Thursday, July 9, 2009

Easy Oreo Cake

I saw this easy Oreo Cake a couple of months ago on Dine and Dish and immediately thought of my Dad, Larry.  DSC01749I baked and served it to him the Friday my parents came into town for Father’s Day from NC.  My Dad loved it all but the rest of us had varying opinions.  I personally loved the filling and thought the ganache went well with the cake.  The cake itself while extremely moist and tender was chocolate and as most of you know I’m not a fan nor are my children.  My Mom on the other hand said the cake and filling were great but didn’t care for the ganache which she thought was not sweet enough.

DSC01752

Now I have  to tell you a funny story.  The following day on the request of my mom I took the left over cake to my aunt’s house where a bunch of us were meeting for an impromptu luncheon.  On the way there I had to pick up  the Twins from my brother’s house. Well, when Devon hopped into the car and saw the left over cake he was appalled.  He right away asked me, “Mom, what are you thinking?!  You can’t bring a half eaten cake to a “party”!”  I explained that it was okay but he still thought it odd. He’s a funny kid.

DSC01753

Let me tell you, that half eaten cake was quickly gobbled down and the only negative comment said was that there wasn’t enough for (everyone to have) seconds. My Aunt Toni whose house I was visiting doesn’t generally like sweets and she requested a second slice so she could save it for later! 

Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookie Cake

*This is the recipe as found on Dine and Dish but I’ll be honest, the ingredient list doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.  You see in step #1 it says to “Prepare and bake cake mix in two (9-inch) round cake pans as directed on package”.   I read the backs of both Betty Crocker’s and Duncan Hines’ mixes and the amount of eggs, oil, and water called for on the packages are not the same as the amounts listed in the recipe. Or is it just me that doesn’t get it? If it is me you’re gonna have to break it down for me ‘cause I’ve read and re-read this several times.  My alterations are noted in (red).

1½ hours | 20 min prep

SERVES 16

  • 1 (18 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
  • 1/4 cup oil (1/2 C. which was the amt the box called for)
  • 2 eggs (3 eggs which was the amt the box called for)
  • (1/3 C. of water, the recipe did not call for any water but the box did)
  • (1 C. of buttermilk, the box actually called for 1 1/3 C. of water but I substituted the buttermilk for part of it)
  • 4 Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
  • 1/4 cup butter, cut up
  • 1 (8 ounce) package Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups thawed Cool Whip
  • 12 Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed
  1. PREHEAT oven to 350°F Prepare and bake cake mix in two (9-inch) round cake pans as directed on package. Cool in pans 5 minute Invert onto wire racks; remove pans. Cool layers completely.
  2. PLACE chocolate and butter in small microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 2 minute or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool 5 minute
  3. BEAT cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add the whipped topping and cookie crumbs; mix lightly. Place 1 of the cake layers, top-side down, on serving plate; spread with the cream cheese mixture. Cover with the remaining cake layer, top-side up. Spoon glaze over top of cake. Let stand until set. Store in refrigerator.

DSC01757

36 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

Wow - this could quickly become my new favourite food! Yummy!

The presentation is beautiful!!! Nice work :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That cake looks really good! Yummy!

cheers,

Rosa

Memória said...

Wow. This looks interesting. I bet it would taste even better with a homemade cake recipe instead of the box variety. You only have to add a couple more dry ingredients.

Coleens Recipes said...

This looks like a crowd pleaser. I have several serious chocolate fans in my family, so I know I will be trying this one.

♥Rosie♥ said...

This looks like one showstopper of a choccie cake!!

Denise said...

Woe that cake is impressive.

Debbie said...

That cake is gorgeous..I want a slice of that cake NOW!!!! LOL...

Donna-FFW said...

Loving this easy to make, surely delicious, impressive looking cake!! Nicely done Ingrid, you are the best!

Christy said...

Ingrid-
Thank you soooo much for your kind words and checking up on me!!! Things have been incredibly busy with our son's travel baseball team (updates soon on my blog) and just life in general with four kiddos in the summer. I'm HOPING to post this weekend and catch up with all of you!! I've missed you all!!

{{hugs}}
Christy

cookies and cups said...

This sounds great! I love any sort of cream cheese filling! I also love the adaption of the box mix...I am always looking for alterations like that!

Smitten Sugar said...

This cake looks so pretty! Love the presentation!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Ingrid...that looks A-MAZING!!

Amanda said...

Holy canoli!! That's one big cake! :) Sounds like overall it was a success, even with the varied responses. Love the comment about bringing a half eaten cake to a party BAHAHA As for the directions in the recipe, I have seen that before and find that either way works. Either use the cake mix and the list of ingredients, or use the box ingredients. I think either way is fine :) Looks great!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

I've been seeing this all over lately- is looks SO good!

Pam said...

What a fantastic cake - my son would LOVE this.

Kristen said...

I think this is one of those cakes that is loved simply because it has oreo's in it and it just looks impressive!
When it is this cake, I don't think anyone will complain about it being half eaten :)

grace said...

oh MAN, this is all kinds of awesome! the cake part is obviously terrific, but as someone who's always more about the filling and frosting, i would probably be inclined to eat half the cake at once. amazing.

Maria said...

That is a massive cake! Oreo lovers will be in heaven!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I'll have to try it one day.

Eliana said...

This cake looks absolutely great! No wonder they complained about there not being enough.

Monica H said...

Maybe they mean to use the ingredients listed to prepare the cake but bake according to the box directions.

I love how big the layer of filling is. I wish I had a piece! That last picture really did it for me- great job!

Baking Momma said...

That looks so delicious. I am not a fan of Oreo Cookies. But my husband recently got me addicted to Oreo ice cream. So I guess the next step would be an Oreo cake.

Thanks for sharing

Karine said...

Oreo cookies are one of my favorite ones... And a cake of them must be amazing!

teresa said...

Oh wow! This looks incredible! It would not last long in our house!

Reeni said...

This looks heavenly! I wouldn't complain if you brought half of it over to my place! My Dad would love this, too!

Wandering Coyote said...

Oh my, this looks too good to be true!

lettergirl said...

This looks so delicious, Ingrid! And almost doable for a baking dork lke me! Great post.

♥peachkins♥ said...

I would love a slice of that oreo cake!

Jamie said...

I am not a HUGE chocolate lover either, but this looks like something my family would love!!!

Lissaloo said...

Your cake looks WONDERFUL! It's definitely going on my To-Make-Soon list :) Thanks for the comments you left me :)

Kerstin said...

I'm a huge Oreo fan too - your cake is maknig my mouth water!! Awesome!

Abby said...

My husband could eat this and die a happy man. He loves anything cookies and cream!

Lori said...

Looks decadent and delicious. My kids would go crazy over this one. Of course if I add sprinkles they will really go crazy.

paige renee said...

This looks amazing! Yum! I added a link on my blog. :) Thanks for sharing!

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth said...

I have been such a slacker when it comes to looking at blogs so I am trying to get caught up with yours and am overwhelmed. So many amazing recipes and this cake is beautiful. It looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

i love it!!^3^浪花一朵朵,海景民宿,海景工作坊,海景民宿,聽濤閣民宿,鹽寮民宿,海景民宿,南山泛舟,慈濟精舍,親水公園,宇宙樂園,南濱公園,石雕博物館,石藝大街,北濱公園,文教基金會,香草健康世界,森林公園,兆豐休閒農場,文史工作室,遊憩區,太魯閣,海景民宿,海景民宿,魚爸的家,聽濤閣民宿,海景民宿,經典海岸,海明蔚民宿,豐廬居,海景民宿,海景民宿,豐興餅舖,曾記麻糬,餅舖,宗泰食品,光復糖廠,柴魚博物館,德利豆乾,傅家茶坊,豐春冰果室,山西烙餅,太監雞,佳興冰果室,剝皮辣椒,鍾家臘肉,彭記擂茶,包心粉圓,葉記香腸,夏都,凱撒,福華,英國茶館,奧地利鄉廚,美食館,義大利麵,無煙燒肉,日本料理,鄉村玫瑰館,鳥福居酒屋,牛排館,徐家啥鍋,南瓜海鮮麵,濃稠香郁,墨魚醬汁,蛋黃麵,卡波,單餅,南歐風情,西餐廳