Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream & Flavor of the Month

Bridget from Bake at 350 has started a new baking group and I’vebakeat350_flavor_small decided to throw my hat in.  In the past I’ve been leery of joining any of the groups.  There are so many talented bakers and bloggers I felt that I really wasn’t up to their standards.  It didn’t help that I also hate deadlines.  I tend to leave things to the last minute. Then of course life decides to throw me curveball and I’m scrambling to get done even later than I intended. Well, no more!  While I still have a waaays to go before I’d consider myself proficient  I am more confident in what skills I do have.  So with that said I’ve join The Flavor of the Month

DSC01982

This month’s flavor was pie.  The rules are simple make and blog about anything “pie”. Then post on the last or second to the last day of the month.  When I first saw that we were doing “pie” my thoughts were great the one thing I haven’t yet tried to make.  Knowing for my first “challenge” I didn’t want to go too far outside my comfort zone I racked my brain for something pie but not in the traditional sense.  Last week while catching up on my blog reads I was ecstatic to see Key Lime Pie Ice Cream on Erin’s blog, Erin’s Food Files. Yay, this was what I was making as my entry, Key Lime Pie Ice Cream!

DSC02000

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
from Cooking Light
1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup bottled Key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
1/2 cup whipping cream
Dash of salt
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
6 graham crackers (1 1/2 cookie sheets), coarsely crushed, divided (I didn’t crush mine but broke them into big pieces.)
Key lime wedges (optional)
Combine first 5 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Pour mixture into freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Stir 1/3 cup graham crackers into ice cream. (I gently added mine after I stopped churning it and spooned it out.) Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container, and cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon graham crackers. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired. (I broke up several more graham crackers and layered them on the bottom of my glass then topped ‘em with two big scoops of key lime pie ice cream.  Top the scoops with cool whip (which oddly enough tasted better to me than whipped cream with this).  Garnish with zest and lime slice and you have Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Sundae! )
Yield 6 servings (3/4 cup) Calories: 317; Fat: 9.5g (sat 5.3g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.3g); Protein: 8.8g; Carbohydrate: 50.3g; Fiber: 0.1g; Cholesterol: 36mg; Iron: 0.4mg; Sodium: 190mg; Calcium: 275mg

DSC01999

I’ve you like lime, like tart and tangy then this is for YOU!  This might be my new fave ice cream of the summer.  It’s so good I’ve kept quiet about it.  Thank goodness the Twins don’t read my blog (Though they do tell everyone about it!  They’re proud of their Mama!  :)) The only one who knows about it is Babygirl and she’s still up in the air about it.

DSC01987 Btw, I had every intention of making homemade graham crackers as seen here but time and other baking ventures yummily got in my way.

43 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

To die for! An awesome flavor!

Cheers,

Rosa

CookiePie said...

OMG - Key lime pie + ice cream?? Inspired!!

cookies and cups said...

yum! this month has flown by and I for got about the challenge...I too am SOO bad with deadlines. Hope I can come up with something today!

Monica H said...

Awesome flavor. I love key lime pie. I've even been known to write into a local creamerys' webite and request the flavor with big chunks of pie and graham cracker in it! About 5 years later, they now have the flavor- yeah!

I had it in my plans today to make ice cream, but I'm a dork and don't have heavy cream- what am I going to do?!

Lovely pics, btw!

Jo said...

Absolutely delicious and a great treat on a hot summer day. Yum!

Denise said...

WHat a great flavor, so perfect for these humid days we are having.

Pam said...

What a great ice cream flavor - it looks and sounds mouth watering good!

oneordinaryday said...

Mmm. Great idea and it looks really yummy.
Kudos to you for joining the group. I gave DB a try but the deadlines and all were getting to me and I only lasted through a couple challenges. And they were challenging, let me tell ya. I admire those of you who participate in these baking groups. I guess I don't have the baking chops yet. : )

Unknown said...

oooooo...
pregnant lady is in looovve....

Thanks for sharing this lovely combination of tart lime and sweet ice cream! I can't wait to try it!!

ps WHERE did you find the Rosie image with "Operation Baking Gals"?? My hubby is active duty Army - and I LOVE vintage art - especially Rosie!

Anonymous said...

Key lime ice cream sounds great! Perfect for summer.

The Blonde Duck said...

Looks fabulous!

grace said...

so here’s the thing, ingrid—whenever i go to an ice cream parlor where mix-ins are available, i ALWAYS get graham cracker crumbs. that said, i think this is one of the best creations of all time and i commend you!

ErinsFoodFiles said...

YAY! Glad you enjoyed it! I thought it was dreamy! Can you believe I made homemade graham crackers literally the DAY AFTER all this ice cream was gone? I couldn't help but think how delicious it would be been with the homemade ones.

Teanna said...

WHAT?! This may be the best flavor of ice cream I have seen all summer!

OH And I made your brown butter glaze for a banana bundt cake yesterday... TO DIE FOR!!!

Dianne said...

I like the addition of the graham cracker! Look fabulous!

Jelli said...

This looks perfectly refreshing! I just got an ice cream maker and destroyed some lime ice cream mix by being too impatient to wait for the freezer bowl to freeze completely. It's more like a granita if you have enough patience to scrape it. Hehe. Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

Oh my word, this looks and sounds fantastic. You just KNOW that I'll have to make it!!! Nice job - and hey, don't be afraid of groups!! Your skills are right on up there with the best of them =)

Justin said...

yum. pie is one of my favorite flavors, lol.

Kerstin said...

What a great idea, it sounds so delicious and I love those big pieces of graham cracker!

Jaime said...

holy yum!! I have to try this :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

OMG! What a great idea! It looks delicious!

The Purple Foodie said...

As if key lime pie wasn't good enough on it's own that you made it into an ice cream! It sounds like such a nice dessert. Thanks for linking to the graham cracker post. :)

Emily said...

Oh my goodness... yes!! This is the perfect ice cream flavor for summer. I love key lime pie!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Oh yum! I've seen that recipe and have always wanted to try it. Your picture convinced me!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

I'm so happy you decided to participate in Flavor-of-the-Month!!! Yay!

This looks incredible. Creamy and tart at the same time...perfect!

Nazarina A said...

I'll scream for this ice cream! wish I was in Key west!You did your state proud!

Reeni said...

I love key lime! I can see why you've kept it a secret! How delicious!

Reeni said...

I forgot - you can meet any of those baker's groups standards! You are an amazing baker

Maria said...

You know we love our lime! This ice cream looks fantastic!

Donna-FFW said...

LOVE the up close fork shot. It looks so absolutely wonderful. Key lime is a fav of my hubby. Once I get an ice cream machine, Ill have to try this.

Kristen said...

That looks amazing. My mouth is watering just thinking about this flavor of ice cream! YUM!

Julie said...

Looks just delicious and amazing and, where's mine?
FYI, this reminded me...I tried a seasonal thing they have at sonic right now called chillers in a lime flavor. It was just like having key lime ice cream through a straw..yum!

UPrinting said...

Oh my, that looks so good.
Is it okay to replace the bottled lime juice with a real, freshly-squeezed lime juice? Just asking.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful dessert. :)

Cucinista said...

Man, I love key lime pie, but key lime ice cream pie -- that takes it to the next level!

Anonymous said...

Ingrid! This looks fantastic!! I need to get my butt moving on making ice cream. This pregnancy has really slowed me down, but I'm hoping to be back at it soon! This is definitely one I'll have to try right away! Thanks!

Megan said...

You picked a goo recipe for the pie flavor. I love it. And I love that it's Cooking Light!

Lori said...

This looks so refreshing and yummy. I would love to have a bowl of this right now.

avesta said...

I love Key Lime Pie and I love ice cream...this sounds perfect!!!

Maris said...

I saw this on Erin's blog too. It looked amazing on both sites!

Deborah said...

I've been craving key lime pie, but having it in ice cream form would be even better!!

Spryte said...

OMG DROOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh-My-God,...I just enjoyed a slice
of "The World's Greatest Key Lime Pie"! From Kutchie's Key West Cafe.
My friend Cathy got it and brought it to me at the hospital where I was working.
Talk about brightening up a persons day, that was it! I had heard a lot of good things about Kutchie's Key
Lime Pie before but hadn't tried it. Everyone should have a good friend like Cathy...............

that's what friends are for.
Della Reese

Anonymous said...

My Special Wish For 2010, Is World
Piece and That For 2010 Everyone Can Enjoy "The World's Greatest Key
Lime Pie" Baked by, My Good Friend
"Kutchie Pelaez", at his Place "Kutchie's Key West Kutcharitaville Cafe" over in Asheville, NC.
Call Kutchie's And See What We've Been Enjoying For Many Years Now.
Now That's A Good One, World Piece and Piece of Pie!
Happy New Year Everyone and God Bless.

Stuart Varney