Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Blackberry Cobbler

DSC01902 I made this cobbler the day Joe, Babygirl, and Jalen came home from vacation.  I had just finished cleaning up the kitchen from dinner and sat down to browse through some of my fave blogs when I spotted this yummy on Abby’s blog, Confabulation in the Kitchen.  Having just received three baggies filled with blackberries  it didn’t take but a glance at her photos of Old Fashion Blackberry Cobbler before I hopped up and got to it.  I’d never made a cobbler before… it’s so easy and so good!  How come you guys never told me?  Needless to say I see more of them in my future!

DSC01900

Old Fashion Blackberry Cobbler

2 C fresh blackberries
1 C sugar, divided into two 1/2 cups *
3/4 C AP flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 C milk
1/2 C butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine fruit and 1/2 cup sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the flour, baking powder and milk.
4. Pour melted butter into a 1.5 quart casserole dish. Pour in milk mixture but do not stir. Add fruit, but do not stir. Bake 1 hour.  Abby suggests topping your serving with ice cream, something about gilding the lily.  I concur! :)

DSC01912

*The only thing I might change is to cut back on the sugar.  My berries were quite sweet and didn’t need 1/2 cup of sugar.  Before adding sugar to your berries I suggest you taste them first and use your best judgment. 

DSC01914

My other thoughts on Abby’s recipe?  She says she normally makes a peach and blackberry cobbler which leads me to believe you could get crazy with what fruits you use.

DSC01922 

Technorati Tags: ,
Post a Comment