Thursday, June 4, 2009

Triple Berry Ripple Tea Cake & Thanks

****The original photos that go along with this post are HERE!

THANK YOU for all the sweet comments you left on Babygirl's post. I forwarded on the comments to her email (she emails our out of town family). She was so excited and happy to read each one. She sent me this email for you....

Dear mommy,

Please tell them for me thank you and I really appreciate the the things they said.

Love,

McKenna

DSC01607

What to make when you have berries that are on their last leg? Here is, Mixed Berry Ripple Tea Cake. It could also be blueberry ripple or blackberry if you have blackberries that need to be finished up. I'm pretty certain that, which ever berry you use you'll be pleased. This was originally supposed to be a raspberry ripple tea cake but I didn't have enough raspberries, so in went some blackberries and for good measure a few strawberries to get me to the required 12 ounces.

This was one of those desserts that was not only good but left me with a DSC01623sense of accomplishment. I admit. I really, really like those quick and easy recipes but when there's time it's nice to get into the kitchen and make something that's a little more involved. With that said, please don't be put off. This IS easy, just not the easiest or quickest but if you're fond of berries, don't mind moist, delicately flavored cake, and you're not pressed for time, give this a try.

Raspberry Ripple Tea Cake (my changes)
for the filling
1 (12 ounce) package frozen raspberries (I used fresh raspberries, blueberries, and a few strawberries totaling 12 oz. I did use more raspberries though.)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
for the batter
2 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup cold butter, sliced into thin pats
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10″ round tart (I used two 4" springform pans) pan that has a removable bottom; set aside.

To make the raspberry filling: in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine raspberries, sugar and cornstarch over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Push raspberry mixture through a fine, mesh sieve, discarding seeds and pulp. Set filling aside to cool slightly; alternatively you may store airtight, refrigerate and use within 3 days.

To make the tea cake batter: in a large mixing bowl, stir together flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. *Measure and set aside 1/2 cup of this flour-crumb mixture and reserve for crumb topping. To remaining flour mixture add baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir well to combine. Make a well in the center of flour mixture to accept wet ingredients.
In a small mixing bowl, beat egg; stir in buttermilk until combined. Add all at once to the well you just created in the center of the flour mixture. Stir gently until just moistened; batter will be thick. Spread two-thirds of this batter over the bottom and up 1″ of the sides of prepared tart pan, using fingers to pat into place if necessary. Next, carefully spread the prepared raspberry filling on top of this batter. In small, irregular mounds, drop remaining batter on top of filling, spreading ever-so-gently with fingers or back of spoon if necessary. Allow mounds of batter to rest atop raspberry filling without pressing into bottom layer of batter. Sprinkle entire cake with the *reserved flour-crumb topping.

In the center of a preheated oven, baked tea cake at 350 degrees F for approximately 30-35 minutes (I checked mine at about 25 minutes and they were done. Use your best judgement if you're not using the 10" tart pan) or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (filling will turn toothpick red). The cake should appear lightly browned (baking times may vary from oven to oven, so keep a close eye on your cake after 30 minutes). When tea cake is properly baked, remove tart pan from oven and allow to cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. When time has elapsed, remove cake from tart pan and place on cake stand or serving plate.

DSC01604

Oops, I almost forgot to tell you I initially saw this beauty on Buff Chickpea and followed the link over to Sandies' Inn Cuisine which is where Hayley first saw it. Please be certain to both blogs. They have both wonderful foods and photographs.

Today my blog is one year old. Hard to believe it's been a year. I wanted to do a special post with a giveaway and all that but things have been so hectic. Stay tuned....I'll be reading and commenting more and will announce a giveaway to celebrate 3B's b-day!

***Please see my previous post that has the photos that go along with this one. For some reason Windows Live Writer does not like those photos. Weird! Go figure!

40 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Sounds good!I love cakes that contain berries...

Cheers,

Rosa

Monica H said...

I was wondering where the pictures were...this recipe sounds delicious!

Happy 1 year blogoversary!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy 1 year! I'm glad she was happy everyone liked her post. Did you give her the book yet?

Shelby said...

oh wow! The cake looks awesome!

Donna-FFW said...

Congrats on your one year!! This cake sounds like its delicious. Ill have to go check the blogs for the pics. I know it will be something Id love though.

oneordinaryday said...

Sounds lovely. Now I'm off to find the photo. : )
Congratulations on your blog birthday!!

oneordinaryday said...

Almost forgot to mention how super sweet your baby girl is. :)

grace said...

heck, you don't even need to add the pictures to convince me that this is a stellar cake. although i like raspberries, i think this would be unbeatable with blueberries. :)

April said...

Oh my goodness!!! This cake looks delish!! Going on my to make soon list!!!

Happy blog b-day!

Creative Classroom Core said...

What a yummy sounding tea cake! Love the raspberries!

CM said...

Hey there!!
Thanks so much for sharing this, it sounds so delicious!!
The pictures look so yummy (I agree totally weird that it rejected your photoset).
HAPPY 1 YEAR!!!
Char

Zoe said...

mmm so moist and fruity!

teresa said...

Your daughter sounds so cute, and this sounds incredible!!

Reeni said...

Happy one year blogoversary!! This teacake looks so scrumptious!!

Deborah said...

YUM! I love that you mixed the berries.

Kerstin said...

What a delicious cake - I want a piece, it looks SO good!

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm printing this as we speak...it is on this afternoons BBQ menu! Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

The Food Librarian said...

Oh! This looks wonderful!

Coleens Recipes said...

I used your recipe today (with frozen strawberries) and it is absolutely delicious!! This is my new FAVORITE recipe and I can see that you can easily make this with almost any fruit. Thank you SO much for the recipe. I'll be posting my experience with it on Monday.

cookies and cups said...

This looks so good! I might try this with strawberries I picked with my little guy!

Cristine said...

Happy 1 year! Your blog is awesome and this cake looks amazing!

Megan said...

I just went to Costco yesterday and thought I was buying 3 containers of raspberries. When I got home there was actually 6. Hmmm, lot's of berries over here and this recipe pops up. I'm thinking that's meant to be! hehe

Risa said...

This cake looks great. Blueberries were on sale this morning so I happen to have an abundance. What to do with them :)

Denise said...

Congrats on your one year. The berries look great

Debbie said...

Happy one year! The raspberry cake looks wonderful. I love cakes with berries....I also make your cranberry vanilla coffee cake...so good!!!!

Julie said...

They look wonderful! I've left an award for you on my blog. If you're interested, come pick it up.

Amanda said...

Gorgeous Ingrid, looks so delicious!

test it comm said...

That tea cake looks amazing!

Maria said...

I love berry desserts. The cake looks heavenly!

Jamie said...

This cake looks so tasty!!! I am glad you enjoyed the green beans!!!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Oh man! That looks insanely delish!!!

Jaime said...

oooh that looks so good. i love anything with fruit or preserves

Sara said...

Congrats on one year! I've been on the lookout for a good berry recipe, I will give this one a try.

Abby said...

I can tell it's perfectly baked. And perfectly yummy! Blackberry sounds wonderful.... I'll have to bookmark this for when they come in later this summer!

lisa (dandysugar) said...

Congrats on one year of blogging! Delicious cake, looks so moist. I love the ripple of berries running through it!

RecipeGirl said...

This is perfect bc I'm on the hunt for berry-filled cakes and such for my summer recipe file! Looks so good!

Teanna said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE tea cake! That looks like a perfect summer dessert!

April said...

I made this yesterday and it is fantastic!!! I made it with raspberries and will make it again!

kellypea said...

OH YUM. I have some frozen blackberries I keep threatening to use. This would be perfect! And Happy Belated Bloggoversary!

Lori said...

Delicious looking. I don't mind putting forth the effort for this!

How sweet your little girl is.

Your comments on my blog always crack me up or put a smile on my face. Thanks!