Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dessert Table: Lemon Berry Trifle

I’ve actually made this twice since I first saw it on Recipe Girl.  The first time was for Easter and then again for my brother’s dessert table.   It was a hit both times and will definitely be making a repeat appearance.

DSC03349

The first time I made this I used all strawberries and the second time I used a combination of strawberries and blackberries.  I also doubled the recipe for the wedding as I was feeding more people. 

DSC03348

Lemon Berry Trifle, adapted from Recipe Girl                                            (for a printable recipe with my changes click here)

SYRUP:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup water                                                                                                          (I added the zest of the lemon(s) I  juiced)

LAYERS:
12 oz. pound cake or butter loaf (store bought ok)
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
3 cups fresh blackberries
3 cups fresh strawberries

1. Slice cake into ¾” slices and place on wax paper in a single layer.

2. Prepare lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring sugar, lemon juice, zest, and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool, then brush over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.

2.5 Wash and dry berries well.  Hull and half strawberries if using. I kept the strawberries and blackberries separate because I wanted two distinct layers of berries in my trifle. After prepping the berries I placed them into a bowl and tossed them with half of the left over lemon sugar syrup.

3. Beat cream cheese with sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and slowly add cream. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft whipped cream.  (I added the last of the lemon sugar syrup.)

4. Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 qt. size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spread to the sides of the dish. Scatter berry of your choice on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese, and berries.

5. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.

Servings: 6-8

Recipe Tips:
*For a lower fat version, try fat-free pound cake and reduced-fat cream cheese.
**You can use any variation of berries.  I’d just make certain to have 6 cups worth.     

This recipe is very forgiving; play around with it and make it yours.  I also think the lemon sugar syrup and cream cheese/whipped cream filling would be great in other recipes. Recipe Girl, has a “how to” video for putting this trifle together.

52 comments:

Paris Pastry said...

My goodness! That looks like the perfect trifle! Well done!

oneordinaryday said...

I actually have a trifle dish - very lovely - that I've used only one time EVER. Shameful, isn't it, when desserts like this can be eaten on a regular basis.
This is beautiful - all those layers of goodness. Mmm. Nicely done! I'm sure it was a huge hit at the wedding party.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I've always loved trifle! Yours is beautiful!

Cheers,

Rosa

Abby said...

I love the beautiful simplicity of a trifle!

Monica H said...

yay! I've been looking forward to seeing individual pictures and recipes from your brother's wedding! Your trifle turned out really pretty and I like the addition of blackberries too. It looks very patriotic. I've got to get me a trifle bowl!

Can't wait to see whats next.

Sugar Crawler said...

i've been dreaming for that big bowl! ahhhh.. ang those sure look good :9

Keeley said...

This looks really yummy. I've made lots of trifles over the years, but not one like this. I think this would go over well at my husband's birthday party in August.

Thanks for creating the link to a site with printable recipes. I may have to "steal" that idea :)

Julie said...

What a beautiful trifle...I'll bet it's so yummy!

Unknown said...

This looks delicious! It's quite lovely...almost like a piece of art. And the idea of lemon, strawberries and blackberries with fluffy cake and light whip sounds divine right about now. Thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

Yum, this looks so good! Today I made some strawberry preserves and yesterday some strawberry soup. Wish I'd seen this before I used all my berries :)

MaryMoh said...

This would be very impressive to serve at a party. Thank for sharing.

cookies and cups said...

This looks so summery and good! I dont' have a trifle bowl, but I guess I need to add that to the "wishlist"!!

Velva said...

Trifles look so fresh and colorful-This was a perfect addition for a wedding food table. I love the fresh fruit, cream and cake combination.

I can see why this trifle is such a hit.

Lot-O-Choc said...

Ohh woww trifle is absoloutely delicious, i cant believe how good this looks! Yumm!

Kerstin said...

What a pretty trifle! It sounds so yummy and perfect to take to a party.

grace said...

trifles are grand--they look so elegant yet are so very easy to prepare. they're also good for rescuing failed cakes and the like. :)

michellemabell said...

What talent you have in presentation!
And I love the idea of cream cheese whipped in with the cream...yum!

Have a great day Ingrid!
michelle

♥peachkins♥ said...

I would dig right into this first!


The Peach Kitchen
blowing peachkisses
peach and things

Pam said...

Wow, wow, wow. What a beautiful trifle.

Reeni said...

I'd love to dig in to your lovely trifle for breakfast! Such a nice summery treat!

Debbie said...

Looks delicious Ingrid and I love the idea of mixing in all different fruits!

Lucie said...

What a beautiful trifle! The colors are great.

bridget {bake at 350} said...

This looks perfect for summer! Yum!

Lori said...

THis is so yummy looking, all fluffy and creamy. Hmmm.

Katy said...

Trifle is among the top if not THE top favorite dessert of all time for me. I LOVE them. So beautiful, delicious, and elegant. Ingrid, you did fabulously here. Just divine!!

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous trifle. I love it -- such a summertime treat. Lemon and berries are a perfect combination.

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love trifles and your mixture of strawberry and blackberry is delicious!Great photo too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a gorgeous dessert. As a matter of fact I think your desserts in earlier posts are wonderful as well. I spent some time here reading through your entries and I really like what you are doing here. I'll be back as often as I can. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

CookiePie said...

WOW - that is gorgeous!!!

Robin said...

Hi Ingrid!
I have been swamped lately. Thanks so much for asking about my mom. She is back to normal- yay! Trifle is so yummy and can be varied so many ways, this one looks perfect. My aunt taught me a quick chocolate one that you would just hate- hahahaha! Now I need to get a trifle bowl.

Mireya said...

Definitely going to have to try this on a hot summer day!

zoom yummy said...

Well, that is something. I love the way it looks. Oh, and the taste, that has to be heavenly... :)Petra

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh I love a good trifle. So delicious, so impressive.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner?
www.MaWhats4Dinner.com

Jelli said...

It is for desserts like this that I wish I had a glass serving bowl. Trifles just aren´t too pretty once they´re served, and you only see the top layer before presentation if the bowl is opaque. Good work, anyhow!

Mimi said...

Trifles are such great desserts. I love the lemon and berry flavors this one. You did a fabulous job,it's gorgeous!
Looking forward to the rest of the dessert table.
Mimi

Justin said...

i'm sitting here thinking, why or why have i never made a trifle?!

Lo said...

That's funny, Justin -- cuz I was just thinking the same thing. They're so beautiful! Love the lemon berry combo.

Delicious Dishings said...

This is a gorgeous trifle! I haven't made one in a very long time. You're definitely inspiring me with this.

the twins said...

looks delicious! i've never had trifle but anything with whipped cream has to be good =)

Amanda said...

My aunt used to make English Trifle for every holiday when I was a child. It was my favorite dessert, followed very closely by her lemon curd tarts. I've lost touch with her and don't even know if she's alive anymore. Wish I knew how to contact her! would love to get some of her recipes :) This looks so good!

Jaime said...

oh wow! not sure what i'd like more...shortcakes or that trifle :) yum yum

Lila said...

Oh yes, the ultimate trifle. I made this for mother's day but, made a yogurt cake instead of a pound cake to save on calories. It was even better!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

Hilary said...

This is my sort of trifle. I hate the ones where the cake is doused in liqueur first - sherry trifle, ewwww. But this is right up my street. I bet your dessert table was such a hit!

Deborah said...

It looks gorgeous with the strawberries and blackberries!

Eliana said...

Strawberries and blackberries are my favorite fruit. So this delight has Eliana written all over it.

Unknown said...

You have a trifle dish! Wow! That's one beautiful trifle :) How did you manage to serve it neatly at the wedding, though?

Diana's Cocina said...

Awesome presentation - I have missed seeing your postings. Been crazy busy for the past month. I'm back now!

Smitten Sugar said...

I must have been out of town when you posted this! I love anything with berries in it and this looks amazing! So pretty!

becky said...

i've always wanted to make one of these badboys, i just have to get off my tush and by the trifle bowl/dish thingy! it just looks so fresh and yummy!

Biren said...

Your trifle looks beautiful. I've got to get one of those trifle bowls.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment :)

Marie said...

First time poster here - hello! This looks gorgeous! I've made this a few times before, too (it was originally a Martha Stewart recipe). It's always a hit at parties! Love your method of keeping the berries separate. I'll have to try that next time.

Julie M. said...

I really need to make a trifle one of these days. I love to eat them, I can't believe I've never put one together before! Yours looks absolutely delightful.