Friday, August 14, 2009

Cooking with Alicia & Annie: Marshmallow Brownies

aablogevent2

Yup, I just entered another blogging event!  Getting crazy, I tell ya. 

Amanda from Amanda’s Cooking mentioned to me a few months ago (yeah, I know) in an email  that I might like to check out a blogging event called Cooking with Alicia & Annie.  I panicked at first but after looking at the blog page for it and checking out some of the recipes I realized that I could do this.  For those of you that haven’t participated you should check it DSC02081out. I don’t think there’s an “easier” blogging event out there. They have something for everyone with a TON of recipes to chose from, both savory and sweet.  I, of course, went for the sweet.  :)  Oh, before I forget…you can win prizes!  Pretty cool! You pick  a recipe from Alicia’s or Annie’s site, make it,  blog about it, and then you get a chance to win a prize. Easy, right?!

DSC02079I’m laughing right now….you know why?  Because those of you who have been reading my blog for a while are, I’m sure, NOT surprised by my choice in recipes. Bars and blondies, no big surprise there, right?  :) Don’t be fooled by that title while Alicia calls these Marshmallow Brownies they are NOT brownies.  I’m unofficially renaming them Marshmallow Goldies.

DSC02080

The recipe called for chocolate chips which might have helped the brownie cause but I left ‘em out.  Besides leaving out the chocolate chips I also tossed out the nuts and used coarse sea salt. (‘member this post?)  Thinking back I should have upped the salt and sprinkled some on top.  While these won’t usurp snickerdoodle blondies from their prime spot at the top they are worth giving a try!

DSC02083

Marshmallow Brownies/Goldies

1/2 cup butterscotch pieces

1/4 cup butter or margarine (go w/butter)

3/4 cup flour

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt (coarse sea salt)

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1 egg

1 cup miniature marshmallows

1 cup chocolate chips (I omitted)

1/4 cup chopped nuts (I omitted)

Instructions

Grease bottom and sides of 9-inch square baking pan. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt butterscotch chips and butter, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm. Add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla and egg; mix well. Fold in miniature marshmallows, chocolate chips and nuts just until combined, about 5 strokes. Spread in prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Do not overbake! Center will be jiggly but becomes firm upon cooling.

DSC02084 

Post a Comment