Sunday, August 9, 2009

Black Forest Cupcakes

DSC02076 Monica and I are at it again and have baked up another “cupcake” from Martha Stewart’s Cupcake cookbook.  Our first cupcake though in Martha’s cookbook was one we found off on Bake or Break and baked together.  For Monica’s birthday I sent her Martha’s cupcake cookbook and hinted that perhaps we could bake some of the cupcakes from it together.  These black forest cupcakes are our first official ones and my choice.

DSC02045

I’d like to tell you that I loved these cupcakes but the truth is they’re chocolate and as you know I’m not a fan.  With that said though Miss Karolyn, our “resident” chocolate lover loved them and thought they DSC02062-1were perfect!  Truthfully except for the chocolate the cupcake itself  was perfect.  It was moist and not too dense. Tender but not crumbly.  They stayed fresh for a few days. I baked them on Friday night and I just put together another one for us to share. The cupcake tasted just like it did the first night.  While the cupcake part was stellar the pastry cream was so-so and the ganache was well, ganache, only as good as the chocolate you use. The one thing I did like about the ganache was the addition of corn syrup which kept it from hardening.

DSC02057

Some of you who know me may be wondering why in the world I chose these cupcakes (I wondered that myself a few times) but cherry filled desserts are making the rounds with cherry and chocolate seeming  to be the favorite.  I’d never tried the two together and thought to give it a try.  I also wanted to try making pastry cream.  With this cupcake I’d get to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.  Funny enough but neither one of those things stood out in this recipe.

DSC02077

I only made a third of the cupcake batter and baked mine in a bigger version of this mini cheesecake pan. Monica graciously cut the recipes into thirds for us so we wouldn’t have 30 cupcakes hanging around.  I made six king size ones.  If any of you are interested in the 1/2 and 1/3 recipes of ganache and pastry cream I’d be happy to forward them to you.

Okay, if you haven’t already go check out Monica’s Black Forest Cupcakes as her photos are sure to be even better than mine.

Post a Comment