour cream was the secret ingredient! Congratulations to your children! So nice that they both can be a part of something special together.

The Blonde Duck said...

Congrats to your kiddos!

And caramel and chocolate in anything is divine!

Emily said...

Aww your babies are cute! Those are great pictures of them.

The bread looks really, really good too. It looks perfect.

Mimi said...

Congrats to your talented kiddos. I love their pictures.
Your banana bread looks fantastic. This is the same recipe that I've been using for year. Now I have to add the caramel. Great twist on a fantastic recipe.
Mimi

Hilary said...

Banana bread is one of those things that I never experiment with because I am so happy with my go-to recipe. That being said, I love your "fancy" take on it!

Your kids are going to be very, very good looking adults :)

teresa said...

what adorable kids, congrats to both of them. and the bread sounds incredible, i love banana bread!

Faith said...

What cute kids! Congrats to them on their amazing season.

Your banana bread sounds great, and I love the addition of walnuts. My mom always adds walnuts to hers too.

Mini Baker said...

yum! its all about banana bread come this time of year! :)

Katy ~ said...

Yummm... banana bread! One of our favorites.

Your children are beautiful. I am so heartened to hear children doing well!

thank you for your kind words to me that you left on my blog. It means a lot to me to call you friend.

Pam said...

Your banana bread looks so delicious. I wish I could have a slice right now.

Congrats to your twins.

Heather said...

cute kiddies! love the breat!! mmm.

The Crepes of Wrath said...

Om nom nom I would eat all of that delicious caramel!

Abby said...

First, GORGEOUS kiddos! I can tell you're super proud of them!

Second, I love chocolate and banana. LOVE it. I need to get some mini loaf pans!

Reeni said...

Yay for your kids! Love the pictures! Your daughter glows!

I don't have a good banana bread recipe! Next time I'm in the mood I'll have to try this. But like you it's hard for me to make recipes as is. I love the caramel and walnuts!

Lori said...

The kids are beautiful. I know you are so proud!

I was thinking of you while watching the Yankees game. A-Rod is in the ZONE!

AN dfunny you should mention banana bread I have a pile of ripe bananas right over there.

And I have not forgotten about sending you that recipe... I will.

Anonymous said...

OT

Hi! Congratulations for your blog! I'm Andrea, an Italian guy who created and managed a Food&Drinks blog.
What do you think about a link exchange? :)

Sorry for my bad English! ;)

Ricette Blog

Coleens Recipes said...

Funny thing about quick bread recipes, even though I have my favorites, I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for a new good one. Your kids are beautiful.

vanillasugarblog said...

thank you for the shout out girlie!
sorry the caramel sank. maybe next time put it on the top with the crunchy bits about halfway in between baking? you know? just a thought.

Robin said...

Ingrid that is great news about your childrean's accomplishments- you are one proud mamma! The pics of the kids are very cute too. Anything made by Dawn has to be good and I loved how you kicked things up a notch (just like her) and added caramel. I think I will try dulce de leche in my banana bread some time because I ate all of my leftover caramel one spoonful at a time! Hehe.

Dandy said...

I've never easlly tried a banana bread recipe that I've loved. I'll have to try this.

Your kids are gorgeous. How awesome that they've both had such a good year!

Steph said...

I'm glad you found your favourite! My favourite is the Silver Palate recipe. I think the addition of lemon juice is interesting. I'm going to have to give that a try next time. I love that you added caramel, yum!

Donna-FFW said...

So glad you are now a lover of at least this banana bread. Now you must try the banana cake with cream cheese frosting on my blog, holy crap thats good stuff.

You have beautiful, happy children.

Jana said...

Is it wrong for me to come here and complain that I really want banana bread and that your kids are so dang cute I want to squeeze them and it just aint fair. Cuz I said. I have the hardest time clicking your links because I know you were just overachieving in your kitchen...I know it...Imjustsayin...it always makes me A) jealous
B) Hungry
C) thankful
I know you work hard mama, thanks for your loveliness...

Jaime said...

I'll take a caramel one, thanks :) I love caramel!

Kerstin said...

Congrats to your kiddos, they look great in their uniforms!

Awesome idea to put caramel on top of the banana bread - yum! I so want a mini loaf pan.

Miranda said...

Hi my dear Ingrid,
I left you three awards at my site!!! ENJOY!!!!

Megan said...

What a great season for you guys. Congrats. Those crispy pieces look very good. I should make banana bread with my dying bananas but it really isnt my favorite. :( Will this recipe transform me???

Anonymous said...

Your little ones are PRECIOUS !...Wow..you've got twins ! With both babies I had I always wished for twins..until the 20wks scan proved otherwise... how luck you are....I love the outfits too. Especially the little cheerleader...she's gorgeous !....Can't wait to see my girls all grown up like that...

& now about that banana bread ! My Goodness Ingrid..that is so gorgeous it could be a decadent desert...this will be the next banana bread I make.... or I won't make banana bread ever again : ) ...

Thank you for sharing... !

Kristen said...

A good banana bread recipe is hard to find - hold onto it!

3 hungry tummies said...

oh thanks for the recipe!!

Teanna said...

Not only are you the cake queen, but you are the banana queen and that is my kind of queen! This looks delicious - especially the caramel version! Your kids are gorgeous!

Peggy Clyde said...

Those looks so delicious. I have bananas ready right now. One of these days I'll post my banana bread recipe. It is called Aloha Banana Bread cause it has pineapple and coconut in it.

Keeley said...

I make banana bread a few times a month. I use a recipe from AllRecipes.com (Banana Banana Bread). Looks good!
-Keeley

Paris Pastry said...

I love the idea of using mini-loaf pans for banana bread! Mini-loaves look so much cuter! I also cover my banana bread with foil the last 20 minutes.

I must say, you have beautiful children! (I've noticed that everybody is saying it, but it's true!)

Pumpkin said...

Awww, your kiddos are so cute! (And your banana bread looks so yummy!)

CookiePie said...

LOVELY banana breads -- I love the addition of the caramel!!!

Thanks so much for letting me know about the banana snack cake! Did something go wrong with the frosting, or did you not care for it? I would love any feedback - thanks!!

Lisa said...

You're suh a proud mama, it's fun to see and listen to ;) There are three beauties in this entry, the latter two stunning. I'm trying not to look at the banana bread because I've been eating too much lately!

BTW..HERE COMES NUMBER #27! Probably won't be tonight, but I'd love it to happen in NY, so I'm cool with it :)

BTW.. I don't think many like my challenge *pout*

Stephanie said...

yey! your kids are adorable! congrats on their successes!!!!!! they must be so excited

Natalie said...

Your children are gorgeous! and great looking banana bread too!

s said...

i love banana bread and this looks YUM!!your kids look so smart

Business Cards said...

Banana bread is already delicious on its own. Then you add some chocolate chips and walnuts... now that's heavenly. :D

avesta said...

wow...your kids are just beautiful!

Unknown said...

The cake looks great!! As do the kids! Banana bread is something I love, and is always gobbled up in no time!

Furry Bottoms said...

Oh my, I love the cinnamon sugar tops on ANY bread!! Drooling over these pictures...