Monday, June 28, 2010

Fruit Pizza

I made this fruit pizza for Father’s Day.  The star of the pizza though was the pineapple curd

DSC03533

And lucky us, we don’t need all pineapple curd that the recipe makes for the pizza, which means leftovers!  Babygirl generously drizzled it over her raspberries. She’s a smart girl. :)

I followed the curd recipe though I did adjust the method a tiny bit.  I’ve made curd several times and used my previous experiences to end up with a smooth and yummy pineapple curd.  The original recipe does not call for straining the curd once cooked.  I did.  I think because the eggs are not tempered they scramble a bit.  Scrambled eggs in curd is NOT yummy so be sure to strain it.  The only other change I made was to sweeten the cream cheese for the pizza.  The pizza recipe only called for lemon juice to be added to the cream cheese but I went ahead and added some powdered sugar.  I thought it needed it.

DSC03536

Pineapple Curd from Myrecipes.com, my changes.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 tablespoon)

Ingredients

  • 1/2  cup  sugar
  • 1  tablespoon  cornstarch
  • 1/8  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  cup  pineapple juice
  • 2  tablespoons  fresh lemon juice
  • 3  large eggs, lightly beaten 
  • 2  tablespoons  butter, cut into smaller pieces

Preparation

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Stir in juices and eggs; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add butter, stirring gently until butter melts.

Strain mixture into medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap directly touching the top of curd to prevent a skin from developing.  Chill for at least 6 hours or overnight (the mixture will thicken as it cools) in the fridge.

36 comments:

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

mmmmm - that looks good!!

tanya

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Soooo lovely! A great summer dessert!

Cheers,

Rosa

Memória said...

Oooo, this pineapple curd sounds fantastic. I thought it would have pineapple chunks in it. The fruit pizza looks fantastic, too!!

The Blonde Duck said...

That sounds so good!

cookies and cups said...

This looks so great! You mean scrambled eggs in curd ISN'T GOOD? Who knew?! :)

oneordinaryday said...

Hey, you! Can I come over for some fruit pizza? Actually, I just really want to get my hands on the pineapple curd. Maybe McKenna would share some raspberries with me?

I betcha I could have wiped away my competition at our pineapple challenge with your beautiful pizza, Ingrid. I wish I'd have thought of it then!

Keeley said...

Looks sooo good! I used to make a pineapple curd with a can of crushed pineapple, 6 egg yolks, and a cup of sugar. Yes, it's overkill, but it was OH SO GOOD! It was a nice dark yellow (like lemon curd). I don't eat it anymore because I want to live to retirement. :)

Cristine said...

Mmmmm.... Pineapple curd! Must try! :) The fruit pizza looks yummy!

Val said...

I will be right over for a slice!!!!!! YUM

Eliana said...

This is the perfect summer pizza. The close up of the fruit has me drooling. Can you send me a slice?

Valerie said...

That looks so great! I've never had fruit pizza with pineapple curd, but it sounds divine.

becky said...

dude! pineapple curd just sounds amazing! i cannot wait to try this!! i'm loving it!!
(can you tell i'm excited?) :)

Get Off Your Butt and BAKE! said...

Ingrid that looks delicious! I'm going to make this very soon.

Reeni said...

Your fruit pizza looks so fresh and yummy Ingrid! And pineapple curd? I wonder why I never heard of it before. It sounds totally delicious! I bet this was a real treat.

Abby said...

I've always wanted to try one of those!

Mimi said...

So yummy! Beautiful pics too. All that fruit makes this a healthy treat.
Mimi

grace said...

i've never topped a fruit pizza with curd, much less a pineapple curd! really great idea, ingrid--i'm sure it added a sweet punch to a gorgeous dessert. :)

Faith said...

This is so beautiful and I can really see how the curd would make this dish! Pineapple curd is new to me and I'd love to try it!

White Toast with Butter said...

What a great summer treat!

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

The strawberries and kiwi look so pretty! I have never had pineapple curd before, but it sounds delish.

Debbie said...

Looks delicious Ingrid. I think we would love this in my house. My husband would probably eat the whole thing!

Unknown said...

OMG that looks delicious!! The Hubble loves pineapple and I love strawberries! Perfection!!

PS. I hope you get a chance to check out my most recent blog post. I left something for you there (I hope you don't mind). You can find the post here:

http://amodernmilitarymother.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/a-blog-with-substance-and-an-unexpected-inquisition-a-bit-like-the-spanish-one/

Lot-O-Choc said...

Oooh wow this looks nicer than normal pizza hehe, especially in the summer :D it looks so refreshing, what a good idea yum!!

LaChelle @ SugarDuchess said...

Ooo! This is my kind of pizza! And pineapple curd! Good grief! Why hadn't I ever heard of that before? That photo just makes me want to jump right in. I love your blog :)

Diana's Cocina said...

This looks perfect for my 4th of July gathering. Looks delicious Ingrid!

Unknown said...

Pineapple curd?? Really? Woww!!

Jaime said...

looks delicious! i love fruit anything

Robin said...

Hi Ingrid,
I have made fruit pizza before but not with the curd. What a fantastic addition! I will have to add pineapple curd to mine when ever I make it. Thanks for the tip.

Robin

Monica H said...

I saw this the other day but didn't have time to comment. I've been dreaming of making fruit pizza ever since. That plated pic looks really nice too!

Lori said...

Hmmm pineapple curd. I havent tried that one yet. Twist my arm- I need to make it. I love fruit pizza (way better than real pizza, btw).

Lisa said...

Ingrid..gibe me any fruit and I'll try to make a curd out of it - seriously. That pineapple curd sounds luscious and the fruits on top are gorgeous. Spectacular colors in your photos.

To kill two posts with one comment - loving the cinnamon swirl bread. I have a tried and true I always use, but I have a copy of BBA and want to try his. Seeing yours has motivated me. It looks fantastic, and from you..the one who wasn't keen on bread baking! You rock and rolled it, chickadee! (get it..rolled..the cinnamon swirl - it just hit me..lol)

How's Monday for a chat? Let me know if that's good for you. :)

Cyndy said...

I love pineapple and that curd recipe sounds devine. Thanks for the tip on straining the curd. Love the looks of this pizza! I have kiwi's and strawberries!

Katy ~ said...

I love pineapple; I'll bet that curd was DEEE-lish!!

naomi said...

This is fab! OMG, I never thought to do a fruit pizza. I love the idea and will adding this to my recipe box.

Lorie said...

I am loving the idea of pineapple curd! Never heard of it, but I bet it's delicious.

Plain Chicken said...

Looks good. I would have never known it was so easy to make a curd.