Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dessert Table: Lemon Berry Trifle

I’ve actually made this twice since I first saw it on Recipe Girl.  The first time was for Easter and then again for my brother’s dessert table.   It was a hit both times and will definitely be making a repeat appearance.

DSC03349

The first time I made this I used all strawberries and the second time I used a combination of strawberries and blackberries.  I also doubled the recipe for the wedding as I was feeding more people. 

DSC03348

Lemon Berry Trifle, adapted from Recipe Girl                                            (for a printable recipe with my changes click here)

SYRUP:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup water                                                                                                          (I added the zest of the lemon(s) I  juiced)

LAYERS:
12 oz. pound cake or butter loaf (store bought ok)
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
3 cups fresh blackberries
3 cups fresh strawberries

1. Slice cake into ¾” slices and place on wax paper in a single layer.

2. Prepare lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring sugar, lemon juice, zest, and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool, then brush over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.

2.5 Wash and dry berries well.  Hull and half strawberries if using. I kept the strawberries and blackberries separate because I wanted two distinct layers of berries in my trifle. After prepping the berries I placed them into a bowl and tossed them with half of the left over lemon sugar syrup.

3. Beat cream cheese with sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and slowly add cream. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft whipped cream.  (I added the last of the lemon sugar syrup.)

4. Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 qt. size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spread to the sides of the dish. Scatter berry of your choice on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese, and berries.

5. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.

Servings: 6-8

Recipe Tips:
*For a lower fat version, try fat-free pound cake and reduced-fat cream cheese.
**You can use any variation of berries.  I’d just make certain to have 6 cups worth.     

This recipe is very forgiving; play around with it and make it yours.  I also think the lemon sugar syrup and cream cheese/whipped cream filling would be great in other recipes. Recipe Girl, has a “how to” video for putting this trifle together.

Post a Comment