Thursday, June 18, 2009

Banana Caramel Cake

DSC01674 Yes! It tastes as good as it sounds!  Better really!  This is another one of those recipes that was so good I made it twice within a two week period.  As a matter of fact I bought bananas that were past their prime so I could make this again.  As I’m typing this the photos are taunting me.  I had no intentions of baking tonight but find myself  eyeing up the the bananas on the counter and checking out the clock. 

DSC01677 I have to tell you. This is my favorite banana cake.  All of the ones I’ve made (except this one) to date I have been very good but for me, this is it.  While I won’t stop trying other recipe this is the one I’ll turn to when there’s bananas that need using up and no new recipe to try.

DSC01696 I found the recipe on Technicolor Kitchen after seeing a photo of it on Tastespotting.  The cake on its own is moist but the homemade caramel that is soaked in makes it even more so.  And, I just love the warmth of the cloves, cinnamon, and fresh grated nutmeg that are added to the batter.

Banana Caramel Cake

Cake:
2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated)
¼ teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs
1 ¼ cups (300ml) vegetable oil (or canola oil as in the original recipe)
1 ¾ cups (350g) sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¾ cup (75g) coarsely chopped walnuts (omitted)
85g (3oz) dark chocolate, broken into small pieces (size of chips)(omitted)
3 ripe bananas, diced (I pureed them in my mini food processor & mine were small)

Caramel:
½ cup (88g) firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
4 tablespoons (56g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Butter and flour a tube pan or a bundt pan that can hold 12 cups*; preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF. (I used a tube easier for me to get out)
Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and baking soda.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the eggs, oil and sugar. With the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure that the sugar has been incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and mix for another 30 seconds. (I added in the pureed bananas)
With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients a bit at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl every now and then to ensure everything is incorporated.
Once the dry ingredients have been added, remove the bowl from the stand mixer and add the walnuts, chocolate and bananas. Gently fold them in with a spatula or a wooden spoon. Don’t over mix.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes and then test the cake to see if it’s done by poking a toothpick or cake tester into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done. If not, bake the cake for another 5 to 10 minutes. In Ivonne’s oven, this cake took 55 minutes; in mine, 1 hour. (Mine was done in 45 minutes, I find more often than not everything is done sooner rather than later in my oven.  Adjust accordingly for yours.)
About 5 to 10 minutes before the cake is done, make the caramel by combining all the ingredients in a small pan. Bring to the boil and stir occasionally to ensure that it doesn’t burn. Let it boil for about 5 minutes and then turn off the heat.
Once the cake is out of the oven, poke holes all over the cake with a skewer. Immediately pour the caramel over the cake, stopping every now and then to let the caramel sink in. If the caramel pools in spots, poke more holes to allow it to sink in.
Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. Once it’s cool, loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and then unmold it onto a plate.

DSC01683

The Twins have been out of town playing baseball in Cooperstown, NY since last Saturday which is why you haven’t seen me around.  I thought I would have a break but except for Sunday’s games all of their other games have been broadcast over the internet on the Cooperstown site! Of course that meant instead of having a baseball free week and blogging (& commenting) I’ve been watching and cheering on the boys and their team. 

They just lost making it their last game of the tournament. It was also their third game of the day.  A day which started off with warm ups at the field at 7:30am (after winning and finishing up last night at 9:30pm) in cold rainy weather.  Though they lost they have a lot to be proud of.  Out of a 102 teams they made it to the final four and were seeded third!  Not too shabby.  It’s back to work next week as they have the Elite 24 at Disney in July!  Go Fire!

Technorati Tags: ,,,,

56 comments:

Smitten Sugar said...

Wow! This looks great! I cant wait for the bananas to go bad so I can try this recipe. The pictures make me want a piece now!

Christy said...

Oh. My!!! I'm thanking my lucky stars that I have some VERY ripe bananas on my counter right now, I know what I'll be baking with them.

This bread looks absolutely amazing!! Great work!

Creative Classroom Core said...

I just made banana bread today - I wish I had seen this post earlier! It looks heavenly!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, what a scrumptious treat! Really tempting and delicious looking!

Cheers,

Rosa

Coleens Recipes said...

That second photo really is a "convincer" looks excellent.

Debbie said...

That looks delicious Ingrid....I love banana cakes and breads and the caramel just puts it over the top!

Denise said...

OMG, it looks so good and so bad for me at the same time. your pictures are beautiful

Patricia Scarpin said...

I'm so glad to know you liked the recipe - everyone here loved it too!
Thank you for mentioning my blog!

RecipeGirl said...

Another amazing thing to do w/ my aging bananas- yay! Love the caramel addition.

bridget {bake at 350} said...

This does look delicious! I think I have some "aged" bananas...yay!

Hilary said...

Oooh that caramel sauce is a great twist! So indulgent.

♥Rosie♥ said...

This looks amazing banana bread but with caramel sauce takes it to another level - yum!

teresa said...

Oh my goodness gracious. I love all the varieties of banana bread floating around out there, and this one takes the cake (no pun intended!). Delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

Banana bread are one of my fav. The caramel topping makes it even better.....

Jamie said...

WOW this looks perfect and I just so happen to have browning bananas on my counter...I almost threw them in the freezer today, but I just make this tonight!

Kerstin said...

It seems like we always have over-ripe bananas around! I love the caramel on this cake, it looks so good!

Monica H said...

so this was the banana cake you were raving to me about! It looks great but I have to admit, I am longing for those caramelly banana slices!

Yes, I did think of you when I made those cookies :-) I wished I had some leftover to send to you.

CookiePie said...

Oh WOW does this sound and look AMAZING!! I always have over-ripe bananas in the freexer, so I am bookmarking this one - thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

i love that this one looks enough like banana bread to be eaten for breakfast... yet another excuse to eat dessert for breakfast, gotta love it! Though I still haven't found justifications to eat brownies for breaky.... not that that stops me :)

Pam said...

Oh my - could this get any better? I love anything with caramel.

Deborah said...

Bananas and caramel? I'm in heaven!

Shelby said...

OH YUM! Loving those last photos with the caramel and bananas. I'm drooling!

Anonymous said...

Oh! That looks fantastic. I love bananas and caramel.

cookies and cups said...

Ingrid--this looks great!
Also ~ I tried those snickerdoodle cupcakes again for father's day...my husband requested them again...and they turned out great. I was worried that it was a fluke after you had not so great luck with yours, but I'd say give them another try!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Banana and caramel is like a match made in heaven!! :D

The Blonde Duck said...

Sweet Wounded Wuffles.

Did I miss Baby Girl's e-mail? I don't want her to feel ignored...

Laura said...

Posts like this make me want to cry that I dislike bananas so very much. Looks awesome.

Reeni said...

That looks just heavenly with the caramel sauce on top!

Anonymous said...

oh man...this looks freaking amazing! LOVE the rich caramel drizzle...perfect match with a moist banana cake!

Sara said...

If it's your favorite, then of course I have to try it, right :)? Looks delicious!

Nicole said...

wow! looks good!

Cristine said...

Looks incredible! YUM!

grace said...

banana baked goods are always a hit, and tossing in some caramel (and cinnamon!) is a stroke of genius. yum.
meanwhile, cooperstown is right down the road from me--hello, hello!

Donna-FFW said...

If youre telling me its that good, I am trying it, looks fabulous Ingrid!

Eliana said...

Great job Ingrid. This cake looks wonderful. (Thanks for your support).

oneordinaryday said...

Oohh. This looks really, really delicious!!

Hey - fill me in on foodbuzz. What's it all about?

Jaime said...

figures. I just took 2 loaves of banana bread out of the oven and then I see this! I am bookmarking it!

Bunny said...

Sorry about not being here this week Ingrid, I think they're trying to kill me at work. I've got bananas with this cake written all over it!! It sounds gooey and oh soooooo good!!!

Deeba PAB said...

What an amazing cake...& the caramel just takes it to another level...YUM!

Unknown said...

This looks delish! I have a couple favorite banana cakes but am always happy to add another to my list!

Maria said...

I can't wait to make this one. I love banana recipes!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm glad you like my music! I also clean the apartment while listening to it ;-P...

Cheers,

Rosa

Teanna said...

Oh MAN! So many banana cakes to choose from! I am making your Banana and Cream Cake with Browned Butter Glaze for the 4th of July and I CANT WAIT! I kid you not, Ingrid, I cannot stop thinking about it!

Risa said...

I know my boyfriend would love this recipe! I am bookmarking it for him.

ErinsFoodFiles said...

YUM! I've made a Banana Caramel cake, but it was in my pre-blogging days. All I remember, is that it was DELICIOUS!

Justin said...

yum. i'm looking through blogs for what to do with my extra over-ripe bananas, and this is looking very good

Katy ~ said...

This looks positively, positively FABULOUS! I WANT this!!!!

spike. said...

what an amazing cake!

Snooky doodle said...

this cake looks delicious, I m trying thi
s recipe for sure :)

Karine said...

I hope you still have some for me!!! It looks amazing!

Jaime said...

by the way - after I read your post I started eating my banana bread loaf with some caramel sauce drizzled over the top - yum :) glad I had some sitting in my fridge leftover from another recipe

junko said...

What a super amazing idea!! I love carmel!.... and I love you blog!

alicia said...

wow..that is mouthwatering!!! i LOVE caramel...oh my goodness i need to make this haha.. reminds me of the sticky toffee pudding!! im definitely making this tomorrow!! delicious!

Stacy Hoover said...

Yum, yum, YUM!!!!! I made my banana bread yesterday but the next time I have some sad looking bananas, this is so going to be the recipe that I use! Love the blog!

becky said...

if loving bananas and caramel is wrong... i don't want to be right... there's nothing better then something dripping with caramel!!

cocoa and coconut said...

What a combination! This looks so moist...