Monday, June 9, 2008

Cake decorating class

Well, tonight was my first Wilton cake decorating class at Michael's. It was okay. I am waiting until the last class before I make a final judgement. The instructor had some issues but was very personable and seemed to know what she was doing. Hopefully she will be able to impart some of that knowledge on to us. There is only one other person in the class which is nice....more one on one time. She seems very nice. The one thing that was clear is that piping is much more difficult than it looks. I am definitely going to have to practice. Oh, I don't like that I have to use the Wilton recipe for buttercream or that we only use buttercream. I know that pastry artist use more than just that but I guess it's the easiest to use, learn with, and make. I'm still excited....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, i really like how your blog is coming along. i made the cupcake pops last week for my birthday party and they came out great, i posted pictures on my blog. I made the original ones with chocolate cake and pink chocolate. The bites are easier to make than the pops. I am also still trying to sign up for a cake decorating class and i hope you have a better class next time. Buttercream frosting is the best frosting in the world for me. I have the best recipe:
2/3 cups of butter
4 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 to 4 tablespoons of milk
YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hey, Caitycakes!

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Now I don't feel like I'm talking to myself so much!

I agree the pops are MUCH harder. I think the trick is putting the sticks in and then freezing them again before you dip them. Oh, and I also found out that you can use something called Paramoure Crystals to thin you candy melts. It's supposed to make them easier to use. I'm gonna try it.

Also, THANKS for the recipe. I'm gonna try it tomorrow night as I'm practicing my piping skills then.

I have 2 cameras and can't find either one. It's such a bummer!

Talk to you soon! Good luck with your blog!

Ingrid :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

OOPS, it's supposed to thin "YOUR"
candy melts!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for looking at my blog, i get all excited when someone leaves me a comment. Also i'm glad you like my cakes, i stayed up until 2 in the morning for 2 nights in a row making all the food. And the horrible thing was i had finals to study for too (a.p. art, u.s. history honors, english 3 honors, and physics). Thanks for the tipp with the candy (LOL). I hope you like the buttercream recipe. Oh, and the amount of milk you put in it depends on how creamy you want it, i usually add 3 tablespoons.

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

Hi Ingrid! Thanks so much for leaving me a comment about my Chocolate Swoon Bars. I'm so pleased to learn that they came out successfully. I am curious to know if your bars had a layered effect too or if that was just a strange anomaly that only occurred just when I made them.

Thanks for posting about the Michale's class. I'm curious to read your overall opinion as I've been toying with the idea of taking the class myself but I've been a little hesitant. Be sure to keep updating us! :-)