Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cinnamon Roll Perfection!

These were the cinnamon rolls of my dreams and I almost gave up on the recipe before I really gave it a try. 

DSC02973

If you’ve read this DSC02975post or this one then you know I’ve wanted to master yeast so I could whip up a batch of cinnamon rolls for my children on Christmas morning.  During my initial foray into yeast and cinnamon roll baking I received lots of encouragement and offers of recipes.  This was one of those recipes. 

Lori from Lori’s Lipsmacking Goodness sent me an email telling me of a recipe that was both easy and good.  I suggested we bake them together and post them at the same time.  Lori, the sweetie agreed. For the record this was back in November. 

DSC02983

The first time I made this recipe I made some changes….bad move.  My first mistake was thinking I was proficient enough to make changes. :(  The second was using all purpose flour instead of the bread flour.  I do think my biggest mistake was not baking the cinnamon rolls after their second rise.  After cutting the dough into rolls I placed them into my pans and then placed the pans into the fridge so I could bake them in the morning.  When I pulled them out to bake the next morning I didn’t realize things anything was wrong until we tasted them.

DSC02966

While the cinnamon rolls were good, they weren’t great. For the amount of time and effort I put into them they needed to be more than just good.  In my (& the Twins’) opinion they weren’t as good as the no yeast cottage cheese ones that I blogged about here.   I have to say I was pretty disappointed but felt the recipe deserved another try as I did change some things.  It wouldn’t have been fair to give it a thumbs down when in all likelihood it was me not recipe. My other thought was perhaps I’m just a weirdo who doesn’t like homemade cinnamon rolls made with yeast.  

DSC02988

After making the cinnamon roll recipe again this past weekend I realize that the dough does not keep well overnight.  This time around I followed Lori’s recipe exactly (I didn’t frost mine with cream cheese) and my cinnamon rolls baked up beautifully.  Better yet they tasted exactly how I thought a homemade cinnamon roll should. The twins and I loved them.  (One of the twins thinks we should do a side by side comparison of this recipe and the cottage cheese one but it ain’t happening!)  We’re not weirdoes and my Pillsbury cinnamon roll preferring daughter had one last night and one today which says a lot as she has claimed not to like homemade cinnamon rolls.  YAY! 

DSC02958

Frosted Cinnamon Rolls, printable recipe & tips

adapted from a Taste of Home Recipe & Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness

1 cup milk

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 egg

1 teaspoon salt

4 cups bread flour

1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix

1 T sugar

1 T active dry yeast

Filling:

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Frosting*:

(you can put the remainder of the pudding in the frosting if you like.)

4 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

1 1/2 t milk

1/2 t vanilla extract

In a bowl or in a mixer, combine flour, vanilla pudding mix, salt, sugar and yeast.  In another bowl combine milk and water.  Make a well in the center of the flour or beat in with a KA- the milk and water. Add the egg and the softened butter to that well or the KA.  Stir the mixture together in the center, pulling the flour into the mix, until all the flour is incorporated. Add more flour or water, depending on what is needed. If the dough feels dry add a tablespoon of water.  If the dough is too sticky add a tablespoon of flour.  Knead the dough on a surface or continue to knead in a mixer, whichever you are using.  When it is a soft and smooth, place in a bowl, cover and let rise until it had doubled in size- about an hour.  (I put my bowl in the oven with the light on.  It took just over an hour.)

DSC02937

After the rise, roll out the dough to a 17x10 inch square.  Spread with butter; sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.  Roll, jelly roll style, starting from long end.  Pinch sides and seam to seal.  Cut into 20 or 21 pieces.  Place 12 slices in a 13x9x2 inch pan.  Place the remaining 9 rolls in a 9 inch pan. Cover and let rise until doubled- about 45 minutes.  Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 (mine were done in 18 mins) minutes until golden brown.  Frost warm rolls.

DSC02954

Please hop over to check out Lori’s cinnamon rolls.  Not only does she make terrific cinnamon rolls, she is also fearless in the kitchen and leaves me in awe of all that  she whips up. Thanks Lori for the recipe and for your patience with me!  I’d also like to thank Katy, Coleen, and Monica who went out of their way to send me encouraging emails and “held” my hand. 

64 comments:

Kathleen said...

OH My Goodness! I just want one... only one....please!

Coleens Recipes said...

Bravo, Ingrid, Bravo!! Who would have thouht (such a short time ago) that you would be giving such a wonderful tutorial about yeast cinnamon rolls? I'm thrilled and they look fantastic!!

Memória said...

YUM!! I love cinnamon rolls, and I'm glad you didn't give up on making them. You should try the Clone of a Cinnabon recipe (I blogged about them); it allows you to leave them in the refrigerator overnight without any problems. I do it all of the time. You should just make sure you allow it to get to room temp when you take them out. Anyway, these rolls look fantastic, too! I want one!

cookies and cups said...

wow, wow, wow. you are a goddess!
I have never made cinnamon rolls, unless you count popping open a can of Grands ;)
I wonder if I could do it, because they definitely seem worth the trouble!

April said...

These look great! Good for you getting over your yeast phobia! :)

Bunny said...

These look amazing Ingrid!!! Girl you are growing leaps and bounds in your baking adventures. You are an inspiration Ingrid, I love to see you tackle a project, I think I get as exited about it as you do when I see you succeed!! You go girl!!!

Baking Momma said...

They look awesome. I almost bit through screen!

Heather Baird said...

Beautiful! I have trouble with yeast breads, but these make me want to try again!

Diana's Cocina said...

ingrid, these look so yummy. can't wait to give them a try. i too have trouble with yeast. i'm always up for a challenge in the kitchen so i will let you know how they turn out! =)

♥peachkins♥ said...

absolutely mouthwatering!

Nella said...

I am proud of you for doing them....twice! N

Jana said...

I love your persistence! I always know I can trust your recipes and I always look to see if I have all the ingredients....I usually do! I just ran out of my stock of cinn rolls from my freezer, I better get started huh?

White Toast with Butter said...

Those look great. I want more than one.

CM said...

Man, those look good... like really, really good! I've been craving cinnamon rolls since last week, but have been to lazy to act on my craving. Your photos have put me over the edge~ I've pulled ingredients out to the counter... Thanks for the motivation!

Hilary said...

Glad you found the recipe that worked for you! I like just about any cinnamon bun, as long as it's homemade :)

Lori said...

Ingrid- I am glad you liked them. I like how tender they are. You have done a fantastic job!

Smitten Sugar said...

Yeah Ingrid! Glad you finally found a recipe you like. Now if I could just work up the courage to start baking with yeast I would try all these recipes out! I love cinnamon rolls!!

Foodiewife said...

Cinnamon (Raisin) Rolls are my all-time favorite secret yeast bread indulgence. They're evil, and I crave them. I have never made them, for fear I'd eat the whole platter. It's been on my pea brain for weeks. I even called King Arthur Flour to ask about making these a day ahead. Now, I have to reconsider, after what you said. I just need to make them, on a day off, and eat one and give the rest to my neighbors. PRONTO!

Valerie said...

Congrats on not giving up and getting some BE-autiful rolls!! Wish I could do that too. I haven't conquered my yeast problems/fear yet.

teresa said...

these look fantastic! great job! i still haven't braved cinnamon rolls.

grace said...

whether they're as good as the best you've ever had or not, they certainly are a beauty to behold. in a word, cinnamon rolls are mesmerizing. and intoxicating. and addictive. and heaven-sent. :)

Keeley said...

Yup, I'll be making these... maybe on Sunday morning. I agree, bread flour makes a huge difference. I've done side by side comparisons.

Cristine said...

AMAZING! They look great! GOod job!

oneordinaryday said...

Definitely looks perfect to me. I just bought some cottage cheese the other day to try your other cinnamon rolls, and now you go and throw a new recipe at me! Geesh! Now you have to tell me which one to try!!!!!

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

These look amazing - my mouth is watering... We are big fans of the pilsbury reduced fat cinnamon rolls but I feel I must try these or the cottage cheese ones... hmmm...

Barbara said...

Great work!!
I made Ina's puff pastry cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. They were a smash hit. It's going to take an awful lot to make me switch, but I am willing to give it a try.
I went through the same kind of thing you did when I was fiddling with brioche a couple months ago. The refrigerator bit did not work for me either. Interestingly, I froze some, took them out to thaw and rise a couple weeks later and they turned out to be the best batch. Go figure.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

It's always good when we find the rolls of our dreams!!! They look awesome and I'm glad you didn't gave up on them!

Mimi said...

The thrill of success! Nice job, those cinnamon rolls are mouth watering.
Mimi

Abby said...

So they're best made on days when it's breakfast for supper? I can get down with that.

Monica H said...

I made yeast rolls last month and had the same problem. Only the recipe I used had instructions for freezing them and baking another day. I baked one batch of rolls and they were good. A week later I baked the others and they didnt' rise correctly and were tough.

So I've learned that fresher is better! and these cinnamon rolls look great. I wish I had one with a big cuppa coffee!

Faith said...

I'll have to pick up some bread flour (I've actually never worked with it before, but I've heard it makes a huge difference). Oh wow, I'm wishing for one of these beauties right now!

Elle Bee said...

I made Pioneer Woman's maple cinnamon rolls for Christmas. I tell ya, they really ARE a lot of work, aren't they! But they were soooo good.

Say, what is the difference between AP flour and bread flour?

Reeni said...

These look so light and fluffy Ingrid! And so scrumptious! Their so different from other recipes I've seen with the vanilla pudding in them.

Lisa said...

Absolutely delicious!

Julie said...

Seriously nothing like homemade cinnamon rolls, IMO :)

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh Ingrid ,this is so so good but i aint suprised coz all ur goodies top dear....
I love that u wanted to master yeast for ur darling angels-how sweet......

Debbie said...

Ingrid they look delicious. I need to give these a try. We all love cinnamon rolls in my house especially my son. I also have a thing about yeast but I need to just take the plunge already!!!

Jo said...

Haha .. and I was about to grab a bag of these at the supermarket. But yours are way, way more delicious.

michellemabell said...

Hi!

These look fabulous!

Interesting...whenever I make Cinnamon rolls, I always make them the night before and toss them in the fridge. I always thought they tasted good but now I wonder if they could even taste better if I baked them the same day!
But baking with yeast is fun though, isn't it. :)

Have a great day!
michelle

Lo said...

Mmm. A good cinnamon roll is such a thing of beauty.

Interesting about the overnight rise. I always do that with my cinnamon rolls too!!

Teanna said...

You are the cinnamon roll queen! I actually have all of these ingredients and nothing to do... I think I am going to make these today!

Leslie said...

Ok seriously..these look absolutely perfect! the ooey-gooey-ness is perfect

Steph said...

I'm so glad you gave these a shot. Homemade bread is so hard to get right. I keep failing over and over again. Either that or I'm just weird and I prefer soft, fluffy, airy bread over something dense and hearty. What is the right texture of bread anyway?

The Blonde Duck said...

These look so nice and soft and fluffy...I'd need a lot more gravy though.

I added PB to the blondie mix and I think it was too much oil...I've got a recipe from the back of the PB chip bag to try but I'm gunshy...everytime I make Ben brownies they come out too cakey or raw, so I'm thinking I'm just bar retarded...

Katy ~ said...

Ingrid, my friend, I am so very thrilled for your success. Exceedingly well done.

I've made a similar sweet dough recipe using vanilla pudding, and it does make a huge difference in the fluffy quality of the bun and in the flavor. (On my blog it's posted as a ring.)

This is a fabulous accomplishment. Excellent pix. I am so delighted for you that you did not give up! Sniff. I am so proud of you!!!

Robin said...

Ingrid,
Thanks for wanting to join my Red event over on BRK. After you asked about heart, healthy recipes I put a few links on that post to give you some ideas. Can't wait to see you in red!

Thanks,
Robin Sue

Pam said...

I am terrified of yeast too. Yours looks so light, fluffy and delcicious - nicely done!

Kerstin said...

I'm drooling over here and SO wish I had one right now! Mastering cinnamon rolls is on my list :)

Gretchen said...

My mouth is watering just looking at these pictures!

tobias cooks! said...

They look delicious and juicy. Great job!

Amanda said...

YAY Ingrid!! These look incredible! You did a perfect job, and so glad you decided to try the recipe a second time. They really look great, and the swirls are just perfect! Doesn't seem like this recipe take a really long time either. I wonder how they would be if you froze them instead of refrigerating. That might work... hmmmm. :)

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

Hi Ingrid! I have never made homemade Cinnamon rolls either - they scare me! I've been trying to get up the nerve to try Pioneer Woman's recipe, but it hasn't happened yet. My daughter loves the Pillsbury ones too. Sounds like our cheerleading girls have a lot in common!!

Lisa said...

Awesome that you conquered the yeast, and after initial disappointment, got to where it should be. They look incredible, Ingrid!

Miss you too, and hope we can talk soon. *hugs* Congrats on Devon's player of the year award! Oh, also, I cannot believe Brian Cashman blew off Johnny Damon for Randy Winn..OMG!! We need Johnny, especially since Hideki is gone :(

Lucie said...

Ohhh your cinnamon rolls look amazing! They're one of my favorite treats--my 20 or so cousins and I all share my grandmother's recipe:

http://bilingualbutter.blogspot.com/2009/11/so-sticky-i-ate-them-all-sticky-buns.html

Thanks for sharing yours, I've just discovered your blog and really enjoy it :)

-Lucie

Laura said...

These cinnamon rolls make me want to get over my yeast phobia. :)

Plain Chicken said...

love the idea of pudding in the dough. I am going to have to try these. I've made cinnamon rolls before but I still haven't mastered yeast dough. Thanks!

Kimberly Wright said...

They look divine.

Unknown said...

Yayyyy your cinnamon rolls turned out perfectly yum! And your question about sticky toffee pudding...YES IT IS AMAZING MMM!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Ingrid! Way to overcome your yeast-phobe. These look delicious, and I think your daughter choosing homemade ones after claiming to not like them are testament enough!

Deborah said...

I was just talking about how I don't usually make cinnamon rolls because of all the time involved, but now I want to make these!

Katie said...

Ohhhh yum these look divine! I've had mixed sucess with baking my own before too, but these look so good I'm going to have to give them a go.

sanjeet said...

that you would be giving such a wonderful tutorial about yeast cinnamon rolls? I'm thrilled and they look fantastic!!

Work from home India

Eliana said...

Wow - thank goodness you didn't give up on these because they look incredible.

Robin said...

You didn't even cry! Wow, now I would have cried and milked it for the sympathy of older admirers. Wink. I guess you shouldn't read A Prayer for Owen Meany. A foul balled caused disaster. Hope Devon's shoulder heals quickly and you are all better soon!